Swole talks about representation issues with AEW

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
I think Starks was getting there before he broke his neck, and I think that affected Hobbs too. Starks is the only black wrestler they have currently that id elevate, and his elevation would elevate Hobbs by proxy. They don’t have any other black wrestlers that could sell PPVs as the main event. Dante Martin needs 4-5 years. Maybe Lee Moriarty too but I’ll have to see him in a storyline first. They’ll probably have to poach from WWE. Big E Woods and Montez Ford are available in 2 years and all 3 are significantly better options than what’s on AEW roster.
They should just have Starks/Hobbs be a tag team. They’d make good ass heel champs. Starks the arrogant a$$hole talking his shyt and Hobbs the muscle who lets his fist do the talking. Make em something like HBK/Nash.

Moriarty is good in the ring. He just needs to find his character. I fukks with Gresham when he was just a basic wrassler who let his ringwork do the talking, but he really elevated himself when he got nickname the Octopus.

Moriarty should be more of a ring assassin kinda guy. And he needs a new song instead of that anime bullshyt. :huhldup:

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
Call me cynical, but nothing about any of this situation has been all that surprising or revealing. These are the same criticisms that members of this board have been lobbying against the company since day one, but it’s been pretty consistently shouted down with whataboutism with WWE or brushed off otherwise for one reason or another. Hell, even that Lilly white girl Girl on Cinema you post sometimes @International Koala has said the same things about the lack of diversity within the hierarchy, but when you have executives and a fanbase that is seemingly allergic to criticism and acts like everything is perfect, eventually glaring issues are gonna blow up. I can swear someone on here just recently said that Swole would be the one to say something publicly about this and sure enough, here we are.
Apparently Khan has apologized to Rush and Swole, and good on him if he has. He still needs to apologize publicly since he had no problem slamming her publicly, and needs to take steps to remedy this whole thing. If not, it’s just an empty, palliative PR gesture to hush any criticisms. Let’s hope this company is what some of y’all need it to be, because I feel for those of you who are genuinely hurt or bothered by this, because they seemed like they would be different in the beginning. Let’s hope they truly are

Max.

Banned
WOAT
Daps
Does everyone really need to comment? Why care so much about what Mark Meltzer or any Twitter beard has to say? :dwillhuh:

It’ll just make him look like a dumbass if he tried spinning this. :heh:

its looks funny when a big story breaks out in aew and people are tip toeing a response/story

You know its kinda there job as a “journalist “

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
I think Starks was getting there before he broke his neck, and I think that affected Hobbs too. Starks is the only black wrestler they have currently that id elevate, and his elevation would elevate Hobbs by proxy. They don’t have any other black wrestlers that could sell PPVs as the main event. Dante Martin needs 4-5 years. Maybe Lee Moriarty too but I’ll have to see him in a storyline first. They’ll probably have to poach from WWE. Big E Woods and Montez Ford are available in 2 years and all 3 are significantly better options than what’s on AEW roster.

I think there's a guy they can sign and push once his no compete clause is over, and it's already sort of been teased.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Call me cynical, but nothing about any of this situation has been all that surprising or revealing. These are the same criticisms that members of this board have been lobbying against the company since day one, but it’s been pretty consistently shouted down with whataboutism with WWE or brushed off otherwise for one reason or another. Hell, even that Lilly white girl Girl on Cinema you post sometimes @International Koala has said the same things about the lack of diversity within the hierarchy, but when you have executives and a fanbase that is seemingly allergic to criticism and acts like everything is perfect, eventually glaring issues are gonna blow up. I can swear someone on here just recently said that Swole would be the one to say something publicly about this and sure enough, here we are.
Apparently Khan has apologized to Rush and Swole, and good on him if he has. He still needs to apologize publicly since he had no problem slamming her publicly, and needs to take steps to remedy this whole thing. If not, it’s just an empty, palliative PR gesture to hush any criticisms. Let’s hope this company is what some of y’all need it to be, because I feel for those of you who are genuinely hurt or bothered by this, because they seemed like they would be different in the beginning. Let’s hope they truly are

I'm just hoping this will open minds and make folks realize that the Dub is not it by any means. On a booking perspective to the representation issues, when you have white folks like :mjpls:about how AEW does black folks, that is a damn problem. Its almost as if folks are scared of the idea that a promotion is no different from what people been dealing with for ages. Folks are bothered and in denial because AEW was the chosen one, yet this thread was needed to expose the fact that AEW is not a sanctified wrestling promotion by any means:

• Khan is a con artists and no different from bookers of the past
  • There's favoritism, cult like situations, and behind the scenes nonsense
  • Wrestlers are starting to realize the grass is not always greener on the other side of the gymnasium
  • Black folks will continue to be overlooked in favor for the "American dream" of the caucasian focus point
  • There will never be a glory day for wrestling in the current times because its niche and shyt like this
Moral of the story, if you are a Dub head take the criticism and stop looking at folks including this marsupial as haters. We just stating what is being seen from the bias that comes being "elite".

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
The problem is that when questioned about black representation his first reaction was to verbally attack the messenger. That alone should let everyone know exactly what he's all about. They preached all this diversity when they were getting ready to debut, and they wound up being a company for all the white indy wrestlers. He meant what he said and is just apologizing to escape further criticism, which is what all apologies are now. He didn't lose any black viewers that were watching from day 1, but he damn sure lost any black viewers that were on the fence.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Still owes a massive public apology due to the shytstorm his pettiness caused.

Khan won't because at the end of the day, he thrives on the nut jugglers that big him up. About 70 percent of the comments from his tweet spoke some wild volumes :mjpls::sas1:.

I'm waiting for one of them dikkriders to be like "YEAHHHH THAT WAS A SICK BURN KHAN BRO, YOU SHOWED THAT "BLACK bytch""

*Replied tweet*

"Breh:huhldup:"

"WHAT?? I'M NOT RACIST, BRANDI CALLED HERSELF A BLACK bytch, WHY CAN'T I CALL SWOLE A BLACK bytch:mindblown:"

Vice Queen

aka Joe Henny
Supporter
Daps
Khan won't because at the end of the day, he thrives on the nut jugglers that big him up. About 70 percent of the comments from his tweet spoke some wild volumes :mjpls::sas1:.

I'm waiting for one of them dikkriders to be like "YEAHHHH THAT WAS A SICK BURN KHAN BRO, YOU SHOWED THAT "BLACK bytch""

*Replied tweet*

"Breh:huhldup:"

"WHAT?? I'M NOT RACIST, BRANDI CALLED HERSELF A BLACK bytch, WHY CAN'T I CALL SWOLE A BLACK bytch:mindblown:"
They ain't tweeted it, but they thought it.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
I feel like most of the black talent in AEW was either too young or too green. Riho, Shida and Sammy are all either Japanese or Hispanic. Does she mean Black talent when she says diversity? Niya held the woman's belt for a while and people were still talking about diversity. What male talent was out there at the time that could carry a company that wasn't already scooped by WWE?

Yeah. She is right in diversity part and the people moving in and AEW not having time for a lot of others. But the company just started, and some of talent just need the right trigger to be pulled for them to see that next level. Or you could end up with a Sammy G situation and he be champ because Y2J thought he was ready after all the hype he was getting in that big IC vs Pinnacle feud. I skipped his promos cause dude can't talk. Scorpio made the most sense to take it off of Darby, but I guess there's another route for that... unless they just go with Ethan Page for whatever reason :unimpressed:

The structure kinda been off since the many signings, but they'll be back hopefully.

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
Yeah. She is right in diversity part and the people moving in and AEW not having time for a lot of others. But the company just started, and some of talent just need the right trigger to be pulled for them to see that next level. Or you could end up with a Sammy G situation and he be champ because Y2J thought he was ready after all the hype he was getting in that big IC vs Pinnacle feud. I skipped his promos cause dude can't talk. Scorpio made the most sense to take it off of Darby, but I guess there's another route for that... unless they just go with Ethan Page for whatever reason :unimpressed:

The structure kinda been off since the many signings, but they'll be back hopefully.
Scorpio for sure, I don't know if Swole had the interest of the black wrestling community as a whole or herself in mind because really truly Jade and Niya are working. Jade might be green but she has the crossover appeal so thats gonna win regardless. Bringing in all the wwe folks knocked things off but all the titles are currently held by the original AEW folks. Its gonna take a lot more than someone who was not that great in the ring not getting renewed for me to toss AEW in the sports entertainment pile. This isn't a booker tom, 2000s Lashley or Shelton situation at all.

That tweet was wrong though