Stockton/Malone played 18 seasons together and were eliminated in the 1st round 9 times

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
1990. 55 win team. Lost 3-2 to Phoenix, including a 2 pt loss in the winner take all game.

The Jazz had a 9 pt lead with 7 minutes to go in game 5. Then scored 1 pt in 4:30.

Malone was 6-12 from the line and said they were “complacent.” KJ said the Jazz “questioned themselves.”

—————————-

I remember Malone clanking those FTs.

NYC Rebel

Daps
By the start of 1991, people were openly questioning the Jazz.

In 1991, they lost to Portland, 4-2. Malone had a turnover to lose game 4. Sound familiar?

In game 5, they gave a 16-0 run in the 3rd period…by not scoring for the first 5 minutes in the second half.

This is why I would never complain about this era of basketball. Scoring drought 90s NBA ball was disgusting to watch. :scust:

Jordan pixie dust got folks fooled

NYC Rebel

Daps
that twitter thread noted 3 of 6 MJ championships were against perennial chockers in Seattle and Utah, but I would add Portland to that list as well. So 2/3 not half . And that's nothing against MJ because he deserves all his props:mjgrin:
Portland may be worse than the Jazz when it comes to choking

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Malone and Stockton.

Their legacies are propped up by their longevity, which smoothed over their shortcomings of being passive and not having scoring skillsets and mentalities that were conducive to winning basketball.

Stockton shied away from being aggressive when the Jazz needed him to score; he's given a pass for this because of the bullshyt archaic thinking that was attached to him being a pure PG. Malone didn't have a 1v1 scoring skillset and 'alpha' mentality that many of his peers had. He was a master at capitalizing on easy scoring opportunities, as it was his main source of scoring to make up for a lack of skill. He had a habit of fading in-and-out of games too because he didn't have a demeanor of winning by any means necessary.

As iconic as they were as a duo, they were also the worst kind of duo because they didn't have contrasting personalities to balance each other out.
Yeah. This is it.

I think Sloan was a better coach than those two as players.

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
I remember someone saying Karl scored more points than anyone in history(other than Kareem at the time) but if I needed a basket with my life on the line there are so many others guys I’d go to because he didn’t have that elite 1-1 scoring skill set

It seems crazy for a guy who scored over 30,000 points but it’s true :mjlol:

Didn’t they have a rule gimmick-y offense.