States Are Lining Up to Outlaw Lab-Grown Meat

Daps
lab grown mean doesn't contain any growth hormones or antibiotics.

https://thehumaneleague.org/our-mission

WHAT IS LAB-GROWN MEAT, AND HOW IS CULTURED MEAT MADE?​

This is helpful, but it definitely focuses on the how it avoids a lot if the risks associates with farmed meat. However, it doesn’t talk about any potential risks of lab grown mean independent of farmed meat. What specifically caught my eye was the process of introducing the cells to bioreactors and a nutrient bath.

I’m not very familiar with bioreactors and how they work so I did some quick googling and did find that there are SOME risks relates to contamination issues and the chemicals used. I’d want them to dive more into how to avoid those risks. Now all in all, it still may be a net positive, but I’d want to see it researched and in writing first.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
This is helpful, but it definitely focuses on the how it avoids a lot if the risks associates with farmed meat. However, it doesn’t talk about any potential risks of lab grown mean independent of farmed meat. What specifically caught my eye was the process of introducing the cells to bioreactors and a nutrient bath.

I’m not very familiar with bioreactors and how they work so I did some quick googling and did find that there are SOME risks relates to contamination issues and the chemicals used. I’d want them to dive more into how to avoid those risks. Now all in all, it still may be a net positive, but I’d want to see it researched and in writing first.

bioreactors is a decades old tech that keeps improving and nutrient baths help the cells grow like they would in a live animal.

A bioreactor refers to any manufactured device or system that supports a biologically active environment.[1] In one case, a bioreactor is a vessel in which a chemical process is carried out which involves organisms or biochemically active substances derived from such organisms. This process can either be aerobic or anaerobic. These bioreactors are commonly cylindrical, ranging in size from litres to cubic metres, and are often made of stainless steel.[citation needed] It may also refer to a device or system designed to grow cells or tissues in the context of cell culture.[2] These devices are being developed for use in tissue engineering or biochemical/bioprocess engineering.[citation needed]

General structure of a continuous stirred-tank type bioreactor

On the basis of mode of operation, a bioreactor may be classified as batch, fed batch or continuous (e.g. a continuous stirred-tank reactor model). An example of a continuous bioreactor is the chemostat.[citation needed]

Organisms or biochemically active substances growing in bioreactors may be submerged in liquid medium or may be anchored to the surface of a solid medium. Submerged cultures may be suspended or immobilized. Suspension bioreactors may support a wider variety of organisms, since special attachment surfaces are not needed, and can operate at a much larger scale than immobilized cultures. However, in a continuously operated process the organisms will be removed from the reactor with the effluent. Immobilization is a general term describing a wide variety of methods for cell or particle attachment or entrapment.[3] It can be applied to basically all types of biocatalysis including enzymes, cellular organelles, animal and plant cells and organs.[4][5] Immobilization is useful for continuously operated processes, since the organisms will not be removed with the reactor effluent, but is limited in scale because the microbes are only present on the surfaces of the vessel.

Large scale immobilized cell bioreactors are:

an old article:
JUNE 1, 2011

snippet:
Cost is another barrier. The culture used to grow stem cells of any kind is very expensive. With currently available media, it might cost $50,000 to produce a pound of meat, according to Roelen, and the most efficient nutrient bath is derived from fetal calf or horse serum taken from slaughtered animals. In recent years scientists have developed their own recipes for “chemically defined media” that include no animal products. By using recombinant-DNA technology, they have also been able to get plant cells to produce animal proteins that could be used to grow the meat. But both these types of media are, for now, prohibitively expensive. An algae-based medium may eventually work best because algae can produce the proteins and amino acids necessary to sustain cell life, but that, too, is costly—at least for now.

Daps
bioreactors is a decades old tech that keeps improving and nutrient baths help the cells grow like they would in a live animal.

A bioreactor refers to any manufactured device or system that supports a biologically active environment.[1] In one case, a bioreactor is a vessel in which a chemical process is carried out which involves organisms or biochemically active substances derived from such organisms. This process can either be aerobic or anaerobic. These bioreactors are commonly cylindrical, ranging in size from litres to cubic metres, and are often made of stainless steel.[citation needed] It may also refer to a device or system designed to grow cells or tissues in the context of cell culture.[2] These devices are being developed for use in tissue engineering or biochemical/bioprocess engineering.[citation needed]

General structure of a continuous stirred-tank type bioreactor

On the basis of mode of operation, a bioreactor may be classified as batch, fed batch or continuous (e.g. a continuous stirred-tank reactor model). An example of a continuous bioreactor is the chemostat.[citation needed]

Organisms or biochemically active substances growing in bioreactors may be submerged in liquid medium or may be anchored to the surface of a solid medium. Submerged cultures may be suspended or immobilized. Suspension bioreactors may support a wider variety of organisms, since special attachment surfaces are not needed, and can operate at a much larger scale than immobilized cultures. However, in a continuously operated process the organisms will be removed from the reactor with the effluent. Immobilization is a general term describing a wide variety of methods for cell or particle attachment or entrapment.[3] It can be applied to basically all types of biocatalysis including enzymes, cellular organelles, animal and plant cells and organs.[4][5] Immobilization is useful for continuously operated processes, since the organisms will not be removed with the reactor effluent, but is limited in scale because the microbes are only present on the surfaces of the vessel.

Large scale immobilized cell bioreactors are:

an old article:
JUNE 1, 2011

snippet:
Cost is another barrier. The culture used to grow stem cells of any kind is very expensive. With currently available media, it might cost $50,000 to produce a pound of meat, according to Roelen, and the most efficient nutrient bath is derived from fetal calf or horse serum taken from slaughtered animals. In recent years scientists have developed their own recipes for “chemically defined media” that include no animal products. By using recombinant-DNA technology, they have also been able to get plant cells to produce animal proteins that could be used to grow the meat. But both these types of media are, for now, prohibitively expensive. An algae-based medium may eventually work best because algae can produce the proteins and amino acids necessary to sustain cell life, but that, too, is costly—at least for now.
I already looked up what a bioreactor is and already read much of the same information you posted. I was just saying that not knowing prompted me to look for more details because it was stated in a way that assumes we know how it works and the implications.

Thus, when I looked it up there were risks mentioned related to contamination and the safety of the chemicals used in the process of creating the meat. Those are things I’d like to see addressed more clearly.