Survey: 39% of Americans Say Netflix Has Best Original Content of All Streaming Services

SteelCitySoldier

TSC Fantasy Football Champion 2016
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
What should "they know" tho? They know of Prime, Hulu, Disney+, Max, etc.
They would have to know what the original programming is. If you don’t use the service how would you know that Bel Air for example is a Peacock exclusive.

So with that said they would have to answer “don’t know” (if being honest) if their only subscription was to Netflix because they don’t even know what else is available. Thats why IMO that 23% is more telling because most likely it’s because they only subscribe to Netflix.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
They would have to know what the original programming is. If you don’t use the service how would you know that Bel Air for example is a Peacock exclusive.

So with that said they would have to answer “don’t know” (if being honest) if their only subscription was to Netflix because they don’t even know what else is available. Thats why IMO that 23% is more telling because most likely it’s because they only subscribe to Netflix.
I get what you're saying but the majority of Netflix users know that the "Netflix(N) logo" in the upper left hand corner of the movie/tv show selection box means that its a Netflix production. A few might be oblivious to this but most are knowledgeable

SteelCitySoldier

Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
I get what you're saying but the majority of Netflix users know that the "Netflix(N) logo" in the upper left hand corner of the movie/tv show selection box means that its a Netflix production. A few might be oblivious to this but most are knowledgeable
Not disputing that, what I’m saying is that the only original content that they know is Netflix. If that’s the only content that you know how can you say that they have the best original content when you don’t even know what the other subscribers have to offer.

If someone says “McDonalds has the best burgers” and you ask them “what other burgers have you had” and their response is “none that’s all I have ever eaten” it makes their claim null IMO because you can’t judge the others because “you don’t know”.

They aren’t saying the don’t know Netflix content they’re saying they don’t know any OTHER content. You can’t compare two products if you only know one.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Not disputing that, what I’m saying is that the only original content that they know is Netflix. If that’s the only content that you know how can you say that they have the best original content when you don’t even know what the other subscribers have to offer.

If someone says “McDonalds has the best burgers” and you ask them “what other burgers have you had” and their response is “none that’s all I have ever eaten” it makes their claim null IMO because you can’t judge the others because “you don’t know”.
I hear you, but if by chance there's people who ONLY have Netflix, they still know what HBOMax, Disney, to the old school traditional networks like CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. produces. Netflix has only been powerhouse for 7 years or less. Even a person living under a rock knows HBO's 30 year long catalog, AMC's best offerings, Disney's lengthy content, etc. Millions have Netflix and more than likely have one or two other streaming services that they're subscribed to. Even the most tunnel vision Netflix subscriber/lover is aware of the content of other networks and streaming services. But I digress, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

SteelCitySoldier

Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles C.A.
I hear you, but if by chance there's people who ONLY have Netflix, they still know what HBOMax, Disney, to the old school traditional networks like CBS, NBC, ABC, etc. produces. Netflix has only been powerhouse for 7 years or less. Even a person living under a rock knows HBO's 30 year long catalog, AMC's best offerings, Disney's lengthy content, etc. Millions have Netflix and more than likely have one or two other streaming services that they're subscribed to. Even the most tunnel vision Netflix subscriber/lover is aware of the content of other networks and streaming services. But I digress, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
I will give you one final example and like you said, agree to disagree. I have all of these and couldn’t even tell you of a Disney Exclusive because I don’t use the app. I know what you’re saying when you say that Disney and HBO have been around forever but you’re forgetting what “original programming” really means in this context. For example The Wire is an HBO original program and isn’t considered an HBOMax original program. That’s why there is a difference from what is shown on cable and what is shown on the app. When BS High released on HBO it was an HBO original and wasn’t available until after it aired on HBO first.

Bet+ is one of the few streaming platforms that actually gets it right (and a lot of people hate them for it) because there are exclusives in both. Ms. Pat is a BET+ original while Sistas is a BET network original.

You’d also be surprised how “out of touch” a lot of people are. I’m constantly surprised by what people

But as you said we can agree to disagree, get conversation regardless.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Vince stay finessing :mjlol:

He’s the Goat Carny negotiator, selling people pet rocks and dead gold fish.

:banderas:
Give me 500 million a year to stream one of my shows

:mjlol:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Netflix Packs on More Than 13 Million Subscribers in Q4, Well Above Expectations​

By Todd Spangler

Leave the World Behind

Jojo Whilden/NETFLIX

Netflix extended its lead as the world’s biggest premium video-streaming platform — pulling in a better-than-expected 13.1 million subscribers for the fourth quarter of 2023, a Q4 record. The company’s Q4 revenue came in slightly above Wall Street forecasts, while net income fell short.

As of the end of 2023, Netflix counted 260.28 million total members globally. On average, analysts expected the company to report about 8.8 million net new subs for the year-end quarter.

Netflix shares were up more than 7% in after-hours trading on the subscriber beat.

Revenue in Q4 grew 12% year over year, to $8.83 billion, higher than Netflix’s previous forecast due to favorable foreign exchange rates and “stronger than anticipated membership growth,” the company said. Net income was $938 million, or $2.11 per share. Wall Street expected earnings per share of $2.22 on revenue of $8.71 billion, according to financial data provider LSEG (formerly known as Refinitiv).

The Q4 earnings report comes after Netflix announced a blockbuster 10-year deal for WWE’s “Monday Night Raw” earlier in the day — the streamer’s biggest bet to date in live sports. Under the deal, Netflix will pay about $500 million annually to TKO Group for media rights in multiple territories starting in 2025 to “Raw” (currently on USA Network in the U.S.) along with other programming.

“WWE is great sports entertainment with a huge, established and passionate fanbase, and we believe this long term partnership will be a big value add for our members,” Netflix said in its Q4 shareholder letter.

On the earnings interview, Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos said the deal with WWE “fits within” the company’s anticipated $17 billion spending on content in 2024. He added, “I would not look at this as a signal to any other change, or a change to our sports strategy” — labeling WWE as “sports entertainment” rather than “sports” in the conventional sense.

Also Tuesday, Netflix garnered 18 Academy Awards nominations — the biggest tally among all studios — including seven for Bradley Cooper’s “Maestro” Leonard Bernstein biopic. That came after news that Scott Stuber, Netflix’s head of film, is exiting to launch a new media company.

On the TV front, Netflix released 99 original seasons in Q4, down from a record high of 145 in the year-earlier period.

“Looking ahead, despite last year’s strikes pushing back the launch of some titles, we have a big, bold

slate for 2024,” Netflix said in the shareholder letter. Among the series it called out coming this year: “Squid Game” Season 2, along with “The Diplomat” Season 2, “Bridgerton” Season 3 and “Empress” Season 2, as well as unscripted series like “Love Is Blind” Season 6, “F1: Drive to Survive” S6 and “Full Swing” S2. New shows Netflix called out include “3 Body Problem,” based on the best-selling novel and from the showrunners of “Game of Thrones” ; “Griselda,” starring Sofia Vegara, which premieres this week; “The Gentlemen” from Guy Ritchie; “Eric,” starring Benedict Cumberbach; and “Avatar: The Last Airbender.”

On the film side, in addition the “Rebel Moon” sequel from Zack Snyder, the slate includes “Back in Action” with Cameron Diaz and Jamie Foxx, “Carry On” from Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Entertainment starring Jason Bateman and Taron Edgerton, “Spellbound” from producer John Lasseter, Eddie Murphy reprising his role in “Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F” and “Six Triple Eight” starring Kerry Washington and directed by Tyler Perry.

Netflix said again that it’s “early days for our games offering,” but noted that user engagement on its games tripled in 2023. “Despite games still being small, and certainly not yet material relative to our film and series business, we’re pleased with this progress,” the company said in the shareholder letter. Netflix cited the Q4 debut of the Grand Theft Auto trilogy from Rockstar Games as its “most successful launch to date in terms of installs and engagement, with some consumers clearly signing up simply to play these games.”

Regarding rivals, Netflix said “it’s logical to expect further consolidation, particularly among companies with large and declining linear networks.” However, the company reiterated, “We’re not interested in acquiring linear assets. Nor do we believe that further M&A among traditional entertainment companies will materially change the competitive environment given all the consolidation that has already happened over the last decade (Viacom/CBS, AT&T/Time Warner, Disney/Fox, Time Warner/Discovery, etc.).”

That said, Netflix expects streaming to “remain highly competitive,” given “the franchise strength and programming expertise within traditional entertainment companies” as well as “ongoing heavy investment” from big tech players like YouTube, Amazon and Apple and “broader competition for people’s time,” including gaming and social media like TikTok and Instagram.

“If we continue to execute well and drive continuous improvement — with a better slate, easier discovery

and more fandom — while establishing ourselves in new areas like advertising and games, we believe we

have a lot more room to grow,” Netflix told shareholders, calling out a more than $600 billion opportunity revenue market across pay TV, film, games and branded advertising, of which Netflix currently accounts for roughly 5% of the total.

Pictured above: Netflix’s dystopian thriller movie “Leave the World Behind” starring Mahershala Ali, Myha’la Herrold, Julia Roberts and Ethan Hawke

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
I’ve never really thought Netflix had enough good original content to keep my subscription. I’d rather just get a sub whenever something I like does come on the platform but overall it’s not worth the price when compared to other services.

Like, I don’t watch Netflix for nostalgia or to see shows I know I already like and love. So, with each new “original” show they’re suppose to be delivering, according to people who love Netflix, is really a gamble for me. And most modern writing and cinema has gone to shyt.

Sure, you get one or two productions a year that interest me. That’s not worth the price of admission. Like I said, I’d take the combined nostalgia of older programs and movies I KNOW I like with the occasional new release of original content versus the gamble of new content.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Netflix Is Doing Great, So It's Killing Off Its Cheapest Ad-Free Plan for Good​

The company made gains in ad-based subscribers, but the $12 Basic subscription is being put out to pasture later in 2024 starting in Canada and the U.K.​

By

Kyle Barr

Published Yesterday

Comments (24)

Sofia Boutella in Rebel Moon holding a scythe.

Netflix proclaimed movies like Rebel Moon helped balloon subscriber growth, alongside its expanding gaming library.

Image: Netflix

This year, at least some countries will have to say goodbye to the Netflix Basic subscription tier, the last cheap(ish) way to watch Netflix without ads. While the streaming giant had already severed the $12 Basic subscription tier for new or returning subscribers, anybody who chose to keep paying their monthly tithe to keep that lower price point will eventually find themselves forced to pay more, or else go with the cheaper ad-based tier.

Canada and the U.K. will be the first to see their Basic plan go away in the second quarter of this year and the company will be “taking it from there.” This means that in all likelihood, more markets will see their $12-a-month subscription die in the months afterward, according to Netflix execs speaking to investors in the company’s latest earnings report. While the Basic plan went up in price by $2 late last year, the next cheapest option for all those with lingering Basic subscriptions would be the $7 Netflix with ads plan or the $15.49 Standard tier. There’s also the $23-a-month Premium tier that supports more simultaneous devices and Ultra HD resolution.

This move is explicitly tied to the company’s ad business. Netflix reported major ad-based revenue gains over the last few months with ads membership increasing 70% quarter over quarter. Netflix co-CEO Greg Peters told investors in a video call that one of their main goals going forward is improving ad targeting and adding more “binge ads” (ads that reward viewers with ad-free episodes for the content they’re watching), sponsorships, and serving advertisers’ needs.

“The ads plan now accounts for 40% of all Netflix sign-ups in our ads markets and we’re looking to retire our Basic plan in some of our ads countries, starting with Canada and the UK in Q2 and taking it from there,” executives told investors Tuesday. The company also didn’t rule out future price hikes, mentioning “we’ll occasionally ask our members to pay a little extra” for improvements to the streaming service.

The company’s ad-based tier now sits at 23 million monthly active users, according to Peters. Overall, Netflix claims it added 13.1 million subscribers in the last quarter of 2023 up to around 260 million, a big growth bump attributed to films like Rebel Moon: A Child of Fire and Adam Sandler’s Leo. That’s good news for the company that pivoted hard toward ads after its poor early 2022 tidings.

Netflix has routinely rolled out price increases over the last few years, but that doesn’t mean it’s experiencing subscription losses. Far from it, Netflix seems to be surviving far better in today’s competitive streaming environment. Data from analysis firm Antenna, as displayed by Business Insider, shows that Netflix’s churn—the ratio of people who cancel subscriptions versus new or returning subscribers—is far lower at Netflix compared to other services. Over 2023, Netflix never saw churn above 2%. Warner Bros. Discovery’s Max, on the other hand, experienced a high of nearly 9% churn in October of last year.

Part of that maintained subscriber base may be due to the company’s gaming arm, Netflix’s still relatively unknown feature that lets subscribers access a whole slew of games for free so long as they have a Netflix subscription. That includes such titles as the remaster Grand Theft Auto trilogy, which are admittedly the best way you can get the games in a modern format after the whole Definitive Edition fiasco.

The GTA re-releases were the streaming company’s “most successful launch to date,” Netflix said in its report, adding that some signed up for Netflix just to access Rockstar’s original GTA trilogy. There are a whole lot of Netflix games that are well worth playing, including titles like Dead Cells and the two Oxenfree adventure titles. Eventually, subscribers may even be able to play these games on TVs. Netflix wants to offer even more value with games and live sports, and part of that includes a newly-inked deal with WWE.

And yet, this latest stealth price increase isn’t so much a hard pill to swallow, as much of a chunk of rock that’s getting lodged in my craw. I was one of those who decided to keep up their subscription to maintain their price point, and I could not be more annoyed. I will probably keep my Basic subscription going for as long as I can because I still keep finding shows on the service worth watching like the excellent Blue Eye Samurai. But when my parents are no longer allowed to watch my streams, and with all these price hikes, even their expanding game library might not keep me around much longer.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That’s clearly a popularity bias, as in more households have Netflix so say Netflix. The fact that prime, probably the second most popular service, is ranked #2 when they’re no where near HBO is telling.

HBO & FX >>> *
Or it’s more popular because it has better content.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
I think Netflix's foreign content is the big difference maker. Korean series 'The Glory' was the 3rd most watch show on Netflix in 2023. It was watched more than 'Wednesday' which was hyped to all hell. My wife's Netflix profile is filled with nearly all Korean content.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Netflix Had a Password-Sharing Problem. Greg Peters Fixed It​

Now all he’s got to figure out is live programming, sports, gaming, pricing and, oh, advertising.

Co-CEO Greg Peters at the Netflix office in Los Gatos, California.

Co-CEO Greg Peters at the Netflix office in Los Gatos, California.

Photographer: Maggie Shannon for Bloomberg Businessweek

By Lucas Shaw

May 18, 2024 at 10:00 AM EDT

Updated on

May 18, 2024 at 2:14 PM EDT

Save

In mid-February, Greg Peters, the co-CEO of Netflix, strode onstage at the Hollywood Palladium, an art deco concert venue in Los Angeles, to deliver a pep talk to what the company calls its New Employee College. Dressed in a button-down shirt and white zip-up sweater, Peters, lanky with striking green eyes, gave a summary of Netflix’s history before analyzing the competitive landscape. Traditional media companies such as Walt Disney Co. and Paramount Global, which had been slow to introduce streaming services, were now struggling to make money. Big Tech businesses like Amazon.com Inc. and Apple Inc. can outspend others but aren’t focused on entertainment. Some of these companies, he said, will shut down their services eventually. Netflix Inc., already more popular than all its competitors (except YouTube), is growing quickly and generating billions of dollars in cash every year. The business is in a good position—no, “a great position,” Peters said, correcting his teleprompter. He then left the crowd with a simple message: “It’s ours to lose.”

Peters walked off to applause and settled into a dressing room, where he talked to Bloomberg Businessweek about an idea he’d teased onstage: the company’s next big competitive advantage, a version of the streaming service that will adapt to customers’ preferences. If you like watching documentaries on Thursday nights, that’s what you’ll get served then, and if you like watching comedies on Sundays, get ready to laugh over brunch. The idea is ambitious and unproven, but it could help Netflix differentiate itself from copycats. The company has long tracked the time it’s taken its rivals to rip off its look; Disney and Apple did a quick job, while Amazon took forever. “I would literally start a stopwatch,” he said.

Greg Peters at Netflix headquarters.

Peters at Netflix headquarters.Photographer: Maggie Shannon for Bloomberg Businessweek

Peters’ confidence would’ve seemed crazy just a couple of years ago. Netflix lost customers during the first half of 2022—the worst six-month stretch in its history—forcing it to fire hundreds of employees and cut back on programming. Its shares tanked, erasing about $200 billion in market value. After a decade of rapid growth, it appeared Netflix had finally hit a wall. New services were vying for viewers, especially in the US. The war in Ukraine had forced the company to withdraw from Russia, where it had a small but growing customer base. Inflation was making users more sensitive to price, limiting its ability to increase what it was charging. Netflix hits such as Virgin River and Ginny & Georgia hadn’t impressed critics or awards voters.

-1x-1.png

Big Take​

The Man Who Ended Netflix Password Sharing​

13:53

Read the transcript. Follow The Big Take daily podcast today.

Netflix responded with two major initiatives—advertising and a crackdown on password sharing—that many observers interpreted as signs of desperation. The company had always said it didn’t mind if users shared accounts, and it had made “ no advertising” central to its pitch. Netflix, once a customer-friendly alternative to cable, was starting to feel like just another service, and its slowdown caused Wall Street to question the entire entertainment industry. If the dominant streaming service was no longer growing, what did that mean for other media companies that were spending billions of dollars trying to catch up? Shares in Disney, Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount fell as well, in what became known as the “ Netflix correction.”

Yet the company has defied the skeptics once again, converting millions of moochers into paying subscribers without a user revolt. The streaming service added almost 30 million customers last year, its second-best annual performance, and an additional 9.3 million in the first quarter of this year, its best start since the pandemic streaming boom of 2020. While Disney (which owns ABC, ESPN and other networks) and Paramount (CBS, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, etc.) are struggling with the collapse of cable and the high cost of streaming, Netflix is growing stronger. The company accounts for the majority of the most popular streaming TV shows in the US—its Griselda, Baby Reindeer and The Gentlemen are the biggest hits of the year—and faces diminished competition at home and abroad. After years of burning through cash to fuel its expansion, Netflix is on track to generate $10 billion in profit in 2024.

Netflix Subscribers​

Quarter-over-quarter change

Source: Company filings compiled by Bloomberg

Much of the credit goes to Peters. His former boss, Netflix co-founder Reed Hastings, put Peters in charge of advertising and account sharing. “He’s made some great decisions for us,” Hastings says from Powder Mountain, the ski resort he owns in Utah. “He inspired the team to get it all done in six months. That’s an amazing timeline, and he was the battlefield general.” Hastings retired as co-chief executive officer last year, ceding his position to Peters, who, at 53, is a decade younger.

Peters is now one of the most powerful media executives in the world. Yet he’s virtually unknown. Ask anyone in Silicon Valley about Netflix, and they’ll first think of Hastings. Ask anyone in Hollywood, and they’ll say Ted Sarandos, Peters’ gregarious co-CEO, who held the same title with Hastings. Colleagues and business partners describe Peters as intelligent, pragmatic and ambitious—the word “polymath” comes up often—and after orchestrating the successful turnaround of the company over the past 24 months, he’s starting to get comfortable with the public nature of his job.

Still, the crackdown on password sharing provided only a temporary boost. When Netflix announced in April that it would stop reporting its subscriber numbers next year, shares plummeted as investors fretted that the recent growth spurt was nearing an end. They want to know how Netflix can keep growing.

Netflix co-founder Reed Hastings delivers a keynote address at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

Netflix co-founder Reed Hastings delivers a keynote address at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.Photographer: David Paul Morris/Bloomberg

Netflix didn’t organize a New Employee College when Peters joined the company in 2008, though it did make new hires dress up and perform a skit at orientation. Peters and a few other newbies performed an ABBA song in a Los Gatos, California, theater. (He describes it as “highly embarrassing.”) This was long before House of Cards or Squid Game; the company’s year-old streaming service was just a free add-on to its DVD-by-mail business. Neil Hunt, the chief product officer, was looking for someone who could help put the service onto as many devices as possible. When it made its debut, it was available only via computer. Netflix needed to persuade TV manufacturers and the makers of video game consoles and other consumer electronics to support the product. Hunt arranged a meeting between Peters and Netflix’s leadership in downtown San Francisco. A charming engineer, Peters made an immediate impression thanks to his range of knowledge about sports, music, entertainment and food (in addition to tech) and his willingness to debate without being a jerk. “We couldn’t hire the guy fast enough,” says Leslie Kilgore, a board member who was then the company’s chief marketing officer.

Peters learned to code about the same time he learned to spell. His family bounced around a lot when he was a kid. He spent several years in Minneapolis, where he knew Latin by the fourth grade, and a few years in Kansas, where he got into foreign cinema. Wherever he went, he always had a computer project, making games on his Apple II Plus computer. “I think I was born with a computer attached,” he told the podcast Stratechery earlier this year.

Although Peters speaks and dresses like a classic Silicon Valley tech exec (he’s a big vest guy), he initially wanted to be an astronaut. He got an ROTC scholarship to attend Yale University, where he double-majored in astronomy and physics; for his thesis, he wrote a software program that modeled the inner workings of stars to explain how they function. After graduation, he joined the US Air Force and was stationed in LA with the idea that his training would eventually prepare him to go to outer space. But he spent most of his time working on GPS satellites and, after a classified assignment in Sunnyvale, ultimately decided he didn’t want to wait the decade it might take for a shot to leave Earth.

Instead he took an engineering job at Wine.com, one of several startups looking to corner the market online. Flush with cash from venture capitalists, the Bay Area company fell prey to the hype cycle of the first dot-com bubble. But not before Peters got an advanced education. Wine.com employed several master sommeliers who’d sit around the kitchen with 40 to 50 open bottles and talk shop. Today, Peters is still passionate about the subject. During a recent dinner at an Italian restaurant in LA, he spent several minutes discussing the merits of different wines with the sommelier, ultimately settling on a 50-year-old Barolo. (The sommelier approved.) Peters provided regular updates during the meal as the Barolo opened up; the wine at first tasted to him like cigar and “wet cardboard” before the flavor of cherry emerged. “It could be cherry juice,” he said. “It’s remarkable.”

An engineer by trade, Peters was first employed at Netflix in a job that required him to be a salesman. Streaming was so new that most electronics businesses had no interest in working with the company. About 95% of device makers turned Netflix away. But Peters needed only a few early converts. He and Hastings would visit the Irvine, California, television manufacturer Vizio Inc. and pitch it on manufacturing TVs connected to the internet. William Wang, the company’s founder and CEO, had tried making a smart TV in the late 1990s and lost a lot of money. But he was ready to try again. Peters and Hastings also persuaded Vizio to put a button on its remotes to open Netflix with one click. Netflix also scored a big vote of confidence when Microsoft Corp. agreed to make the service available on its popular gaming console, Xbox.

Netflix’s office building on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles.

Netflix’s office building on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles.Photographer: Bing Guan/Bloomberg via Getty Images

It didn’t take long for Hastings to identify Peters as one of a handful of executives with CEO potential. Peters did eventually get the company onto every device imaginable; he built local delivery networks to ensure streaming quality even in remote parts of Latin America; and he assembled an effective team. When the education technology company Coursera Inc. tried to hire Peters as its chief technology officer in 2015, Hastings kept him at Netflix by offering him a dream position. He asked Peters to lead Netflix’s expansion into Japan, its first market in Asia. Peters’ wife is Japanese, and he’d spent years learning the language. His posting in Tokyo the same year was controversial internally. As general manager, he’d have oversight of not just local operations but also programming, marketing and publicity. This was the first country where Sarandos didn’t oversee programming.