Starfield is coming to PlayStation (XboxEra); Phil Spencer Responds

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
yeah you right, still a loss all around for M$
You sure about that? The biggest company in gaming doesn't even make physical hardware. If anything them ultimately abandoning the hardware focused approach unlocks the value of their games and makes the shareholders more money. They could easily be the biggest game publisher in the industry putting all their games everywhere and going into mobile.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You sure about that? The biggest company in gaming doesn't even make physical hardware. If anything them ultimately abandoning the hardware focused approach unlocks the value of their games and makes the shareholders more money. They could easily be the biggest game publisher in the industry putting all their games everywhere and going into mobile.

Thats not what you said a couple months ago though :mjgrin:

I doubt it. They’re still in the middle of acquisitions that will take some time to show fruit. Their hardware will pick up when their studios from these acquisitions start releasing games more frequently.

People asked the same question of Nintendo after the Wii U flopped. I'm not really sure why anyone would want to see a hardware maker exit the market.

If Game Pass as a business model ultimately fails I don't think Microsoft will be sticking around in gaming. They'll probably sell Xbox and their studios off to another company. There are very few companies that could afford that though. You're talking like Google, Apple, Amazon level companies. Of all of those Amazon would seem most likely to take a stab at it. Amazon would be unlikely to play nice with companies like Sony and Nintendo though. I bet they abandon all those deals Microsoft put in place the moment they could.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Thats not what you said a couple months ago though :mjgrin:

I still believe all of this is an attempt to get people to Game Pass and collect monthly subscription revenue from them like they do in most of their other business avenues. I've also said Microsoft's ultimate objective is to leave dedicated hardware behind and put their subscription service on anything with a screen and internet access.

They have been unable to grow Game Pass because they've been unable to sell meaningful amounts of hardware and most of their subs come from that.

Microsoft is a subscription company.

Redguard

Hoonding
Daps
Reppin
Hammerfell
I still believe all of this is an attempt to get people to Game Pass and collect monthly subscription revenue from them like they do in most of their other business avenues. I've also said Microsoft's ultimate objective is to leave dedicated hardware behind and put their subscription service on anything with a screen and internet access.

They have been unable to grow Game Pass because they've been unable to sell meaningful amounts of hardware and most of their subs come from that.

Microsoft is a subscription company.

Microsoft is going to have to put Game Pass on all Smart TVs for this plan to work. They will also have to improve the Xbox mobile app to make it worthwhile for people to use.