Taraji P Henson Wants To Put The Focus Back On The Color Purple Following Her Comments About Unequal Pay

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
What a dummy.

:mjlol:

Step on your own project to air grievances and ruin your career by coming off as “difficult”brehettes. She could’ve played it so much better and now she proven she’s not worth paying because she brought no asses to the theater seats.
For the life of me, I don’t know how a black woman could've survived in Hollywood this long lacking this much foresight :wtf:. Shyt ain’t no different than corporate America. Hell, chicks in retail prolly move more strategically than her:mjlol:
Hallmark movies pay out for their top actresses apparently. She’s gonna be in those gas station promo vids that play when you fill up.
That’s why Viv said “I’m good” :sas1:
Might not have happened if she had listened/supported Monique who called out Oprah and the likes years ago but we all know how that went. The part that puzzles me though is if you didn't like what Oprah or her people offered you for the role why did you agree to it?
Because, like Monique, she took this role expecting nominations and recognition.
The film was NEVER gonna do well enough to justify 100+ million budget.. NO ONE asked for this movie.. Been in theaters a couple weeks and already shipped to tubi or some shyt.. They can blame taraji but oprah other films will be shelved..
Apparently that was why Oprah was so involved with the marketing of the film; she had her own deal riding on the success of this movie. :francis:
That's her reason for the fake apology. She used the press tour for the movie to rant about not being paid enough. The studio and other studios did not like that shyt. But it's too late now she done fukked up the Big boy's money, now she gon get dealt wit.
How could she not see that? Like, stars have definitely shared these complaints/issues before, including Viola Davis (“they call me the Black Meryl Streep; then pay me Meryl Streep money”). There’s simply a time to do it, and it’s not during a press run! It’s after.

Studios don’t care about her complaining lol
they only care about the bottom line

and The bottom line is u were never a box office draw.
And that’s part of the issue. Do white supporting actresses make more than black supporting actresses? Yes. Do they get more chances when their films aren’t box office hits? Yes.

So I understand why Taraji is upset. Her issues are valid. But at the end of the day, we know we are judged differently. If she hasn’t been a big draw, then they won’t be breaking her off with A list $. :yeshrug:
Where's those dummies that was taking a dump on Vivica for saying out of this bulllshyt
Good question lol

Bleed The Freak

Superstar
Daps
For the life of me, I don’t know how a black woman could've survived in Hollywood this long lacking this much foresight :wtf:. Shyt ain’t no different than corporate America. Hell, chicks in retail prolly move more strategically than her:mjlol:

Because, like Monique, she took this role expecting nominations and recognition.

Apparently that was why Oprah was so involved with the marketing of the film; she had her own deal riding on the success of this movie. :francis:

How could she not see that? Like, stars have definitely shared these complaints/issues before, including Viola Davis (“they call me the Black Meryl Streep; then pay me Meryl Streep money”). There’s simply a time to do it, and it’s not during a press run! It’s after.

And that’s part of the issue. Do white supporting actresses make more than black supporting actresses? Yes. Do they get more chances when their films aren’t box office hits? Yes.

So I understand why Taraji is upset. Her issues are valid. But at the end of the day, we know we are judged differently. If she hasn’t been a big draw, then they won’t be breaking her off with A list $. :yeshrug:

Good question lol

Any grievances that she had about her pay or what her salary was supposed to be handled behind close doors and not during the promoting of the film

Sbp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans

Good question lol
Either something happened to where she was pissed at the studio Oprah or maybe ger co-stars or she got something going on in her personal life that we don't know about finances, mental health/ego or drugs. I think somebody said she actually got paid 10 million for the movie which doesn't make sense because if she did no way she would've acted the way she did. But if she really was lowballed she still self sabotaged because she was the biggest name in the movie and had she just promoted the movie I'm sure more roles would've been thrown her way. Or maybe she felt the movie was ass and feels played about taking less money for the role :yeshrug:

Cladyclad

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit Lions, Michigan Wolverines & LWO

Good question lol
I need examples of white supporting actresses

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
I would have watched a remake that was NOT a musical.

Imagine a remake but with white folks :lupe:

Instead of Georgia, they can have it in some buttville small county of West Virginia.

shyt would move like Gangbusters with cacs trying to autotune "God's Trying to Tell You Something" :wow:

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
Totally inappropriate considering the seriousness and tone of the film.

Yeah. The original flick actually opened up some dark tales that are within Georgia.

• Incest
  • Pedophilia
  • Racism
  • Maid=blue collar slavery
  • Mister being the embodiment of a small town scumbag

It also showed the value of a black woman and how strong they are, which could have worked if the movie had maybe a darker tone, no fukking musical, and took place in modern times. Maybe a city like setting, since these vices and generational curses are a thing to this very day.

Instead, we got this safe ass mess of a musical THAT NOBODY ASKED FOR!! :mindblown:

fukk Oprah :camby:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is why I never spoke on this. I didn't want to come against a black brehette getting what she's due, but the timing just never made sense to me.

This probably made some people feel conflicted about seeing the movie. I ain't heard one thing about the movie, it's been all about Taraji.

Welp

Thats because nobody cared or asked for a Color Purple movie,not a remake,not a musical. Then you made a musical with singers who arent even that relevant to their own generation. And I like Fantasia,but she was never that type of draw. Maybe theres other singers in the movie who are more popular, i think Hailey Bailey is in it:comeon:? She maybe tricked 1000 people into going,who misread the movie poster and thought Halle Berry was going to be in the film.

This movie was doomed for the start. But yall are still letting black media off the hook. How is it Tarajis fault that black media decided to zero in on the messiest thing they could? If a white woman talked about equal pay for women in Hollywood it wouldve been a footnote of the movie. But black folks had to debate it for weeks,plus find other black people to drag into it:francis:.

And not in a very constructive way unfortunately.