Albums SZA - SOS (Discussion Thread)

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Not just cap but ignorance IMO.
There many, many people within Hip-Hop who are very talented musically.

Dj Quik, Dr. Dre, Battlecat, J. Dilla etc.

All of these guys play instruments (Piano for Dre),(Piano/Synthesizer for Quik),(Keys/Synth for Battlecat), (Drums, Keys, Synth for Dilla),
Ali Shaheed plays every fukking thing.

Also rappers should sing and singers should rap but you should respect both schools equally.
They're very different.

I sing fukking GOOD, like not "kinda" good but fukking GOOD but I still really took time
to learn and study the greats in Hip-Hop.
He meant the original NYC kids in the parks I believe

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Im a at crossroads with some of the criticism on here. This is rnb mostly or pop whatever, so how much lyrical miracle can we expect from sza? Its a genre based off of cliches and generic interpretations of feelings.

Now yes. We have The Dreams and Brian michael cox’s of the world who have great pens, and which make me also think these artist need to be a bit more creative with it. She did it a bit on Seek and Destroy with the war motif, battleships and missiles and shyt.

But its still a genre i think that has its limitation on lyrics.
this is a weird critque given she made her name on her pen...i still haven't listened yet, just not in the mood for her music ATM, but if someone is known for good writing then dumbs it down to make more pop shyt, that's a fair criticism

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
this is a weird critque given she made her name on her pen...i still haven't listened yet, just not in the mood for her music ATM, but if someone is known for good writing then dumbs it down to make more pop shyt, that's a fair criticism
Album is great

Magic Mulatto

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow. . .
Daps
I fukks with SZA heavy and mess with most of the album…👍

Anyway, can one of you R&B heads direct me to the Jacquees “Sincerely For You” thread? 😐

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
Album is fire. Never noticed how good of a writer she was cause I could never really understand her, but she’s got a nice pen. Ran back CTRL cause I never got into it initially, and there some heat on there too.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
on track 15...SZA should've released two albums, this shyt aint cohesive, some of these songs (F2F, special) feel like they should've been in the montage scene of 00's teen movies like she's all that or 10 things i hate about you...get your bag/crossover success, but don't suscept your r&b fans to this bullshyt

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
on track 15...SZA should've released two albums, this shyt aint cohesive, some of these songs (F2F, special) feel like they should've been in the montage scene of 00's teen movies like she's all that or 10 things i hate about you...get your bag/crossover success, but don't suscept your r&b fans to this bullshyt
One thing I’ve always known about Sza even when I wasn’t a fan was that her music was eclectic. She was never solely r&b.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
One thing I’ve always known about Sza even when I wasn’t a fan was that her music was eclectic. She was never solely r&b.
but her songs still used to have more groove, melody and soul. only song that sounds like blatant bubblegum pop on CTRL was prom, maybe drew berrymore. miss me with the drunk white girl crying songs on SOS. maybe it would feel different is this was 14 tracks again, but at 23, she could give us a double disc and let me opt out. i also agree with others that her pen aint as strong on this one

Last edited: