Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
If you stick to web: front end, back end, full-stack, dev-ops, etc. I think you're fine without a degree. When the market looks like this anything will help though, but I still see non-degree people get in over degree people all the time.

Where I think the CS degree is valuable are the CS jobs outside of the web like embedded systems, hardware or a specialized field that wants someone who got credits for math and/or physics. That's much more difficult to break into without a formal education and something someone has the flexibility of turning to when the market gets bad and they need a job to hold over.

Last edited:

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lots of layoffs again in my field of advertising. Dentsu (one of the worlds largest agencies) announced a bunch of layoffs and that's after a mass layoff in december. Advertising hires a lot of tech workers but typically tech isn't as impacted as other functions like marketing and HR

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
While it's still simple, it's crazy to see how fast it was set-up end-to-end.

:wow:

Single-use apps will be a huge thing. If you need to solve a unique problem, and nobody has ever done software for that because not enough market. With an LLM even a problem with only one user, will be doable, enter your ask, and code gets written, problem gets solved. Runtime ends, app dies. Done. Single use apps are born.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

US job growth strong in March, unemployment falls to 3.5 percent​

The strong job numbers could lead the Fed to continue to raise interest rates.

:patrice:

This is why all of these 'numbers' are pure fantasy.

All these companies are laying off en masse, I haven't heard of anyone going on a hiring spree, yet the unemployment rate is going down and the housing prices are also staying put despite much higher interest rates, just generally high inflation eating up buyers' income to spend on housing, low demand and an unstable economy.

Almost feels like an engineered collapse to me.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City

All these companies are laying off en masse, I haven't heard of anyone going on a hiring spree, yet the unemployment rate is going down and the housing prices are also staying put despite much higher interest rates, just generally high inflation eating up buyers' income to spend on housing, low demand and an unstable economy.

I don’t trust those job numbers too. I think everything is being manipulated to avoid another run on banks and to avoid further weakening the US dollar.

greenvale

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Delaware

It's not really that far fetched. Most of the companies that are laying off are barely making a dent in the numbers they over hired during the pandemic. Secondly, a ton of people died, and the largest generation (boomers) are retiring.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

US job growth strong in March, unemployment falls to 3.5 percent​

The strong job numbers could lead the Fed to continue to raise interest rates.

:patrice:
don't they still count gigs (i.e. uber driver) in the job numbers? I remember that was a big thing Obama was pushing for which opened the slippery slopes of people demanding benefits from gig jobs.