JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Sir ZDuke

All Star
Daps
:childplease:

I had 2 final interviews last year (3 rounds of interviews for each job) and after reaching out to the recruiter for an update, I never heard back.

I eventually received an automated rejection email 2 months later when I already moved on and forgot about it, and the second one I never heard back, not even a rejection email.

Then I had another horrible experience with another recruiter. He contacted me on 3 different occasions within 6 months for 3 different roles with the same company that I applied for. Every time he would reach out to me for my availability to interview, he then would ghost me every time I provide him with my availability (I was available at all times). He pissed me off so much I wanted to report him so bad but had no idea how.

Anyways, so far I had more negative experiences with recruiters than positive ones.
Third time, you should’ve been fukk an availability, come get this fade boy

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
contractors always make more (because they don't get benefits), PHD in big tech doesn't really mean much lol.

this shyt is clickbait, you gotta look at the nuances.
I work for a major big tech company as a UX Researcher. Every single person on my team has a PhD. I've never worked at a company where every single researcher (managers included) have PhDs. I mean some jobs there will be me and a few people. But every single person is crazy.

Also, you really don't need a PhD to do this work. In fact, a lot of PhDs only have grad school experience and don't know how to do industry research. Like simple things like making sure to do a usability test on your product before releasing it aren't happening at the company I work for, because they're just doing interview techniques they learned in school or only do quant research with statistics. Stats are important, for sure, but you can't forget the qual side and you can't forget to do basic stuff like usability tests. Then the company wonders why people are confused in the product.

Anyway, I mention that to just say that tech companies like PhDs a lot, even for contractors. Going from $90 to $45 an hour is a big cut. Big Tech is in trouble, and you can thank Apple for that, due to their tracking policies implemented a few years ago.

I actually hate my job. I deal with ads all day, it's super stressful, people are freaking out about getting laid off, managers are freaking out about losing their jobs, everybody is trying to start large scale products to show value. I get a new outrageous request every other day with a super strict timeline. It's stressful. I wouldn't mind getting laid off. The pay and benefits are great, and that's what keeps me, but it's not a fun job.

I kinda want to get into the healthcare field. It appears to be more stable, and it would be actually working on products to help people, as opposed to working on products where the sole goal is to get you to click on as many ads as possible.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I work for a major big tech company as a UX Researcher. Every single person on my team has a PhD. I've never worked at a company where every single researcher (managers included) have PhDs. I mean some jobs there will be me and a few people. But every single person is crazy.

Also, you really don't need a PhD to do this work. In fact, a lot of PhDs only have grad school experience and don't know how to do industry research. Like simple things like making sure to do a usability test on your product before releasing it aren't happening at the company I work for, because they're just doing interview techniques they learned in school or only do quant research with statistics. Stats are important, for sure, but you can't forget the qual side and you can't forget to do basic stuff like usability tests. Then the company wonders why people are confused in the product.

Anyway, I mention that to just say that tech companies like PhDs a lot, even for contractors. Going from $90 to $45 an hour is a big cut. Big Tech is in trouble, and you can thank Apple for that, due to their tracking policies implemented a few years ago.

I actually hate my job. I deal with ads all day, it's super stressful, people are freaking out about getting laid off, managers are freaking out about losing their jobs, everybody is trying to start large scale products to show value. I get a new outrageous request every other day with a super strict timeline. It's stressful. I wouldn't mind getting laid off. The pay and benefits are great, and that's what keeps me, but it's not a fun job.

I kinda want to get into the healthcare field. It appears to be more stable, and it would be actually working on products to help people, as opposed to working on products where the sole goal is to get you to click on as many ads as possible.
Ive worked with enough ivy league folks where all these degrees mean nothing to me lol. Unless you got patents that impact my life i dont care what the person has done cause lotta people who tote their educational credentials arent good at their job

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Ive worked with enough ivy league folks where all these degrees mean nothing to me lol. Unless you got patents that impact my life i dont care what the person has done cause lotta people who tote their educational credentials arent good at their job
True. I worked in big oil in the past, and a lot of those engineers and geologists have both. I was super impressed with the talent this big oil company had (I had to interview them when we were testing internal software).

I've told other people that degrees really don't matter. I like learning and wanted to have it for my resume, but I don't think it made me any more prepared for my first UX job than I would have been if I only had a BA. I learned pretty much everything by doing it in real life, on the job. The degrees help out a lot though with interviewing and salary. I don't regret getting my PhD at all. It's needed to play in certain spheres. But does one really need a PhD to do this work, no

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Plus, having seen what these cacs and their "civilization " has wrought the last 700 years, I welcome our AI overlords knocking them off the perch.
Don’t think you understand what AI is. Regardless of how advanced it gets, a human will always own it. Now, the question is who do you want the owners to be? White? Nonwhite?

Y’all don’t fully understand what is in front of you.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
True. I worked in big oil in the past, and a lot of those engineers and geologists have both. I was super impressed with the talent this big oil company had (I had to interview them when we were testing internal software).

I've told other people that degrees really don't matter. I like learning and wanted to have it for my resume, but I don't think it made me any more prepared for my first UX job than I would have been if I only had a BA. I learned pretty much everything by doing it in real life, on the job. The degrees help out a lot though with interviewing and salary. I don't regret getting my PhD at all. It's needed to play in certain spheres. But does one really need a PhD to do this work, no
I think education important in learning the science of stuff, but most folks dont have passion in tech to really dig deep to understand stuff, they just get the degree and binge interview prep material

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I think education important in learning the science of stuff, but most folks dont have passion in tech to really dig deep to understand stuff, they just get the degree and binge interview prep material
Yeah, it depends on what you do. Like these geologists and scientists at this oil company needed to have the PhD to do their work. They needed that really specialized knowledge. With the social sciences, it's less necessary.

I think computer scientists/engineers might benefit from having a PhD too, given the stuff they work on. I work in ads, and all the engineers do crazy things at such a large scale. I'd imagine they need to have the education to do that, but then again there are people that can do it without going to college at all. They don't work at my company, but I know they exist.

Really, in my field, it's just a stamp on your resume that says, "look I did something that not many people have done. Hire me because of that. " It's nice to sign things with " , PhD" too. Not gonna lie.

I think these tech companies like to hire PhDs because they assume they must be good at their jobs or they wouldn't have been able to get a PhD. If you have to choose between somebody without a PhD and somebody with a PhD, I guess a lot of these tech companies simply assume the person with the PhD is the better choice. Maybe it is statistically...I don't know. I do know I probably wouldn't have even been considered for the role without the degree though.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Bro I wanted it so bad, I thought about writing him an email telling him that he ain't shyt but then I was like fukk him he isn't worth my time.

Last month I saw on LinkedIn that he got laid off though
Man, recruiters can be really good and really terrible. Unless they work for the actual company you are applying for, they pretty much just straight up lie to you (at least in my experience). Sorry you had to go through that bullshyt. You're right, it isn't worth your time. A lot of recruiters just suck.

Sauce Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Man, recruiters can be really good and really terrible. Unless they work for the actual company you are applying for, they pretty much just straight up lie to you (at least in my experience). Sorry you had to go through that bullshyt. You're right, it isn't worth your time. A lot of recruiters just suck.
Especially when you've been laid off and looking for a new job and get an email from a recruiter, you get this sense of hope in you only for them never to come through, which messes with your mental

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Don’t think you understand what AI is. Regardless of how advanced it gets, a human will always own it. Now, the question is who do you want the owners to be? White? Nonwhite?

Y’all don’t fully understand what is in front of you.
Narrow AI? Sure
But full expansive AI (which we are a ways away) is taking all of the intelligence from our best and brightest and combining it into a singularity that we as humans will never be able to keep up with or outmaneuver. Especially when we remain decided over dumb shyt.

Now, if we keep stacking all these narrow AI’s together it will accomplish the same task or expansive AI which when that happens, AI calling game on a bank shot 3 :mjcry: