Albums SZA - SOS (Discussion Thread)

Mr. Negative

Conspiracy Weirdo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
This shyt is great.

My only real complaint is that it doesn't feel..... cohesive?

It's crazy how this album trains your ear with these short ass songs..... only to have longer songs with slight pauses that make you think a song is over before the same song starts back playing.

Its also crazy how theres so many songs on the album that you automatically wanna start trimming songs to make a "shorter, better" album.... but its hard to even find songs that you don't like enough to delete. There's literally no skippable songs on here.

super solid ass sophmore album. I'm not gonna compare it to CTRL, cause this aint that.

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
This shyt is great.

It's crazy how this album trains your ear with these short ass songs..... only to have longer songs with slight pauses that make you think a song is over before the same song starts back playing.

Its also crazy how theres so many songs on the album that you automatically wanna start trimming songs to make a "shorter, better" album.... but its hard to even find songs that you don't like enough to delete. There's literally no skippable songs on here.

super solid ass sophmore album. I'm not gonna compare it to CTRL, cause this aint that.
It seems like to me the album ends after “Open Arms.” I look at the last 3 songs as bonus tracks.

On first listen “F2F” stands out like a sore thumb. And not in a good way. But it might grow on me when I listen to it more.

I really do hate this album dropped in December. It should have dropped in October or Nov…

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
This shyt is great.

its like a compilation of "here's stuff I been working on across genres"

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
4 songs in and liking it so far.

Edit: Snooze is really good. 8 songs in and it's become groovy.

2nd Edit: Ghost in the Machine kinda underwhelmed me. It's a good song, but the anime's eery, haunting OP is forever eched in my brain lol.

Just played FNF as well. I love Taylor Swift so this song is all good by me.

3rd Edit: Nobody Gets Me is an auto-skip. Special kinda reminds me of Creep by Radiohead in regards to the self-loathing that's present throughout. Great song. Wish we had more like it in this era of repetitive ass songs.

Too Late is a skip. Far is pretty good. Shirt is a banger. I Hate You is a banger. Open Arms is an auto-skip.

Good Days is a beautiful song. I've been playing it since it first dropped, and it's still in my late night mood rotation.

Forgiveless is...interesting. Don't really have an opinion on it.

I'll give the album a 6.5/10. I have a longer leash for RnB albums, but this album has too many tracks on it, and it doesn't follow any cohesive theme, so I personally got bored around F2F.

I'm not a very "deep" music critic. If the shyt sounds good and, like the great James Brown said, "musical", I can dig it.

9/22 tracks are good/great imo. Another 10 are decent, and 3 are skips.

Last edited:

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey
SOS - Cool intro, I hear a lot of Tory Lanez like flowing on this.

Kill Bill - Fire, probably my favorite track (this is after my second listen of the album). I’m a sucker for taking classic melodies and flipping it (which she did with the hook). And that last line, omg. I can hear Doja on this one. She needs to be on the deluxe.

Low - IT’S LIT! STRAIGHT UP! LETS GO! One of my favorites on the album.

Blind - I love this track. It’s so calm, but the lyrics itself can be aggressive/raunchy. One of my favorite tracks. Top 3. I love the hook, and the effects they used during it. They pitched up, and had the background vocals in unison. That “I can’t see i’m blind” part sounds like something Adele would write.

Used - Breh, I saw the feature and said “bet”. This joint smooth. The beat is pushing p. One of my favorite tracks (again). Top 3, you know my top 3 is my favorite 7 songs btw.

Notice Me - Ayo, Yeat has an old song called Brink with a very, VERY similar beat. This one is great though. I love the hook. This one might be one of the next two single’s by default.

Smoking on my Ex Pack - Wanted a 2nd verse, but it’s cool without it to. It’s essentially an interlude. Tory Lanez, I mean SZA got bars.

F2F (aka the Taylor Swift song) - This song was so out of left field for me that I enjoyed it lol. Yo when the beat first dropped at 11 seconds I was taken aback. That was NOT what direction I thought the track was going to go. When the hook first came on. I thought Pink Friday Target Deluxe Edition vibes. I wanted to watch an early 2000’s high school movie out of nowhere all of a sudden lol. I was about to throw on Jennifer’s Body right quick lol. I thought Spotify randomly put on some Ke$ha or something. Nah, I actually like the song though. That 2nd verse was fire. What it the kids say these days “she ate”.

Conceited - Tory again I see lol. Nah this track is cool. Top 7 track on this project. Spring vibes. Could be a radio single on pop station’s.

Special - Now before I heard this song. I’ve heard multiple people on different platforms say this song made them cry. So I lowkey was expecting…to shed a thug tear. I like this song. I can see why people would shed a thug tear to this though. SZA is not holding back on this album about her insecurities or anything. She’s being real. Not saying she wasn’t before (I never completely finished CTRL, I’ve heard most of it). But she’s more open this album it seems.

Too Late - Sleeper track, I bet this track will be underrated. The hook is from somewhere else I think. Sounds familiar. Also this is all Tory again lol.

Far - Same as the previous track. Slower but this a sleeper track, probably going to be underrated. Lowkey both tracks could have been a single track. Just make it a beat switch track. Maybe start with Far, and transition to Too Late.

Shirt - Cool, them slightly distorted 808’s, aka the jugg 808’s is a staple for the radio. Not a top 3 track but it’s a great track. I can see why it’s a single.

Open Arms - Could have done without the Travis verse, just keep his adlibs. To say SZA sounded angelic on this song would be an understatement. My favorite track. It kind of has a Christmas vibe to it to.

I Hate U - Cool, chill track. This kind of has Christmas vibe to it to. TF is going on this late in the album. I like it though lol.

Good Days - Cool, this is one of those tracks. If you play it at the right time, you’ll keep it on repeat like it’s the best track on the album. The vibe of this song is super chill. Great Spring/early summer night track. Perfect track placement to. It’s a “the album is winding down” song.

Forgiveless - Fire, I swear Tory Lanez helped SZA on this album. His cadence is all over this album.

Final score: 7.5 I think after a few spins it’ll be a 8.5. Possibly a 9. You cut out the songs I didn’t list, and this would be considered a classic to many. Make it 14 to 16 songs. The album cover perfectly describes the vibe of the album.

EDIT: Yeah I give it an 8 now.
Kill Bill, Blind, and Open Arms are :wow:

Last edited:

breakfuss

#SHAMBLES
Supporter
Daps
For those criticizing the length, I 100% agree. And again I like the album but artists really need to stop that shyt. I get they’re trying to game the streaming system but goddamn.

Going in :francis: . Glad to see its not on that THOT the Album steez:scust:
yup. Exactly why I couldn’t get into the first. I don’t wanna fukking hear about you cheating on your dude :childplease:. Ho babble. She talking her shyt on this though.