Stick a giant fork in PewDiePie

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
https://www.youtube.com/user/WhytMangaTV

young black talented man on youtube straight influencing other artists to make manga outside Japan while also trying to make a profit off his own hard work with only 100k followers been following since way below that.

vs

White dude with 50+ mill followers who took advantage of a trend very early that is very popular now... oh and who says the N word in a hateful way with aggression when he's upset during gaming

this is the world we live in today. I don't know how these people are dropping stacks in donations for non original content.
Because a large segment of cacs that game are inherently racist...

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
I go to my YT app on my phone. Go to my home page and see Dude video. Click on it. I watched for less than 10 seconds and no BS dude got like over 1k in donations:gucci:

25k likes
1k dislikes

I need a YT man. I literally just watched 10 seconds and dude made over 1k. I was so disgusted I couldn't even try and troll in his comment section:snoop:

I feel you, but don't assume being a YouTuber is easy when in reality if you don't have a lane or plan and your just posting boring vids clickbait videos you wont grow.

Well clickbaiters do grow but they have limited shine on YT.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
yeah that's their stance - they don't want to be associated w/ him

it'll be interesting how it plays out...moreso for the wider LP community

fukk PDP though, hope his idiot ass gets 2 more strikes

edit:

looks like the bytch responded whining about it being illegal

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
yeah that's their stance - they don't want to be associated w/ him

it'll be interesting how it plays out...moreso for the wider LP community

fukk PDP though, hope his idiot ass gets 2 more strikes

edit:

looks like the bytch responded whining about it being illegal

it just seems like it could be a dangerous precedent. companies gonna be dropping copyright claims cause they don't like you. it walks the line of being considered discrimination

not to mention, Firewatch probably see some sales because PDP streamed their game. but now (1.5 years after release), when they know their game isn't gonna see any more significant sales, they wanna pull the video

fukk PDP though

on a side note: someone with the last name "Kjellberg" shouldn't be fronting like "Vanaman" is hard to pronounce

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
it just seems like it could be a dangerous precedent. companies gonna be dropping copyright claims cause they don't like you. it walks the line of being considered discrimination
If you're illegally using their intellectual property that's within their rights. It's just the risk someone using someone else's intellectual property takes.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
If you're illegally using their intellectual property that's within their rights. It's just the risk someone using someone else's intellectual property takes.
I'm not sure this has been firmly established, as far as Let's Play's. much of it could be considered "derivative work"

not to mention that Campo Santo actually said people could stream, and monetize, Let's Play's of Firewatch

Firewatch: Available Now on Windows, PS4, Xbox One, Mac, & Linux

to be clear, there is also a difference between actual copyright law, and youtube policy

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I'm not sure this has been firmly established, as far as Let's Play's. much of it could be considered "derivative work"
Except most let's plays aren't a derivative work it's literally people talking over someone else's copyrighted audio / video content that they don't have the rights to use unless the company says so. Let's plays exist because publishers allow them to. Also they will likely never go to court because the people that do them are usually small individuals that don't have the money or resources to fight a publisher in court. The argument is far more convincing that a court of law would strike down a let's play rather than affirm it.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Except most let's plays aren't a derivative work it's literally people talking over someone else's copyrighted audio / video content that they don't have the rights to use unless the company says so. Let's plays exist because publishers allow them to. Also they will likely never go to court because the people that do them are usually small individuals that don't have the money or resources to fight a publisher in court. The argument is far more convincing that a court of law would strike down a let's play rather than affirm it.

I'm not a lawyer, but...

Deconstructing Let’s Play, Copyright, and the YouTube Content ID Claim System: A Legal Perspective

Okay, now what is Let’s Play, legally speaking?

From a legal perspective a Let’s Play video would almost certainly constitute a derivative work under domestic and international copyright law. A derivative work, for the uninitiated, is a work that is based upon one or more pre-existing copyrightable works that recasts, transforms, or is an adaptation of those works. Examples would include cinematic adaptations like Twilight, The Hunger Games, and Ender’s Game that are based on best-selling novels, as well as things like translations, musical arrangements (which are adaptations of an original score), editorial revisions… Basically anything that adds new, creative, and original elements to the underlying work regardless of whether those new elements are separable from the underlying works.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Ok even if it's a derivative work does someone have the rights to use the copyrighted material they used in the let's play to create it if the copyright holder says no?

Now we get into fair use and a strong argument can be made that a typical let's play is not fair use. Now if I play 5 minutes of your game and do commentary and that 5 minutes is all I use then that has a stronger case to be considered fair use. If I play your entire game and do commentary over it that has a much weaker chance to be fair use.

If what you are doing isn't fair use then you need the copyright holders permission to use their content to create yours.