Sting sells music catalog to Universal Music Publishing for ~$300M

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
At the very least. I heard Cam'ron had to give damn near 90% of his share of this song to Sting

Sting admitted that Cam drove sales to Roxanne.

Stevie did similar to Coolio for the Pasttime Paradise sample he used for Gangsta's Paradise. Stevie said he loved the song and when that paperwork came, Coolio saw 90%. He signed it though. :pachaha:

Smart Move :yeshrug:

My Girl is Bow Legged

JUST DO IT LIKE
Daps
Sting and sampling has been a huge part of hip hop from the 90s to now. He was notorious for strong arming ppl. Juice world said he gave him like 90% for that single just because he knew the song would propel him.

So yeah this shyt is relevant to hip hop because he's sampled on iconic shyt and sample clearance w sting has always been an issue
they could just not sample his shyt :yeshrug:

give all the money from your biggest song to a white man brehs

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
wcw-sting.gif

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Everyone beat me to the generational wealth comments:heh:

Look, if you are a regular cat and you start a business that grosses 600k, selling it for 2mil might be a “but generational wealth” moment to piss and moan about.

When you are making 50million and up on catalogs, that money can absolutely last for a few generations. Definitely when you are in the 100mill category. Folks don’t understand that that kinda money makes money and the cash from owning the music might not make nearly as much as investing elsewhere.

Also, like with Bevel, just because a business offers you xxx for your business does not mean you will see xxx while operating it: they see value in what they can do with your brand and their resources. Putting 500mil on the table does not mean I am worth a billi.

ZEupTWN

Mid|Range|Game|
Daps
Next generation not gonna know what to do with that catalog plus relationships get complicated that lead to lowballing, shady contracts etc. shyt happens all the time....

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
When they sell their catalogues, that means no more royalties, pay from commercials, etc

Do they still get paid off the contract they had before signing their $ over to corporate rats? Do they royalties from 1994(just a date) still come to them, or the new owners get it?

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Honestly in the streaming era and 30 years after your prime I wouldn't care anymore. Gimme the money I dont care if youre using Roxanne to sell toothpaste and Im big on artists not selling out.

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
I'm actually surprised he did this, his catalog is definitely worth that. I'm interested in seeing how these music companies eat

Edit he 70 yeah this makes sense.