Tanzanian official claims he would love for African-Americans to live in in Tanzania

31Flavors

Guilty Pleasure
Daps
Article said:
The theme of this week's Leon H. Sullivan Summit in Equatorial Guinea is "Africa Rising," but the conversation about improvement, innovation and growth isn't limited by any means to the continent. It extends to people of African descent throughout the world, a Diaspora that the African Union in 2005 deemed "Africa's sixth region."

And some want the inhabitants of that "region" -- black people in the United States, the Caribbean and wherever else they may live -- to be able to live and work in African countries with all the rights and privileges of those who were born there.

The issue of creating a continent-wide platform of dual citizenship infused conversations throughout the conference, with Wednesday's "The Return of the Diaspora" plenary session bringing government, academia and business leaders together to discuss this proposition, in addition to "where the greatest synergies between Africa and the Diaspora have been shared."

For Khamis Suedi Kagasheki, Tanzania's minister of natural resources and tourism, who explained that dual-citizenship legislation is "held up in parliament" in his country, it can't pass soon enough. Although he predicts that a law of permanent residency will precede it, Kagesheki already has his eye especially on African Americans -- not just as vacationers, but as citizen investors in a growing tourism industry. Why? Because of our enormous (in global terms) wealth.

"I remember reading something whereby the African-Americans in the United States, if they were constituted as a country, could be almost the 16th largest economy in the world. I think that means quite a lot as far as what is available within the hands and the powers of the African Americans and what could be done in Tanzania if they could operate here as citizens," he told The Root.

Kagesheki, who also talked at length about development and opportunities for entrepreneurship in Tanzania, has his pitch to African Americans ready, when and if a policy of dual citizenship is implemented in his country. "At the end of the day, I think we spring from the same root," he said. "We are looking forward to a day when this could bring forth something meaningful. I tend to believe the world of tomorrow is very much in Africa ... I think the time has come."

Dual Citizenship: Does Africa Want Us Back?

Interesting stuff

hatechall

Banned
Daps
Reppin
universe
I'm all for Pan-Africanism.

However, I can't see repatriation working on a large scale until Africans begin to rise up out of poverty, at which point they probably wouldn't want us.

Bringing in immigrants who are wealthier and more educated than the host population creates resentment. Just look at South Africa:mjpls:.

31Flavors

Guilty Pleasure
Daps
I'm all for Pan-Africanism.

However, I can't see repatriation working on a large scale until Africans begin to rise up out of poverty, at which point they probably wouldn't want us.

Bringing in immigrants who are wealthier and more educated than the host population creates resentment. Just look at South Africa:mjpls:.
It would work just fine if the repats lay low until they outnumber the natives a good amount

31Flavors

Guilty Pleasure
Daps
:francis:That's an imperial mentality. I don't want to replace the natives. I'd rather see them building prosperous societies for themselves.

Africans would throw Black Americans under the bus if it meant them and their culture could thrive.

Pan-Africanism doesnt work. I wish for Africans to do well, sure but if Africans have to take an L for AA's to prosper than so be it.