Ta-Nehisi Coates interview.... This Tony Dokoupil cat is disgusting as fukkk tho....

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
At no point did he really engage with anything Coates said. He basically set out the same trap that's always set out, and Coates happened to avoid it better than anyone I've seen. If this is a moral issue comparable to past ones like slavery or apartheid, it's really hard to lose the argument

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Dude said we need more Arab voices in media rooms and white dude acted like “ But what about the Jewish side of things”

:dahell:

We got 24 hrs of news but not enough time to talk in-depth from multiple view points?

Same thing Hollyweird does whenever saying minorities talk about more opportunities behind the camera.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Book preordered.

To be fair, the cac beautifully gave an example of what Coates was trying to explain.

Some stories are simply not told and the world is shaped on the stories that are.

Such a simple concept, yet such a dangerous one. Look no further than the "dogs and cats" lie that was spread against Haitians.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I posted this in the thread in Higher Learning -

But this was nasty work - Coates is a brilliant and straightforward advocate - he has a moral stance that is virtually impossible to undermine and applies it well here.

You never hear this line of question from soft journalists unless its about Israel
The dishonest line of questioning actually made me want to read the book. Every point Coates pushed back at him was truth. He had to fall back at the end, and he still didn't get a gotcha moment.

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

1/1
Ta-Nehisi Coates’ new book, “The Message,” is a trio of interconnected essays that examine how the stories people tell — or avoid telling — can shape and even distort reality: “I am most concerned always with those that don’t have a voice.” Author Ta-Nehisi Coates talks new book "The Message"

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

1/3
@CBSMornings
Ta-Nehisi Coates’ new book, “The Message,” is a trio of interconnected essays that examine how the stories people tell — or avoid telling — can shape and even distort reality: “I am most concerned always with those that don’t have a voice.” Author Ta-Nehisi Coates talks new book "The Message"

2/3
@BasharZapen
He may have read the book, but definitely didn't get the message.

3/3
@tacobueller
He didn’t read the book. He was just given his talking points.

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Also....I don't know the other brother, he seemed happy just to have a job....but Gayle King....

:mjpls:
That’s Nate Burleson. Former NFL receiver. He’s a color guy for day time shows like Strahan after he transitioned to Good Morning America.

It’s a promo run for a morning show. I commend them for letting that guy look unhinged and keep it moving. I’m sure the preproduction meeting was a little different.

Jean toomer

Superstar
Daps

This was an embarrassing attempt to destroy the man’s book. One of the more shameful media interviews I’ve seen in a long time. Nate and Gail had nothing to say about the two other aspects of the book - black focused topics…..A stark reminder that black faces in media are generally just pawns.
Finally, Doukapils wife, Katy Tur, is also trash, and a low level journalist…nothing to do with the topic, I just want to hate.

Nabs

Superstar
Daps
Why even have Gayle and Nate on set for that set up :francis:

Ta-Nehisi handled it like a pro, and like others said, it sold his book better than some softball questions could.

I googled Tony, and his father was a drug dealer who used real estate as a front. He has two kids living in Israel right now with his ex-wife who got him to...

ucanthandlethetruth

Failure is not a option
Daps
Reppin
Planet of Hip Hop
Should have went harder on that fakkit
:dame:
This was an embarrassing attempt to destroy the man’s book. One of the more shameful media interviews I’ve seen in a long time. Nate and Gail had nothing to say about the two other aspects of the book - black focused topics…..A stark reminder that black faces in media are generally just pawns.
Finally, Doukapils wife, Katy Tur, is also trash, and a low level journalist…nothing to do with the topic, I just want to hate.
We know what kind of devil Gail is and Nate is a safe negro. Dude being married to expired milk Katy Tur explains everything.