Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct (November 1st, 2018 at 10AM EST)

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Other than that, the game looks dope. I’m bummed to see the Grinch leak get disproved (fukkin Pirahna Plant :russ:) But with all this dope shyt like every old character, Ridley, and House Belmont, it’s all good. Will preorder today and grab the fighter pass.

Gonzo

Banned
Daps
Reppin
USA
I'm an older breh so all of this fluff doesn't impress me. I just want nice core gameplay without all the fluff and flashy shyt. This game is doing 'too much'. Xenoblade 2 had a similar problem.

How old is older breh

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Falco already had the Arwing gassed up and was out. "Y'all nikkas got it. Deuces."

My man Sonic getting caught cause he slowed down to save Pikachu. A hero to the last.:to:

Snake really thought he had em with that box tho. He swore to God that was the move.:bryan:
:ufdup:Snake did get em. Only the box got taken out. Snake threw on that optical camo and ducked the blast. :DAIGOSNAKECHIBI:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I watched it again and it looks like just another form of event mode.

Your put in a match under different circumstances and rules that you have to beat. Sounds just like event mode but now your in a overworld with puzzles and items .Doesn’t really sound to thrilling to me I need to see more of it

I wish this was more like melee adventure mode where you run through different Nintendo worlds and fight the boss of that world and go to the next one. That’s what I wanted:yeshrug:
I'm watching it and Spirits mode seems better than events mode because the conditions aren't random but carefully themed around the spirits that's setup.

This post on Resetera seems to explain it better.

Spirits in General
jsfwemg6so1zqnxqwzmo.png

Replacing trophies hurt. Like I said, they were an amazing glossary. At first, I was down on Spirits because they seemed to be glorified brawl stickers, however that is not the case.

Spirits from all over gaming history can “possess” fighters in the game and influence the scenario of battle.

Let’s look at an example - The Spirit of Shantae “possesses” Zero Suit Samus. So Zero Suit Samus wears her athletic wear alternate costume to mimic Shantae, starts the battle with a sword, and the battle takes place on Wind Waker’s Pirate Ship. Effectively, they’ve recreated and referenced a scenario from the Shantae games by using stuff from the Metroid series and the Zelda series.
Dq7VLZmWkAE9xZk.jpg

Another aspect of Spirits is summoning. For example, Paper Mario can be “summoned” by using a Cut Man spirit from the Mega Man franchise and a cardboard box from the Metal Gear franchise.

Overall, Spirits over the past two days has shown that it allows for characters and franchises, even the deepest of cuts, from all over gaming history to be referenced in Scenarios created from eachother

Classic Mode
classic-mode.original.jpg

Continuing in the same vein as Spirits, Classic Mode is back and better than ever. In Smash 4, this mode was disappointingly random and not unique for characters.

In Smash Ultimate, every fighter has their own unique classic campaign - from Donkey Kong’s “Journey to New Donk City” to Kirby’s “Gourmet Clash,” the new classic mode captures the essence of each fighter using stages and characters from all different franchises.

For instance, all of Ryu’s battles are Stamina Battles on flat stages, referencing his home games. And Zero Suit Samus is fought to Chun Li’s theme on Earthbound’s Onett.

Donkey Kong’s “Journey to New Donk” campaign could take him across multiple urban stages, as we see him fighting the Inklings on Moray Towers.

Adventure Mode: World of Light
maxresdefault.jpg

Of course, the jaw dropping Infinity War-like intro cutscene is one way Ultimate’s new adventure mode embraces and intertwined gaming history, and there is hopefully some more where that came from. However, unlike the Subspace Emmissary in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, there’s more to it than just the cutscenes.

Super-Smash-Bros.-Ultimate-Easter-Egg-worldoflight-consoles-nov22018.jpg

In addition to themed Spirits battles mentioned in the first section, the “World of Light” is actually jam packed with references to locations from all sorts of games. A big one though, is the “Nintendo City” pictured above with a few of their consoles making up the buildings.

However, we can also see a lava area themed after Super Mario 3D World, the Sealed grounds from Skyward Sword, and Metal Gear Rex’s hangar (which seems to be where a big robot boss is fought) among others.

Bosses are another element of this. We already know Castlevania’s Dracula and Monster Hunter’s Rathalos can be fought here. However, the icon on the menu hints at Balder (Bayonetta) and King Bublin (The Legend of Zelda) too!

——————————
Overall, thanks to the new Spirits system and creativity of the dev team, Smash Ultimate’s single player seems to soar above the rest for me. It allows for a new dimension of crossovers in which scenarios from one series can be recreated using aspects from others, and deep cut franchises can be brought to light.
The bolded I didn't seem to catch from the Direct. I didn't know Classic was themed around each character. Classic mode in Smash Wii U/3DS was disappointing as fukk with the random pieces on a board you selected.