Starting point

Daps
Haha yeah that was kind of ambiguous... I guess I'm just wondering whether I should be more focused on losing the weight? Like, 165 is over my BMI so is it super unhealthy?

As opposed to what? Do you have any particular fitness/weight goal you are trying to reach?

devizelle

Pro
Daps
Reppin
MOCO awl day
As opposed to what? Do you have any particular fitness/weight goal you are trying to reach?

Nope, not really. I'm just wondering if I should make a weight goal considering how much I weigh lol. Like, I'm technically overweight, but I don't look it and I'm fine with my body so should I worry about the number on the scale or no?

Here's another (more clear) question: what are some other measures of fitness besides weight? Is it possible for me to be healthy at my weight?

Sorry for being so vague! And thanks for all of your responses

Rusty Kuntz

It be ya own peoples, huh?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself. fukk 12(1)!
Nope, not really. I'm just wondering if I should make a weight goal considering how much I weigh lol. Like, I'm technically overweight, but I don't look it and I'm fine with my body so should I worry about the number on the scale or no?

Here's another (more clear) question: what are some other measures of fitness besides weight? Is it possible for me to be healthy at my weight?

Sorry for being so vague! And thanks for all of your responses
It's possible to be healthy at that weight, but you may want to get your body fat measured (by a professional); that will give you a general sense of fitness/body composition... 165 lbs can look different on the same frame depending on whether that weight is muscle or fat. I probably weigh around 140-145 now (at 5'9")... most people think I weigh less, because I'm a fairly muscular person.

If you don't have a weight-loss goal in mind, focus on being healthy. I don't really have any fitness goals either; I basically work out to maintain. I get my body fat % checked about every 3 months or so just to see where I'm at and to make sure I don't get too low.

devizelle

Pro
Daps
Reppin
MOCO awl day
It's possible to be healthy at that weight, but you may want to get your body fat measured (by a professional); that will give you a general sense of fitness/body composition... 165 lbs can look different on the same frame depending on whether that weight is muscle or fat. I probably weigh around 140-145 now (at 5'9")... most people think I weigh less, because I'm a fairly muscular person.

If you don't have a weight-loss goal in mind, focus on being healthy. I don't really have any fitness goals either; I basically work out to maintain. I get my body fat % checked about every 3 months or so just to see where I'm at and to make sure I don't get too low.

Wow thanks! At the risk of sounding stupid, I have to ask... where can I get my body fat measured?

Rusty Kuntz

It be ya own peoples, huh?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself. fukk 12(1)!
Wow thanks! At the risk of sounding stupid, I have to ask... where can I get my body fat measured?
Most gyms offer it (you can hire a personal trainer for a session or two and they generally will measure you BF% to get an idea of where you are, physically); some gyms even offer it for free. You can also use a Bod Pod (you would have to find some kind of health/fitness center that has this; it's is a machine you get in that measures body fat/muscle mass). You can get a dexa scan, but that shyt is expensive and I believe a doctor has to order it for you. You can always just buy a pair of calipers and do it yourself, but I wouldn't recommend that (they can be highly inaccurate).

devizelle

Pro
Daps
Reppin
MOCO awl day
Most gyms offer it (you can hire a personal trainer for a session or two and they generally will measure you BF% to get an idea of where you are, physically); some gyms even offer it for free. You can also use a Bod Pod (you would have to find some kind of health/fitness center that has this; it's is a machine you get in that measures body fat/muscle mass). You can get a dexa scan, but that shyt is expensive and I believe a doctor has to order it for you. You can always just buy a pair of calipers and do it yourself, but I wouldn't recommend that (they can be highly inaccurate).

Thank you! :hula:

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
sidenote to @devizelle

you can buy calipers for around 5 dollars yourself and do 3point or 7point tests(easier if you have someone help you)

but the big thing to realize is the actual reading is usually off(by alot)

BUT, the change in bodyfat reading is actually beneficial. because despite it being off the change in bodyfat reading is tangible and will atleast let you know that you are losing

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/AccuMeasure-MyoTape-AM-3000-Fitness-Personal/dp/B002VAPHXW]Amazon.com: AccuMeasure MyoTape MT05 and AM-3000 Fitness 3000 Personal Body Fat Tester Kit: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

this is what i copped and still use today, this one comes with measuring tape which i believe is actually even better than calipers(for obvious reasons, provided you dont cheat and suck in etc it always is correct)

i wouldnt check but once a month though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Constantine

Et in Arcadia ego...
Daps
Reppin
The "BUCKEYE" Nation
...:mjpls:...
Ib9Gb6c.jpg

NonPareil

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
2v152lf.jpg

Dropping weight, adding strengfff.

Currently at 5' 9" 180. I want to be at/around 165 while still making gains by my birthday in July.

Doable?