Stimulus & Bailout Watch Thread

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Doing so has helped rethugs to take control of the narrative.:yeshrug:I dont htink its the time to play politics, look at the headlines...

Democrats block $2 trillion coronavirus rescue bill
Democrats in Congress must quit holding up relief bill
Senate GOP ramps up pressure on Democrats

:snoop:
Obsessing over daily headlines isn't good. Today the headline is that a deal is eminent. Yesterday's headline doesn't matter. If a deal gets passed no one is going to care that the bill failed initially.

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
GOP senators expect stimulus vote to be Wednesday

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Senior Democrats and Republicans said on Tuesday they were close to a deal on a $2 trillion coronavirus economic stimulus package, raising hopes that the divided U.S. Congress could soon act to try to limit the pandemic’s economic fallout.

“At last, I believe, we’re on the five-yard line,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said, using a football analogy meaning close to scoring, as the chamber opened its session on Tuesday morning.

“We are very close,” added McConnell, the top Republican in Congress.

House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi, the top Democrat in Congress, said the two sides had agreed to more oversight provisions for a proposed $500 billion fund to help hard-hit businesses, resolving a key sticking point.

“I think there is a real optimism that we could get something done in the next few hours,” Pelosi told CNBC.

Steven Mnuchin, President Donald Trump’s treasury secretary, told reporters that lawmakers hope to have a draft ready within the next two to three hours. He confirmed the changes to the industrial fund.

“There’s better oversight,” Mnuchin said.

Along with the industrial aid, the bill would send direct payments of up to $3,000 to millions of U.S. families at a cost of $500 billion. It also would provide $350 billion for small-business loans, $250 billion for expanded unemployment aid and at least $75 billion for hospitals.

Democrats have twice blocked attempts to advance the bill, saying it did not provide enough money for states and hospitals, lacked sufficient aid for unemployed Americans and did not include adequate supervision of a massive fund to aid big businesses.

Those concerns appear to have been addressed.

“I’m very optimistic that there will be a deal announced this morning,” Democratic Senator Chris c00ns said on MSNBC.

Wall Street bounced from three-year lows on Tuesday on hopes that the Senate might be close to ending its standoff on the legislation.

Trump, seeking re-election on Nov. 3, has said he may ease a public-health clamp-down that aims to slow the spread of the virus in an effort to quickly restart the economy. Other officials warned that such an action could compound the damage.
'Very close:' $2 trillion coronavirus aid deal takes shape in U.S. Congress