Successful woman seeks supportive boyfriend: an impossibility

Desirous

Action expresses priorities
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
What are your thoughts on this article? http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...-an-impossibility-study-says/article14027638/

Lead researcher Dr. Kate Ratliff of the University of Florida said “men automatically interpret a partner’s success as their own failure, even when they’re not in direct competition.”

Men subconsciously felt worse about themselves when they thought about a time when their partner succeeded. (Their self-worth was measured by a computer that tracked how quickly they associated positive and negative words with their identity.)

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
I've heard some men say they wouldn't/couldn't date a woman who makes significantly more than them because it makes them feel less of a man. I can kind of understand this because of the role of the man is to provide and protect his household and if he feels he's not doing that then it can make him seem as a failure although I don't agree with the though pattern.

Desirous

Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I can understand it also, based on the way society is constructed. I don't agree with it either, but I admit that when considering a relationship, I do like for the man to be equally as successful (or at least have the motivation to be) as me. I'm ambitious so I'd want to be with someone who is also a go-getter. Wouldn't really matter to me if I make a few more dollars than him though, because in reality, in a few years, he can catch up and even surpass what I'm making simply because he's a man and men advance a lot faster than women in the business world.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've heard some men say they wouldn't/couldn't date a woman who makes significantly more than them because it makes them feel less of a man. I can kind of understand this because of the role of the man is to provide and protect his household and if he feels he's not doing that then it can make him seem as a failure although I don't agree with the though pattern.
you can't run your family/home from a subordinate position. if a guy truly wants to run his relationship, he needs to dominate his woman financially.

Last edited:

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
I can understand it also, based on the way society is constructed. I don't agree with it either, but I admit that when considering a relationship, I do like for the man to be equally as successful (or at least have the motivation to be) as me. I'm ambitious so I'd want to be with someone who is also a go-getter. Wouldn't really matter to me if I make a few more dollars than him though, because in reality, in a few years, he can catch up and even surpass what I'm making simply because he's a man and men advance a lot faster than women in the business world.
I agree with this statement, I don't care if a guy is working at Walmart or Burger King, as long as he as some kind of goals or aspirations and is following through with them I'd get with him. It's those guys who don't want to do anything up play PS3/Xbox all day and talk about being a rapper that grate my nerves.

Desirous

Daps
Reppin
Toronto
you can't run your family/home from a subordinate position. if a guy truly wants to run in his relationship, he needs to dominate his woman financially.

At one point, my mom was pulling more money than my dad and he was fine with it because all the money went into one account and towards the same household. They would always consult with one another before making big purchases. I don't think that making less money than someone makes you subordinate.