Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

Hamza B.

Pro
Daps
Reppin
This Dunya...and Beyond
Maybe I'm being too critical, but this movie was straight :trash: to me. I knew I was in for some bullshyt when the opening scene had Eazy rocking a 1991 black Sox hat in 1985. :beli:Yes, it's just a hat, but it showed me how little attention to detail went into this. Anybody that was around at the time remembers when those Sox hats came out because they took the streets and schools over, and this was after Cube went solo. shyt just got way worse from there. The acting was the only thing that made it watchable, but the clunky writing and the amount of duck tales ("What you gonna name that shyt?….Aftermath" :mjlol:) and timeline fukk-ups (Pac recording "Hail Mary":scust:) was just too much for me.

The biggest criticism I have though is the downplaying of Ren. Watching this without knowing anything about NWA, you would think he was just some sidekick/Vinny from Naughty By Nature type dude. Ren was the second most prolific lyric writer on Straight Outta Compton, behind only Cube. And he became the primary writer when Cube left. Not to mention he was a naturally gifted rapper, and wasn't viewed as a second fiddle at the time. Only young people or idiots think Ren wasn't good.

Ren just never got that same level of mainstream shine like Dre, Eazy, and Cube, and they pretty much cut him and his contribution out of the history. I can't get past this enough to give this movie a chance. It's too much of a revisionist history for me to overlook. Plus, they got an actor that looked nothing like him and had him rocking an oversized fitted all black Dodgers hat throughout the movie….which didn't exist (another fukkin wardrobe error!) This just added insult to injury.

Yes, my beefs with this movie are mostly rap nerd criticisms. I don't deny that. I just was hoping that for once they would give a hip hop artist a biopic with high quality standards and attention to detail that they've given plenty of rock, r&b, and country artists (The Doors, Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Buddy Holly, etc.). Instead, they delivered a dumbed down corny movie who's only claim to fame is that it's better than Notorious or 8 Mile. Not gonna cut it, and I'm dreading this upcoming Pac movie.:to:

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
remember that line from the cop during the first shakedown "theres only one gangster out here, the LAPD" :laff:

who the fukk left that in :laff:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
It was good, not great. The first half is much stronger than the second half.

I remember one film reviewer saying it went from a great biopic to a hip-hop avengers. Biopics are often watered down to make the subjects look better, which resulted in no mentions of Dee Barnes, but instead shows Dre going 88' Tyson on Mob Pirus and stopping the DR goonery with a loud "shut up" :mjlol:

If you are really into a subject, any "based on a true story" will probably bother you with its inaccuracies.

I really didn't have that much of an issue with the Eazy characterization. Maybe it was the acting, but he was the most fleshed-out character to me and showed different sides to him.

Although implying he was broke seemed like BS to me when he was getting paid off of Dre and also Bone Thugs. I know Kevin Powell from VIBE said Eazy was really hurt by what had happened but that scene of him crying when looking at the Chronic billboard seemed like a stretch for something really dramatic.

People said it made Eazy look really bad, but I thought it was more of a case of making Cube and especially Dre look too good. It made it look like Eazy was in the dark about Heller screwing Dre and Cube, and wasn't cheating them himself, which I have my doubts of. It obviously doesn't show Dre beating up Barnes and Eazy and Ren talking about "good, the bytch had it coming, she needs to get beat like that again". Didn't talk about Eazy having 7 kids with 6 women, which resulted in one of my favorite Eazy songs "fukk my Baby's Mama"

It was still a good biopic despite being watered down.

BTW, anyone else see the documentary Tupac: Reserruction? I recently rewatched it. After seeing it, I have even less interest in the 2Pac biopic

DTR90

Rookie
Daps
Overall I thought it was good, told the story very well, but there was a couple of cheesy moments, and one or two moments where I thought "yeah, that definitely didn't happen." Also Ren only had like two or three lines in the entire film when he was a pure talent and pretty much carried the group after Cube left. But a solid 7/10.

The production reminded me of 24 Hour Party People a bit, another really good 80s music biopic.

Probably mentioned in here before but did anyone spot the "cameo" from Public Enemy in the scene where Cube is recording AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted?

kt773

All Star
Daps
Reppin
chi town southside wild 100's
The story of Eazy, his master Heller, Dre, Cube, Ren, Yella and Arabian Prince is the definition of the "American dream" and everything wrong with it. This is not a classic. This is an idealized depiction of the truth that made heroes out of men who should not be seen as heroes within our communities and in my opinion, helped destroy consciousness Rap culture and the inner city black family unit. I believe NWA and the groups that sprung up around that time were being used as the propaganda arm of the school to prison pipeline that was being installed in the black community that would finance the growth of the for-profit prison industry and fund various illegal wars and revolutions in distant lands. In short, Dre and Cube are brilliant entrepreneurs but I could wipe my ass with this film. How about we get a film that tells the fukking truth about what happened in the 80s and 90s. Before anyone calls me a c00n go take a hard look at the numbers and then think carefully. What happened? Who benefitted? Who profited? Who lost?

Wake.
the.
fukk.
up.

Film was well made from a technical standpoint and well casted. That's all I got to say on that.
Lol wake the fukk up....how about you late as fukk....inner cities were run over with drugs and guns in the 80s....negative rap music was and will always be a minor influence When talking about the prison pipe line what put more black men in jail? Guns and drugs, or gangsta rap? Get rid of two of these and you will see change in are neighborhoods

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Also Ren only had like two or three lines in the entire film when he was a pure talent and pretty much carried the group after Cube left.

MC Ren had no characterization whatsoever. At least Yella was the fun-loving guy who just wanted to get laid and even enjoyed No Vaseline.

Ren was just....there. He raps and looks mad a couple times

He went out like Kunta Kinte.