Ta-Nehisi Coates interview.... This Tony Dokoupil cat is disgusting as fukkk tho....

concise

Veteran
Daps
Why even have Gayle and Nate on set for that set up :francis:

Ta-Nehisi handled it like a pro, and like others said, it sold his book better than some softball questions could.

I googled Tony, and his father was a drug dealer who used real estate as a front. He has two kids living in Israel right now with his ex-wife who got him to...

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
It's interesting how mad people are about this. I haven't read the book yet, but I don't think it's out of bounds for a journalist to question things a person has written a book on. And they weren't difficult questions, they were essentially questions for him to clarify his positions.

Also, I'm glad Gail and Nate stayed out of it. I was able to get a lot out this and others will too.

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
It's interesting how mad people are about this. I haven't read the book yet, but I don't think it's out of bounds for a journalist to question things a person has written a book on. And they weren't difficult questions, they were essentially questions for him to clarify his positions.

Also, I'm glad Gail and Nate stayed out of it. I was able to get a lot out this and others will too.
The point is that morning TV usually doesn’t operate in such a confrontational manner. Additionally his questions were of the standard Zionist variety- no engagement with the actual reality of what’s happening just a desire to paint the person as anti semetic. And him saying an extremist with a backpack was wildly out of bounds implying he’s like a suicide bomber. If he’s an extremist I guess the whole world outside of a couple of western countries are extremists.

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
The point is that morning TV usually doesn’t operate in such a confrontational manner. Additionally his questions were of the standard Zionist variety- no engagement with the actual reality of what’s happening just a desire to paint the person as anti semetic. And him saying an extremist with a backpack was wildly out of bounds implying he’s like a suicide bomber. If he’s an extremist I guess the whole world outside of a couple of western countries are extremists.
I guess that's one way to see it. By asking me a question, you are giving me power to provide my viewpoint. I don't know how anyone can listen to this and not be somewhat sympathetic to the Palestinian cause (and you realize there is nothing extremist about his position).

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
I guess that's one way to see it. By asking me a question, you are giving me power to provide my viewpoint. I don't know how anyone can listen to this and not be somewhat sympathetic to the Palestinian cause (and you realize there is nothing extremist about his position).
Your book is in the backpack of terrorist isn’t even a question though.

He’s trying to frame the book, that hasn’t been released yet, for people watching as something inflammatory.

We aren’t talking about debating a publicly available book like Othello. We are talking about a host asking question to get at the background of the book.

I’ve watched this dude. He’s done interviews a thousand times and the normal fluffy chef and book releases.

Also. He throws his own 2 cents in at the end instead of moving on.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/3
@adamjohnsonCHI
Well here come the hits. Within the first 30 seconds Tony Dokoupil more or less calls Coates a terrorist lover then vomits out every dum dum pro Israel cliche before Coates can even get a word out.

[Quoted tweet]
Ta-Nehisi Coates’ new book, “The Message,” is a trio of interconnected essays that examine how the stories people tell — or avoid telling — can shape and even distort reality: “I am most concerned always with those that don’t have a voice.” cbsn.ws/4gJxe2g

2/3
@adamjohnsonCHI
We even get a “why don’t Palestinians have agency??” drop a la 2016. Coates is denying agency, repeat, Coates is an A G E N C Y D E N I E R

3/3
@db_maggi
Tony Dokoupil has memorized the entire zionist playbook.

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/2
@scottwoodssays
"Dokoupil’s lead-in has a lot of things wrapped up in it – his Jewishness, his feelings, his knee-jerk Zionist defense mechanisms – but what’s also present is a very white, very American thing: his white supremacy."

I had words for this.

Ta-Nehisi Coates versus the limit of unimaginative whiteness

2/2
@VioletWspeaks
@tonydokoupil 's arrogance and condensing tone are only matched by his wife @KatyTurNBC. I appreciate curious journalists, not those who use the time trying to show us just how smart they think they are.

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196