8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
All I wanna know is why is all of this happening the past 2 years

Royalty income >>>>>> Lump Sum of Cash
Covid basically put everything into uncertainty. And people like Sting are asking themselves "how much more am i really going to make off of this shyt at this point in my life? do i really NEED the rights to this shyt?"

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Everyone beat me to the generational wealth comments:heh:

Look, if you are a regular cat and you start a business that grosses 600k, selling it for 2mil might be a “but generational wealth” moment to piss and moan about.

When you are making 50million and up on catalogs, that money can absolutely last for a few generations. Definitely when you are in the 100mill category. Folks don’t understand that that kinda money makes money and the cash from owning the music might not make nearly as much as investing elsewhere.

Also, like with Bevel, just because a business offers you xxx for your business does not mean you will see xxx while operating it: they see value in what they can do with your brand and their resources. Putting 500mil on the table does not mean I am worth a billi.
Also people forget Sting owned his masters early (that's why he commanded high fees when people sample his shyt) owning your masters is important but he made all the money he could from it now he can double or even triple the worth and cash out. People who don't have a catalog of hits or sales or are new in the game wouldn't command such a selling price.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Makes sense in the environment of high valuation of catalogs going at the moment, a lot of private equity is getting into music publishing which is driving up the price of the music catalogs. Most of the money that artist make nowadays comes from touring so they will have an opportunity to make money. But taking $300 million and investing it is probably a better bet than just holding your publishing and getting a better a smaller payment upfront.
why would you need to invest $300 million
its $300 million

dude is 70 years old that been making money most his life and just got another 300 million on top of what he already has

why would he need to do anything but chill on beaches til the day he dies :dwillhuh:

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
I thought ownership was the way to go
ownership doesnt mean much when you've already made the bulk of your money back when records actually sold...
30+ years of stupid caking off royalties and performances,
then selling it all off for 300mill in the worldwide pandemic streaming era
smart move in my opinion

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps

:francis:why is this so hard for yall to get alot of these artists are starting to realize there music's Royalty value has peaked, 30 years from now no one gonna be listening to sting like that, take that big bag now and retire super rich into the sunset

Alvin

Superstar
Daps

Big selling prices AND the fact he owned his masters for years, now he has leverage to command a high price