Albums SZA - SOS (Discussion Thread)

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The underlined is cap lol
Not just cap but ignorance IMO.
There many, many people within Hip-Hop who are very talented musically.

Dj Quik, Dr. Dre, Battlecat, J. Dilla etc.

All of these guys play instruments (Piano for Dre),(Piano/Synthesizer for Quik),(Keys/Synth for Battlecat), (Drums, Keys, Synth for Dilla),
Ali Shaheed plays every fukking thing.

Also rappers should sing and singers should rap but you should respect both schools equally.
They're very different.

I sing fukking GOOD, like not "kinda" good but fukking GOOD but I still really took time
to learn and study the greats in Hip-Hop.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
She's doing an arena tour. What's the feel on this...can she sell this out? Looks like it's focused on major cities so I'd imagine she can.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
my perspective is just rapping should be left for those who are not vocally talented

i don't want my music to have less music in it ha

in a perfect world nobody would have to rap because everyone could sing

I feel this

If they gotta do it one song only
Or a spinoff album

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
She's doing an arena tour. What's the feel on this...can she sell this out? Looks like it's focused on major cities so I'd imagine she can.

She doesn't tour often and the hype is pretty huge for this album so I'd say so. Who's opening for her?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I like the album but it's certainly more hit and miss than CTRL, which was pretty strong beginning to end. Hard to deny her ear for melody, to the point where her verses can be as catchy as a hook. Love Language is a perfect example of that. Direction wise I was curious where she'd go, while expecting it wouldn't be CTRL 2.0, which a lot of similar women artists have been stuck on to this day. Give her props for side stepping that, adding more guitars and focusing on her own musical experiences. I don't fukk with F2F but bringing that 00s pop rock shyt right now is brilliant. Nobody Gets Me is in that vein too but I actually like it.

She correctly identified that the downtempo reverb trap shyt is a dead end.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
But we both know that shyt ain’t going nowhere anytime soon smh

Oh I'm sure chicks will keep doing it and fail to really break through. End up stuck in that Chloe Bailey, Normani loop of endless singles and no release date. Think about how far ahead SZA just leaped Summer Walker, while her manager cries about the wall they're hitting right now. I'd certainly rather be gearing up for an arena tour vs dropping another embarrassingly ratchet video. That well has been tapped enough, time to move on or regress.

DonRe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im a at crossroads with some of the criticism on here. This is rnb mostly or pop whatever, so how much lyrical miracle can we expect from sza? Its a genre based off of cliches and generic interpretations of feelings.

Now yes. We have The Dreams and Brian michael cox’s of the world who have great pens, and which make me also think these artist need to be a bit more creative with it. She did it a bit on Seek and Destroy with the war motif, battleships and missiles and shyt.

But its still a genre i think that has its limitation on lyrics.

Daps
tour tickets on pre-sale right now. password is CHEER. bottom level at state farm ranging from $200-600 :myman:
the atl show is around my bday though.... i'd rather be at a beach 🤷‍♀️

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
I looked at the tickets for Austin and they were way too high, I already saw her at Austin City Limits so I’m good but hope she does well