Ta-Nehisi Coates Deletes Twitter Account After Feud with Cornel West :snoop:

Daps
This is the problem I have with how most people respond to West.

Yes, we know West has his faults. But I wish people would actually try to refute/address the points he is making rather than just resort to personal attacks on the man himself.

That's the crutch of anyone who is either ill-equipped, too time strapped, or just flat out too lazy to rebut an opposing argument. But having said that, if personal attacks also illustrate inconsistencies in thought, I think it's fair game. I think Cobb did a fairly good job of that in his analysis, and I generally side with Cornel on many of his positions.

Pirius Black

Superstar
Daps
"The reason Coates is so popular amongst white liberals is thathe allows one to simultaneously acknowledge the historical and contemporary injustices being leviedagainst black people in America, while not taking any meaningful actions to disrupt it. He provides a safe spacewhere they can discharge the cognitive dissonance and engage in theperformative wokeness of a cosmeticrevolutionary. "
The supreme irony of this statement is that West and his white stans are guilty if this in spades. West is a kept radical, teaching the children of the elite while hob knobbing with them at school fundraisers, such a cosmetic revolutionary to borrow your term. The man literally teaches on a campus that is one giant safe space!
:russ:
"To eschew more in-reach policies (Universal Healthcare, free college tuition, reigning in WallStreet, getting money out of politics, etc) that will significantly and meaningfullyalleviate the struggles of the black underclass in favour of a single-minded quixotic quest for reparations is juvenile"
Wow, it's like you never read a true history of the New Deal. FDR's New Deal was written in color blind, non discriminatory language. But 90% of blacks were excluded nonetheless because the people implementing the policies, powerful Southern congressmen, wrote in a provision excluding Agricultural and Domestic workers. Want to take a guess what the vast majorities of Negroes were doing for employment circa 1929? You have the nerve to call reparations a quixotic quest but you somehow think that Single payer healthcare is a reasonable outcome ?? Free college tuition won't mean jackshyt if the majority of our kids are trapped in failing public schools but its a nice giveaway to white millenials that "Feel the Bern." Please stop with this meaningless Occupy Era slogans, getting money out of politics is retarded, you might as well try to get running out of football. Money didn't stop Bernie from losing to Hillary and it didn't prevent her from losing to Trump.
Universalist policies will never fix race specific issues. But hey, if you think that sacrificing cold hard cash for universal pablum that will disproportionately benefit other groups over us go for It. None of that Bernie backed bullshyt will mean shyt for the underclass. I helped to register ex felons down here in Alabama for the recent election. None of the guys cared about free college, reigning in Wall Street, their needs were re enfranchisement, police harassment, affordable housing, an end to the drug war and jobs playboy. But go ahead and think that A speculative tax on wall street or capping dark money in politics is gonna move a single person out of poverty.:lolbron:
Finally, you rag on Coates for not proposing a feel good solution but honestly, absent a revolution, wall street and the MIC are here to stay. But I'm sure an interracial protest movement--the kind West is at home in-- is the panacea to all our ills:mjlol:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
https://www.theroot.com/from-an-ex-neo-liberal-why-ta-nehisi-coates-keeps-talk-1821429336

From an Ex-Neoliberal: Why Ta-Nehisi Coates Keeps Talking About White Supremacy
Michael HarriotYesterday 1:07pm
szqhovus25rd5tx6lltc.jpg

Cornel West in 2016 (Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images); Ta-Nehisi Coates in 2015 (Anna Webber/Getty Images)
I love Cornel West. Part of the reason I am a fan of his is that, before my nonfame and lack of fortune at The Root, I taught a college-level course called “Race as an Economic Construct.” The idea of the course was to eliminate the subjectivity of race theory by explaining race in America through the lens of statistics and economics.

It was, at its core, the most neoliberal thing ever.

When this topic surfaced at the New York Times, the entire staff at The Root had a heated discussion that got intense at times. Contributing editor Angela Helm, Senior Reporter Terrell J. Starr and Associate Editor Kirsten West Savali suggested that we invite West in to expound on this and other topics, fully expecting him to dismiss us. After all, he is a world-renowned academic busy saving the world.

He showed up the next day.

To his credit, he sat down with Starr and Helm to answer every question they posed for over an hour. Starr asked him pointedly to explain his definition of a neoliberal:

TJS: What is a neoliberal? A lot of us have heard that word, but we don’t know exactly what it is.

CW: Well, “neoliberal” is somebody of any color who sees a social problem and does three things; privatize, financialize and militarize. You’ve got a problem in the schools, privatize the schools, push back public education. Bring in the financiers, the profiteers. Make money on the test, make money on the teachers while you push out the teachers unions, and then you militarize the schools. You bring in security. We’ve got precious young brothers and sisters in the hoods going to schools like you and I going through the airport. That’s the militarization of the schools. Police, the same way. Outsource, militarize right across the board, so that a neoliberal is somebody who is obsessed with markets.

West’s characterization of neoliberalism is opinionated but largely correct. Neoliberals are the idealistic capitalists who believe that inequality can be solved by a complex combination of free markets and the idea that a majority of people (black or white) are good. They are usually 6-foot-2 white guys who left the Republican Party to vote Libertarian and believe in individual liberty. (Believe me, I recognize the irony in me calling West’s definition “opinionated.”) They think free-market capitalism is the cure for the woes of white supremacy, and focusing on race is one-dimensional and outdated.

Writer Ta-Nehisi Coates declared that he was leaving Twitter on Monday when white supremacist Richard Spencer seconded West’s assertion that Coates is a “neoliberal darling” who “fetishizes white supremacy.”

Lost in West’s criticism of Coates is an insidious undercurrent that repeatedly asks, “Why does he talk about race so much?”

In the New York Times interview that kick-started the beef between West and the public apparition of Coates (so far, Coates has declined to make this a “feud,” sticking to the Nas-vs.-Jay-Z philosophy of “keeping it on wax”), many of Coates’ fans laced up their 5411s, smeared Vaseline on their faces and were ready to ride out, insisting that West “keep Coates’ name out his mouth.”

I hesitate to call West’s callouts a “beef” because Coates is seemingly disinterested in becoming Biggie to West’s Tupac-ish shenanigans. (And yes, they have risen to the level of “shenanigans” because, even in the merit-based part of West’s argument, there is an undeniable level of saltiness that extends past the text of Coates’ writing.) Coates seems willing to defend his works, while it feels as if West wants to attack Coates personally. West’s disdain seems palpable. I fully expect West’s next op-ed to begin with a “Hit ’Em Up”-like preamble, “That’s why I ... ”—

You know what? Let’s not go there.

This is not to say that West’s characterization of Coates’ work has no merit. However one feels about former President Barack Obama, West’s contention that it is impossible to separate America’s unique brand of capitalism from white supremacy, thereby making the captain of the vessel—Obama, in this case—complicit in white supremacy, is worthy of examination. West also rightly points out that class, patriarchy and economics are all inextricably interwoven into the ball of yarn that is white supremacy.

Holding Coates’ feet to the fire and requiring him to take a more complex, bird’s-eye view of how this puzzle fits together is not only the right but the responsibility of a learned elder like West. Whether capitalism and greed created white supremacy or vice versa is a question of circular logic that may never be answered, although we must always pose it to ourselves. Requiring that Coates address that catechism in a text constructed around an entirely different subject might be unfair, but it is not completely out of bounds.

Even in his conversation with The Root, West cast his criticism in more nuance, explaining that Coates was a “brilliant brother, and we’ve got much to learn from him.” But West continued:

I just don’t like talking about white supremacy independent of the empire and patriarchy, especially of class. I think that we can’t be pre-Du Bois. Du Bois taught us white supremacy is always to be viewed in relation to class patriarchy and empire and homophobia and transphobia. If you’re talking about white supremacy as if it’s up here, you end up acting as if it’s all-powerful because it looks like it’s winning all the time, it’s winning all the time.

But it is the extra shyt that makes West look like Michael Jordan throwing marbles on the court while LeBron James is breaking away for another awe-inspiring dunk. And with West—God love his brilliant soul—there is always the extra shyt. Always.

Part of the accusations leveled by West is Coates’ obsession with race as defined by West—namely, white supremacy. In The Guardian op-ed that called Coates the “neoliberal face of the black freedom struggle,” West proclaimed that Coates “fetishizes white supremacy. He makes it almighty, magical and unremovable.” He paints Coates’ perception of white people as “tribal” and his view of white supremacy as “fatalistic.”

We have heard this before.

Last week, in an interview published by the National Review that sounded faintly like a slave master lamenting the fact that his best buck learned how to read, Andrew Sullivan said of Coates:

I brought a lot of readers to his blog and helped him get where he is. I think he’s a beautiful writer and a very, very sharp mind. I deeply regret where he ended up. ... And I think Beyond the World and Me [sic] was a really terrible book. Just the crudeness of it, in the despair of it, in the melodrama of it. It terribly disappointed me, and similarly his public position that we live in some crushing white supremacy, which I don’t believe we do, or that African Americans have no agency in terms of their lives and their future and that they haven’t made huge strides in this country and are not one of the most powerful and dominant cultural and political forces. So I don’t see it the way he does. I certainly respect him, but I find myself deeply alienated by his current politics. He didn’t used to be this doctrinaire or so absorbed by the sort of social justice left, but here we are.

Coates is a walking, talking, living, breathing explainer of the history and impact of white supremacy. He is adept at tethering the modern version of white supremacy to America’s long legacy of racism. Coates uses historical reflections to parallel the freedom struggle of 2017 to our nation’s previous incarnations of racial inequality. While Coates’ unfiltered method of exposing white supremacy might be controversial, it is also undeniable. His texts are nothing if not receipt-laden.

That tends to give white people the heebie-jeebies, and—while it may seem like a “fetishization” to some—the people whose anal cavities clench tight at the simple mention of the words “white supremacy” are the opposite of the neoliberals whom West wants to lump in as the lovers of Coates’ work.

There is unquestionably a trend toward neoliberalism in the discussion of race and white supremacy. West rightly points it out, because in this entire combustible conversation describing the co-opting of racial inequality by neoliberals and turning it into a euphemistic discussion of every other thing besides the evil perpetrated toward black America, there is no one more qualified to talk about it than the original-recipe darling of neoliberalism: the esteemed Cornel West.

West’s characterization of Coates’ work is valid only to those who misunderstand the entire meaning of neoliberalism. In fact, West’s philosophy of intertwining Wall Street, patriarchy and economic inequality is the basis of neoliberal thought.

I should know, because I was one of them.

In my idealism, I believed that white supremacy could be explained and solved by tying this nation’s actions to the Darwinian greed of capitalism and the apathy toward minorities who stood in the way of the supremacy of Western civilization’s need for domination. I believed that white people would never accept the inherent evil of white supremacy without its being tied to the macro-political reality of free-market economics.

Neoliberals are perfectly willing to discuss how the trans-Atlantic slave trade was a byproduct of capitalism and how the Industrial Revolution was the real death knell for slavery. They will talk about patriarchy as a part of cultural anxiety. But if anyone mentions the national complicity of white America in historical racism, they, like West, will accuse you of “fetishizing” white supremacy, with the clarion call that heralds the wincing of white people who refuse to realize the permanent strain of white supremacy that is still infecting America:

“Why must you always talk about race?”

That is why West zooms past his unwillingness to confront what Jelani Cobb termed his “stanning” for Sen. Bernie Sanders. West conveniently leaves out how Sanders disagreed with Coates’ stance on reparations or why Black Lives Matter activists had to storm the stage at Sanders rallies before he’d even address race head-on. West allows for his homeboy Sanders’ moderate racial positions in the name of politics, but not Obama’s.

There are many people who believe that focusing on race actually creates divisiveness, even when incontrovertible facts are included in the dialogue. They believe that the subject of white supremacy must be made palatable for the practitioners of the art of racism, and pointing it out loudly and without nuance makes talking about race myopic and devoid of hope.

fukk those people.

Ask the mothers and fathers of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown Jr. about the “socioeconomic injustice” that pumped bullets into their bodies. Ask the children who attend inferior inner-city schools because white people don’t want to live next to them about the complexities of Wall Street. Macroeconomics, patriarchy and “pre-Du Bois thinking” never tossed a résumé in the trash because a black-sounding name was at the top.

The idea that one must address these separate but connected entities is correct at its core, but it is also neoliberal thinking at its highest level. Thinkers like Coates who address the inherent evil of white supremacy without muddying the argument with extraneous variables aren’t ignoring them. They are highlighting them.

When it comes to race, much of America is an ignorant kindergartner. West’s insistence that this country can’t understand the global mathematics of capitalism-fueled inequality without the calculus of macroeconomics is ultimately spot-on ...

But it is a fruitless exercise if they are unwilling to accept the simple math of white supremacy.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
This is stupid...... Cornel West shouldn't need to go this way to get publicity for himself...... Black intellectuals always getting into bullshyt over fame. Also Cornel has been on the wrong side of history...... for over a decade straight. Coates is right about WS and how it infects everything, even how we interact with each other.

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
The problem with Coates isn't that he's a bad writer, or that he's too famous, or whatever other personal/jealous motivations people accuse his critics of having, it's that his politics fukking suck. He identifies "white supremacy" only in its most superficial form because his politics don't enable him to focus his critiques at the engines truly propagating white supremacy, such as the financial system and the military-industrial-complex. I say that because while I know that Coates (relatively briefly) mentions these topics, there is nothing in his writing that necessarily brings one to the conclusion that in 2017, these institutional agents are the primary drivers of white supremacy, and their presence is incompatible with progress and revolution. He chooses to substitute them for an amorphous "White Supremacy" that gives his readers the space to replace the real perpetrators with whatever actor is most convenient to them, which, for white liberals, is Trump or whatever. This results in a dilution and obfuscation of the true nature of White Supremacy. Look at the politics of his most ardent fans. The proof is in the pudding.

Coates cannot abstract out to those levels because his politics are comfortably within those paradigms, and he refuses to focus on them because he is not a holistic thinker. He either elides or mutilates the true condition of the black body politic because his politics are incompatible with revolution and what it would entail. And that's ok! Not everyone has to be everything. He's not required to be a revolutionary. But he needs to be appropriately contextualized, and that has not been happing in the broader cultural discourse surrounding Coates, which paints him as one. My problem isn't even really with Coates, as I don't believe he is really trying to be a holistic writer/critic. My problem is with his legion of white and black stans who hold up his work as some panacea for black ills, in the lineage of true revolutionaries like Malcolm or Baldwin. Not only does Coates' writing/politics provide no meaningful solution to the political problems facing black people of this era, they contribute to the oppression by giving the agents and institutions of oppression cover by omission.

I find it annoying how everything comes back to the 2016 Primary/Election, but it is simply impossible to hold the level of uncritical fandom/support for Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama as an institutional actor that many of Coates' acolytes hold, and be serious about analyzing and undoing the levers of white supremacy. The reason Coates is so popular amongst white liberals is that he allows one to simultaneously acknowledge the historical and contemporary injustices being levied against black people in America, while not taking any meaningful actions to disrupt it. He provides a safe space where they can discharge the cognitive dissonance and engage in the performative wokeness of a cosmetic revolutionary.

And falling back on Coates' call for reparations to prove his radical credentials, as Jelani Cobb does here:

is totally idiotic when in the same breath you dismiss leftists in the mold of Bernie Sanders. To eschew more in-reach policies (Universal Healthcare, free college tuition, reigning in Wall Street, getting money out of politics, etc) that will significantly and meaningfully alleviate the struggles of the black underclass in favour of a single-minded quixotic quest for reparations is juvenile.

This whole argument ultimately comes down to Barack Obama.If you are pro-Obama, as the majority of his fanbase is, then you have to find a way to ignore or downplay the myriad of injustices that befell the black community (along with many other oppressed peoples) during Obama's tenure as the head of the American Empire because you love the symbolism of Obama sitting on the throne. If you cannot bring yourself to value the symbolism over the material results, you'll probably find issue with Coates and his work.

None of this is Coates fault.

Again, he can't be the author de jure AND the mechanic, plumber, and pilot of the movement.

White supremacy is LITERALLY at fault here. For most of it.

Because as I've shown here when the sort of economic "unity" and revolution ALWAYS leaves blacks out. So thats why Coates is so nihilistic about the whole affair. http://www.thecoli.com/threads/econ...l-until-non-white-people-want-benefits.591481

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This is the problem I have with how most people respond to West.

Yes, we know West has his faults. But I wish people would actually try to refute/address the points he is making rather than just resort to personal attacks on the man himself.
Well on that level alone, West loses me.

You can't keep pushing "well communist revolution is the answer to fixing racism"

Thats just kicking the can down the road.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
"The reason Coates is so popular amongst white liberals is that he allows one to simultaneously acknowledge the historical and contemporary injustices being levied against black people in America, while not taking any meaningful actions to disrupt it. He provides a safe space where they can discharge the cognitive dissonance and engage in the performative wokeness of a cosmetic revolutionary. "

The supreme irony of this statement is that West and his white stans are guilty if this in spades. West is a kept radical, teaching the children of the elite while hob knobbing with them at school fundraisers, such a cosmetic revolutionary to borrow your term. The man literally teaches on a campus that is one giant safe space!
:russ:

Those two statements are pretty much the perfect distillation of how stupid these stan wars are. :beli:

This is stupid...... Cornel West shouldn't need to go this way to get publicity for himself...... Black intellectuals always getting into bullshyt over fame. Also Cornel has been on the wrong side of history...... for over a decade straight. Coates is right about WS and how it infects everything, even how we interact with each other.

Doesn't that include both the time period when he was supporting Obama and the period when he was opposing Obama? How could he have been on the wrong side of history both times? Or are you talking about something more narrow and specific?

Wargames

Daps
Reppin
New York City
Those two statements are pretty much the perfect distillation of how stupid these stan wars are. :beli:

Doesn't that include both the time period when he was supporting Obama and the period when he was opposing Obama? How could he have been on the wrong side of history both times? Or are you talking about something more narrow and specific?

His support for Obama was very early and then while his original critique of Obama was valid. I think he took the backlash personal and became embittered and that changed his approach to most things afterwards. I would actually say that starting with his critique of Obama he seemed to have lost his way as a leader and became more of a critic.

Then again having read both him and Dyson. I always got this feeling that they did it as much for self-aggrandizement at being in their role of "Black Intellectual". Whereas with Dyson there was enough self awareness to embrace Obama because that was bigger than him, Cornel sort of doubled down on his dislike for Obama. This might be more of who he really is whenever he feels someone else is taking his place in his lane as the intellectual voice of Black America. He's made a very comfortable lifestyle selling books, making guest appearances on TV, and going on Book Tours. You can't share that money with everyone. Literally going back to Dubois, Booker T. Washington, and Garvey...... the money and fame of being recognized as the top Black intellectual led to as many of their issues as was their intellectual disagreements.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
His support for Obama was very early and then while his original critique of Obama was valid. I think he took the backlash personal and became embittered and that changed his approach to most things afterwards. I would actually say that starting with his critique of Obama he seemed to have lost his way as a leader and became more of a critic.

Then again having read both him and Dyson. I always got this feeling that they did it as much for self-aggrandizement at being in their role of "Black Intellectual". This might be more of who he really is whenever he feels someone else is taking his place in his lane as the intellectual voice of Black America. He's made a very comfortable lifestyle selling books, making guest appearances on TV, and going on Book Tours. You can't share that money with everyone.

So to clarify, in your view he began to "lose his way" about 8 years ago, not "over a decade straight." But I still don't see how that puts him on the "wrong side of history." He was substantially right about Obama, and if his own personal issues and ego obscured that message...well, he's still right.

Wargames

Daps
Reppin
New York City
So to clarify, in your view he began to "lose his way" about 8 years ago, not "over a decade straight." But I still don't see how that puts him on the "wrong side of history." He was substantially right about Obama, and if his own personal issues and ego obscured that message...well, he's still right.

I felt that Obama merely happening was enough to have shut the fukk up in 2008 and then try to work alongside him going forward. Also remember the beef started because Michelle was going to go to the conference he and Smiley had instead of Barack after the Wright Tape came out. The whole thing stank of "If he isn't going to kiss my ring then fukk him".

Cornel could of had access to the President of the United States (and considering his relationship with Dyson he would have). Instead he spent that time saying how he didn't do enough like we do on this forum. He could have led to change, and instead got himself sidelined..... and for what? His ego?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I felt that Obama merely happening was enough to have shut the fukk up in 2008 and then try to work alongside him going forward. Also remember the beef started because Michelle was going to go to the conference he and Smiley had instead of Barack after the Wright Tape came out. The whole thing stank of "If he isn't going to kiss my ring then fukk him".

Cornel could of had access to the President of the United States (and considering his relationship with Dyson he would have). Instead he spent that time saying how he didn't do enough like we do on this forum. He could have led to change, and instead got himself sidelined..... and for what? His ego?

2008? He did keep his mouth shut and did 65 campaign events for Obama, even as Obama was saying a lot of conservative and neoliberal things that West obviously disagreed with. Like he said later, he was hoping that Obama was just saying all that stuff to get elected and he would become more progressive, more pro-Black and pro-poor and anti-globalism, when he got into office.

Claiming that West's beef started with the Smiley conference appears to confuse the issue - that was Smiley's conference, not "he and Smiley." West was just one of many speakers at the conference, including Clinton, Dyson, Donna Brazille, Cory Booker, Mitch Landrieu, and Susan Rice. I've heard that Smiley's beef with him started there, but not West's.

The legitimate root of West's beef is that Obama started off his administration appointing the exact same Wall Street figures and carrying out the same pro-Wall Street policies that all of his predecessors had. And then he won the globalist Nobel Peace Prize while following through with the exact same neoliberal globalist policies as his predecessors. You can't go around putting Wall Street in charge and dropping drones on a dozen Black and Brown nations and think you gonna get Cornell West's uncritical support. Yes, West felt personally slighted by Obama too. Whether or not he had legitimate reason to, I think that aspect of the beef was too petty. But his substantial issues with Obama were fully justified, and I'm having trouble seeing where you address that. Do you believe that Obama was generally on the right side of history, and this country would be on the right track if only we kept following Obama policies?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I hate all of these types of Blacks. The bedwenches, the liberal tools like West, the under-educated opinionated tools like Coates. All of them get on my damn nerves and all of them love identity politics.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i just want to say that i think cornel has a very valuable perspective to offer and i will keep my ears open, but i think he really needs to issue a very well thought out statement about his criticisms of coates. this is looking like a serious "jumping the shark" moment and i would hate to see that because i do think we need a very hard left voice in black politics, but his jealousy is so obvious at times it is ridiculous

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Cornel West’s Reckless Criticism of Ta-Nehisi Coates

Cornel West’s Reckless Criticism of Ta-Nehisi Coates
Why his broadside should feel like a crushing disappointment to any young critic who writes about race in America.
By Ismail Muhammad

171219_BOOKS_Cornel-West-Ta-Nehisi-Coates.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

Cornel West and Ta-Nehisi Coates.
Photo illustration by Slate. Photos by Win McNamee/Getty Images, Paul Marotta/Getty Images.

It’s not an overstatement to say that, if you are a young writer who interrogates American race relations and white supremacy, Cornel West is the foundation upon which you stand. Alongside the likes of Kimberlé Crenshaw, Angela Davis, Toni Morrison, and, of course, James Baldwin, West’s work is part of the canon that teaches younger writers how to think and write about race. It is impossible to imagine a writer like Ta-Nehisi Coates having come into existence without a book like West’s Race Matters, which, in the wake of the 1992 Los Angeles uprising, helped popularize the thesis that anti-black racism was inextricably entangled with almost every aspect of American politics and culture—including, most crucially, our capitalist economy.

West’s importance to contemporary black thought is what makes his recent Guardian broadside against Coates so disheartening. Not only is it a case of one of black thought’s elder statesmen attempting a hatchet job on a younger writer, West thoroughly botches the job via disingenuous readings from which a reader is tempted to conclude one of two things: Either he hasn’t read We Were Eight Years in Power very closely, or he has intentionally misrepresented Coates’ writing in an attempt to bolster his own brand. (It is probably not a coincidence that West’s Twitter feed is full of plugs for the 25th-anniversary edition of Race Matters.) Coates addressed West’s attack but deleted it along with his entire Twitter account. The New Yorker’s Jelani Cobb also assailed West on Twitter, accusing him of “cloak[ing] petty rivalry as disinterested analysis.” It’s hard to say for sure, of course, whether West was motivated more by competitiveness or by ideology. But it’s pretty shocking that he authored a partially baked, inaccurate hot take that all but labels Coates a stooge of white liberalism—an accusation that feels especially reckless coming from a writer of West’s stature.

West’s interpretation repeats some familiar criticisms of Coates’ work, namely the charge that Coates portrays white supremacy as an intractable, omnipotent force that we might never overcome. For critics of Coates, this portrayal betrays an apolitical pessimism that neither takes stock of black resistance to structural racism nor charts a path forward. But West takes this critique a step further, arguing that Coates “hardly keeps track of our fightback, and never connects this ugly legacy to the predatory capitalist practices, imperial policies (of war, occupation, detention, assassination) or the black elite’s refusal to confront poverty, patriarchy or transphobia.” For West, Coates’ alleged silence around these issues is exactly what has garnered him acceptance among white audiences: He decouples anti-racist thought from an intersectional critique of state power, effectively rendering himself a “neoliberal” mouthpiece of the state.

Read all the pieces in the Slate Book Review.

Ismail Muhammad is a writer based in Oakland, California. He’s a staff writer at theMillions and contributing editor at Zyzzyva.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
shyt like this is why I just worry about me and mine. West, Coates, Nasheed, Polight, they are not about action, they're about attention. They're not about progress, they're about pushing their own platforms. And always eager to put their egos ahead of pretty much everything. fukk them all :manny: