Supreme Court rules in favor of Republican Gerrymandering in South Carolina, Disenfranchising thousands of black voters

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps

The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that Republicans in South Carolina did not unlawfully consider race when they drew a congressional district in a way that removed thousands of Black voters, in a decision that makes it harder for civil rights plaintiffs to bring racial gerrymandering claims.

The court, divided 6-3 on ideological lines with conservatives in the majority, said civil rights groups had not done enough to show that legislators were focused on race in drawing the Charleston-area district currently represented by Rep. Nancy Mace, a Republican.

While the Supreme Court was considering the case, much more slowly than expected, the lower court that had invalidated the map said it could be used for this year’s election.

In the South, Black voters tend to be Democrats, so it can be difficult to separate race from politics.

Leah Aden, a lawyer with the Legal Defense Fund civil rights group who argued the case at the Supreme Court for the plaintiffs, said the ruling is "disheartening not only for our case, but other cases" because the Supreme Court has now disavowed reliance on evidence it had previously said could be relied upon.

"The bar keeps on getting moved, and it keeps getting harder and harder for plaintiffs to uproot racial discrimination," she added.

In dissent, liberal Justice Elena Kagan wrote that the majority had "stacked the deck" against the challengers by saying that evidence about the impact on Black voters can easily be sidestepped if the state can offer an alternative narrative that insists voters were divvied up based on partisan interests.

"What a message to send to state legislators and mapmakers about racial gerrymandering," she added.

#BothSides strikes yet again

Also clears the way for more black voters to be disenfranchised across the U.S.

King Poetic

In My Lifetime
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
And nikkas want to set back and laugh at hillary, laugh at biden..

Remember if people would have voted for hillary in 2016 the supreme court would be left not right because of trump..

Thats why u vote left not because of biden but u hope one of those cacs and c00n thomas on the Supreme Court dropped dead and u can get some people on the left on there

RageKage

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Macragge
And nikkas want to set back and laugh at hillary, laugh at biden..

Remember if people would have voted for hillary in 2016 the supreme court would be left not right because of trump..

Thats why u vote left not because of biden but u hope one of those cacs and c00n thomas on the Supreme Court dropped dead and u can get some people on the left on there
So true..that fakkit got to place 3 supreme court justices:damn:

Yzak

All Star
Bushed
Daps
:russell: same shyt going on for 100+ years but y'all still act like cacs aren't the enemy.

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
Noooo wtf. I gotta do this post all over again
*clears throat* I need every last one of you c00ns to understand THIS is why we DON'T vote/choose the couch/vote downballot. You gotta understand, the President gets to nominate any vacancies on the Supreme Court. Trump already got to appoint 3 :salute: a third of the vote. Biden and Obama's appointments were the only ones to vote against this :umad: Trump's and the others voted for it so even that bullshyt about "downballot" is nullified :blessed: That's even MORE time for advanced research on hairlines :gladbron: and I ain't even done!! Breh....

WE GET TO BYTCH ABOUT JAMAICAN RESTAURANTS AND RANDOM PODCASTS