Suicide Squad (Official Thread)

mr x

Superstar
Daps
So would you tell Daniel-Day Lewis he's not a good actor? :heh:

Method acting exists because if you're going to assume a role that is on some far end of the spectrum away from how you are in real life you can't just hop in and out of it and expect it to be convincing on-screen. Pacino, Nicholson, Hoffman, Brando, down to modern actors like Leto and Bale all do it to varying levels. More extreme the character, more extreme the commitment.

Someone really brought up Sam Jackson? :heh: The man is the same in every movie, he's ALWAYS in character :dead:

Daniel-Day would be a cool first name.

But to answer your question. No I wouldn't I tell Day-Lewis he's not a good actor because he's a very fine actor. He could probably pull off these roles without it.

I mean look at the history of the art of acting and all the roles on the far end of the spectrum that people pull off all the time without it.

Like I said, to each his own.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Bushed
Daps
I don't think Brando had to try, he was just that good of an actor, I remember hearing stories from Robert Duvall and others being mesmerized by him on set of the godfather, he didn't care, he was stuffing his face the whole time, imagine trying to ask this guy for tips while he's munching on a Meatball sandwich

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Hell even Will Smith himself has done method acting with his roles in Six Degrees Of Separation and Ali.

You don't HAVE to method act, but for particular roles it can be almost a necessity. People think about Daniel Day-Lewis because he's on the extreme side of the spectrum, but almost every successful actor at one point in time has done it for a role

mr x

Superstar
Daps
I don't think Brando had to try, he was just that good of an actor, I remember hearing stories from Robert Duvall and others being mesmerized by him on set of the godfather, he didn't care, he was stuffing his face the whole time, imagine trying to ask this guy for tips while he's munching on a Meatball sandwich

Imagine the whole cast of that movie method acting. It would be hilarious to be on that crew.

James smacking up Gianni....Everyone smacking up John.:lolbron:

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
Daniel-Day would be a cool first name.

But to answer your question. No I wouldn't I tell Day-Lewis he's not a good actor because he's a very fine actor. He could probably pull off these roles without it.

I mean look at the history of the art of acting and all the roles on the far end of the spectrum that people pull off all the time without it.

Like I said, to each his own.
But DDL is the single most extreme current user of the method today. Didn't leave his wheelchair for My Left Foot, lived in the woods and learned how to fur trap and skin for Mohicans, wrote his co-star letters as Abe for Lincoln, learned to be a butcher and refused warmer clothes despite getting pneumonia during Gangs of New York.

You're saying good actors could do this without the extreme commitment, but the best actor today is the most extreme of them all.
Brando is basically considered the first A-lister to popularize the method, and his greatness is why so many people after him go that route. Now, method =/= staying in character 24/7, it's about understanding the character you're playing intimately and exploring all of that characters thoughts, emotions, feelings, actions as if they're your own. But obviously, you can see where going further and just staying in that mindset for the duration of a shoot comes in.

The last decades of his career Brando didn't even remember lines, he just sunk himself into the character and either read lines (like in the godfather he had them taped to other actors when they were off camera) or just read aloud to him so instead of reciting word for word he could just be this person and convey the idea with natural spontaneity.

Last edited:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Hell even Will Smith himself has done method acting with his roles in Six Degrees Of Separation and Ali.

You don't HAVE to method act, but for particular roles it can be almost a necessity. People think about Daniel Day-Lewis because he's on the extreme side of the spectrum, but almost every successful actor at one point in time has done it for a role
you don't have to method act to play the joker The stuff on social media and sending gifts to costars isn't even method acting it's just silly and unecessary dude has his Oscar now we are witnessing the hubris, simple as.

Daps
Reppin
St louis
i'll say it again.......I'm alot more excited about Suicide squad.
it seems more organic.
batman vs. superman just seems like
a money grab to combat the Avengers.
:ehh:

wat6rr.jpg

Bini Knight

All Star
Daps
you don't have to method act to play the joker The stuff on social media and sending gifts to costars isn't even method acting it's just silly and unecessary dude has his Oscar now we are witnessing the hubris, simple as.
Yall are way too emotional over this

i'll say it again.......I'm alot more excited about Suicide squad.
it seems more organic.
batman vs. superman just seems like
a money grab to combat the Avengers.

:ehh:

wat6rr.jpg
Just imagine if comic fans in the 80s & 90s could read all yall complaining on the brink of all this potential piff from DC and marvel

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Hasn't Leto been digging into methods acting for a while now though. I could have swore there were stories about him going method for Dallas Buyers Club, that movie where he played Mark David Chapman and even going all the way back to Requiem for a Dream.
Dude is just one of those kind of intense as fukk actors.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Hasn't Leto been digging into methods acting for a while now though. I could have swore there were stories about him going method for Dallas Buyers Club, that movie where he played Mark David Chapman and even going all the way back to Requiem for a Dream.
Dude is just one of those kind of intense as fukk actors.

Yea MM said he really didnt meet Leto until they finished filming. Certain things work for certain people :yeshrug:

If he has to mentally be character all day in order to deliver the best possible performance, so be it. Better than him letting the pressure of following Heath get to him. He did his normal routine...hopefully it works.