Survival of the Fittest: Official 2014 New York Giants Season Thread

K-Deini

GOAT
Supporter
Daps
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...-york-giants-says-needs-more-involved-offense

NEW YORK -- A day after the New York Giants' opening-night debacle, Victor Cruz offered a suggestion for how to improve the team's struggling offense.

"In order for us to be successful I think there needs to be an increased number of targets in my direction," Cruz said, on a conference call with reporters. "And other playmakers' directions, just like Rueben Randle as well, in my opinion."

Victor Cruz, held to two catches in the opener, says he needs to get the ball in order for the Giants to be successful.
Cruz was targeted just six times in the Giants' 35-14 loss to the Detroit Lions, and finished with just two catches for 24 yards. Randle, the Giants' other starting wide receiver, was targeted just three times, and finished with just two catches for one yard.

Inexperienced tight end Larry Donnell and third wide receiver Jerrel Jernigan were targeted eight and seven times, respectively, in a game in which quarterback Eli Manning threw for just 163 yards and was intercepted twice.

The Giants' first-team offense, under new coordinator Ben McAdoo, played poorly throughout the preseason, and looked no better Monday night in Detroit.

They rushed for just 53 yards on 22 carries, and finished with 197 total yards - less than half the amount accumulated by the Lions (417).

"Honestly I did think that those problems would be over -- I thought we would be able to get into a little bit of rhythm, mainly because we were playing a full four quarters," Cruz said. "It's unfortunate we didn't come out and have that rhythm I thought we would have, but the great part is that it's just Week 1, and we have time to fix this thing."

Coach Tom Coughlin did not pin the blame on the new offense, which required the players to learn a new set of terminology.

"It'd be an easy one to say at this point in time, but I don't see it," Coughlin said. "I think that a lot of the mistakes that you're seeing are technical things, more than just communication. I don't see the communication thing being the major problem. I think right now it's execution."

The Giants didn't just change their offensive playbook, however. Their 53-man roster features 21 new players, a rather large number, and Coughlin hinted that his team is still jelling, even though the regular season is already underway.

"I think one of the things you're seeing is that all of a sudden last night, in the start of the season with the first game, you saw things occur which I think are a result of a lot of new parts," Coughlin said. "You saw things that you maybe hadn't seen before or hadn't seen on the practice field, hadn't seen on the game field, and some of that was as a result of people just new to the program."

"I think that was part of it, but I'm certainly not going to say that that's the reason that we weren't productive," the coach added. "That's not gonna be used as an excuse, it's just perhaps a reality. We need to perform better no matter what the new parts are."

The Giants got off to a disastrous start a season ago, losing their first six games and ultimately missing the playoffs for the second year in a row. The fans won't soon forget that 0-6 start, nor will Coughlin, but he elected not to discuss it with his players on Monday.

"There was a thought in my mind as a motivational thing to talk about last year as we got into this week, and I decided for best not to go there," Coughlin said. "Do I have to hit them right between the eyes with last year and what we certainly don't want to see happen, I don't think so. Quite frankly this is a new year, it's a different team."

A different team with, one week in, similar results.
the audacity of this fukk :stopitslime:

DirtyD

Last Time That I Checc'd......
Daps
Reppin
Queens
It was an ugly performance by the New York Giants’ offense Monday Night against the Detroit Lions as they put up 14 points in a losing effort. As is usually the case, much of the blame is being placed on the quarterback, so the finger-pointing has started with QB Eli Manning as the expected culprit for the offensive woes.While he certainly didn’t look comfortable during the preseason (-9.7 overall), and Monday night’s game isn’t one he’s likely to fire up to show the grandkids someday, his performance wasn’t as bad as his 4.9 yards per attempt and 53.0 passer rating would indicate.

Remember, passer rating is more of an indicator of how the passing offense performed as a whole, not just the passer. It doesn’t take into account plays negated by penalty, quarterback rushing, drops, good plays by receivers, and a whole lot more. At PFF, we’re evaluating the quarterback on each decision and each throw, and for Manning, the stats were slightly deceiving on Monday night.

To start, he had multiple dropped passes that would have moved the chains, and in total he “lost” 40 yards due to drops, third-most among all quarterbacks in Week 1. There were also two decently thrown passes down the field that resulted in defensive pass interference penalties, neither of which will show up in the stat sheet. Each throw is being evaluated for what it is, not the result it gained.

Now that’s not to say it was all good for Manning, there were plenty of questionable plays, particularly his two interceptions. The first one was a miscommunication for which Manning has already taken the blame as he threw to tight end Larry Donnell who continued to run the seam.

While the throw was a bit of a panic move, it still took a great play by linebacker DeAndre Levy and a freak bounce to turn an otherwise harmless incompletion into a turnover. The second interception was worse, though Manning didn’t get much help up front as he had pressure in his face in 1.8 seconds on a deep, 7-step drop. Still, he panicked again and lofted an ill-advised pass toward Victor Cruz that was intercepted by Glover Quin.

When you add it up, there were enough good plays that got glossed over on the stat sheet to make Manning’s night look worse than it was. Factoring in a few drops and pass interference penalties could make it look more like a 23-for-35 for 240 yard night, which is certainly better than the 18-for-33 for 163 yards.

Looking around the league, this wasn’t a banner week for quarterbacks, particularly on a play for play basis. Only five QBs graded in the green, so an otherwise average outing by Manning places him closer to the top that he’d normally be. Again, it wasn’t Manning’s best, but the real story is that the Giants had issues catching the ball and protecting him when it counted, so put the Giants’ offensive woes on the entire unit, not just the quarterback.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/10/outside-the-box-eli-manning/

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
That was the biggest mirage ever they played a bunch of inept backup Qbs in that winning streak
what's your point? because my point is that we started out 0-6 last year, so no need to go crazy over 0-1 yet especially with all of the changes coming into this season.

it doesn't look good...but that doesn't mean it can't get better.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown

Pack2

..Pack2..
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ