String Bell's Sheisty Thoughts

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
The COVID Crisis Law Firm Layoff Tracker: What’s Your Firm Doing To Survive?

“Let us know what your firm is doing to survive during this unprecedented moment in time. The following firms have told employees they won’t cut salaries/conduct furloughs (Cahill Gordon; Weil; Quinn Emanuel (partner distributions have been deferred and draws have been adjusted); Shearman; Perkins Coie (see below); Morrison Foerster; Vinson & Elkins; Ropes & Gray; Kramer Levin; Morgan Lewis; Schulte Roth and Zabel; DLA Piper; Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner(see below); Arnold & Porter; Covington & Burling; Sidley; Greenberg Traurig) or have offered bonuses and special pandemic tech stipends ( Skadden; Fried Frank; Debevoise; Willkie(no stipend, but offered to ship all tech needed); Milbank; Quinn Emanuel; Ropes & Gray; Kramer Levin; Schulte Roth and Zabel, Simpson Thacher).”

Good luck op- commanding that $200k salary when only 3 firms haven’t had layoffs, reductions or salary cuts since April.
:mjlol::mjlol:

I gave up on big law in 2018

:gucci:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Doesn't make my descriptions of all these groups less true

Yes it does.

Because your humbled position makes you biased toward mis-characterization.

Did I not share a connect with you?

Did I not verbalize now and in the past that I would have forwarded your resume over to my connects if I had an iota of belief that you would represent well?

That should've shown you my empathy to your situation and my willingness to help. But your own "failings and shortcomings" put people in a hard position.

You've mis-characterized me as "boule" and of you not meeting my "standards" when right now, you're not meeting anyone's standard.

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
Yes it does.

Did I not verbalize now and in the past that I would have forwarded your resume over to my connects if I had an iota of belief that you would represent well?

That should've shown you my empathy to your situation and my willingness to help. But your own "failings and shortcomings" put people in a hard position.

You've mis-characterized me as "boule" and of you not meeting my "standards" when right now, you're not meeting anyone's standard.

I commend you for trying to help a breh out but this ain’t the right situation at best he trolling and at worse he just a dumb ass. Dnt let this trolling clown ruin it for other people.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Yes it does.

I tried to give him many gems in the past on this topic only for him to call me the "African" in return. Some people just reap what they sow.

Gus Money

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Wait, so breh hasnt passed the bar?
You don’t take the bar until the summer after you’ve graduated, usually in July. But several states have pushed their bar exams back due to covid.

Craziest comment I saw was some lawyers are barely making 40k and u add in over 200 k in student loan debt is cray
A lot people graduating from law school now are lucky to secure any actual legal job, let alone one that pays $40k. And those $40k jobs often means you qualify for loan forgiveness.

A law degree is hella versatile. Flip that into something else. What? I don’t know!!!!
Ehh it’s debatable how versatile they really are. Law school doesn’t really teach you much besides how to “write like a lawyer” and a lot of other fields don’t really rely on that style writing. If you don’t already have skills or experience in other fields then going to law school usually isn’t going to prepare you for that. Not saying it’s impossible but it isn’t some magic/portable degree.

Ironically, having a law degree might actually make it harder to get a job outside the legal field, especially if you never actually worked as a lawyer. Employers are gonna assume you’ll dip out for a legal job if one opens up, and he would likely not even be considered for a paralegal or legal assistant job either.

Plus, like @Nicole0416 said you’d likely need additional certifications or experience to make that transition work.

Last edited:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
I saw a black male civil attorney at a predominately white firm in Georgia

I guess you know your self and how you would be in those dymamics if hired.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
Taking yourself out of the game before you even give it a attempt :mjlol:

Why would I waste my time and energy somewhere I know im not getting hired? Even if I get an interview they aren't hiring me over some cac they feel is a better fit.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Is the normal path for black male lawyers is to work for state prosecuter and_or state public defender office then get own practice like Kenneth Montgomery ( Taxstone and Bobby Schmurda ex lawyer)?