Albums SZA - SOS (Discussion Thread)

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Worked for Frank.
True. She'll be fine, album will be a hit. It already has what, 3 hit singles? I simply question how other shyt works out. Is she going to do what she needs to do, promo/DJ wise? Is she going to actually commit to a tour and complete it? And is she going to use this as the stepping stone to going for superstar status in a couple years or is it back to another 5 year hiatus...

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
True. She'll be fine, album will be a hit. It already has what, 3 hit singles? I simply question how other shyt works out. Is she going to do what she needs to do, promo/DJ wise? Is she going to actually commit to a tour and complete it? And is she going to use this as the stepping stone to going for superstar status in a couple years or is it back to another 5 year hiatus...
She’s already a superstar. She’s probably rich too. Who cares. I just want the music.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
She’s already a superstar. She’s probably rich too. Who cares. I just want the music.

I don't think she's hit that white mainstream level of white awareness. Could be wrong. Obviously she's big but I'm talking completely separating herself from Summer Walker and getting closer to the Rihanna/Beyonce side of things. No she won't be as big or nearly as big, but I'm just saying getting closer to that.

Dizzle

Pro
Daps
Reppin
AZ
Never took the time to listen to a sza track. Just did. Sounds like her best Banks impression.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

December

Her producer ThankGod4Cody believes her second album will have the same kind of cultural impact. He was working with TDE artist Isaiah Rashad before eventually linking with SZA and producing her 2014 track “Sobriety.” “From there,” he says, “it blossomed into a friendship and a working relationship” that has since spawned two Grammy-nominated hits, the Travis Scott-assisted “Love Galore” and “The Weekend.” And while he remembers SZA writing those songs “pretty fast,” he’s even more impressed with the speed and shrewdness of her pen game this time around. “The lyrics are so geniusly simple,” he says of “I Hate U.” “And she’ll write so fast that it scares her — like, ‘Is it actually this fire?’ ”

Their collective efforts have created SZA’s most daring body of work yet, which Henderson plays for me at TDE’s studios. Instrumentally, S.O.S is the most captivating music she has ever made, her beloved lo-fi beats sharing space with surf rock within the same track, a grunge record and an acoustic guitar-driven ballad coexisting without either sounding out of place. And while SZA says she was a “more carefree writer” during her Ctrl sessions, she has sharpened her writing since. S.O.S is an album that certainly justifies a five-year wait. But SZA still wonders if the hardships she endured to raise her profile between Ctrl and now were worth it.

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
it sounds good

but it's fake pretty energy

in a way it really is perfect for the current era of bird culture ha..........

that's the beauty of SZA

It's that "I'm driving home to my girl and this what that other broad thinking" music.

That "I know he got a woman/married and I'm broad number 28 for the night and all I got to offer is this p*ssy but my p*ssy gone change him- oops I was wrong again" music

That "black streaky face cause you don't know if that's post fukk hair glue sweat or mascara streak" music.

(edited edit: except "CTRL) by SZA.... which.... I consider a "Nu-Age Thot bytch Illmatic" :mjcry:)

The Queen is back,,,, where them thots at. :mjlit: