Star Wars: The Force Awakens (OFFICIAL THREAD)

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
He's not a garbage man.

It's just that they actually reference him doing sanitation work, in the film.

My assumption? The First Order is a military operation, and just like real military life, soldiers often have to do that type of grunt work.

Still...you JUST.CAN.NOT make that kind of reference towards a black character in a movie like this. I don't care if the roles were written with race in mind or not, SOMEBODY has to be more responsible at some point.

Rey also apparently calls him a thief at one point.

Somebody at Lucasfilm should have said something.

And if this seems petty, remember, they are completely happy to market this as a girl-power film. AND I'M NOT MAD AT THAT. It just gripes me that they do everything to appease women, and expect to be applauded for being forward-thinking, when the black character is just another comic relief type who has no real purpose to the plot outside of being a glorified weed-carrier.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's not a garbage man.

My assumption? The First Order is a military operation, and just like real military life, soldiers often have to do that type of grunt work.

Still...you JUST.CAN.NOT make that kind of reference towards a black character in a movie like this. I don't care if the roles were written with race in mind or not, SOMEBODY has to be more responsible at some point.

And if this seems petty, remember, they are completely happy to market this as a girl-power film. AND I'M NOT MAD AT THAT. It just gripes me that they do everything to appease women, and expect to be applauded for being forward-thinking, when the black character is just another comic relief type who has no real purpose to the plot outside of being a glorified weed-carrier.
Ok we get it you think Finn is step and fetchit or something and nothing is gonna change your mind

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
Ok we get it you think Finn is step and fetchit or something and nothing is gonna change your mind
This thread becomes totally different when you get that
200_s.gif
action going. These fools worry like Republicans do about a middle class black family moving into the neighborhood.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
He's not a garbage man.

This has to be one of the silliest things i've ever read, holy shyt.

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
Just finished The Clone Wars again, brehs.

Aside from The Empire Strikes Back, Clone Wars is the best Star Wars related media :mjcry:

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
Exactly People keep ignoring that fact about Luke acting like he was John wick in ANH or something . Or didn't get washed in ESB and lose a hand . It's like since Finn isn't batman with prep time he's a c00n

You keep saying that, but it's not the case.

There's a big different from being Batman...and "c00n" (I kinda dislike that you think all these critiques are exclusive to racial issues. Some of them are, but remember that people were looking forward to the character for other reasons as well).

Regardless, he's not a "stepin-fetchit", but he is *clearly* another black character with major caveats

Man they only gonna post the stuff hating on Finn. @boxcutta @Ziggiy hiw come you aren't talking about the positive reviews of Finn characters from other places online ,

I'm not seeing many.

Every forum I've looked at has been concerned about his characterization. Peep that thread I posted on the last page. It's elsewhere as well. Reddit. The Boston Globe review. Twitter people last night.

Most are down on Finn right now. He doesn't make an impact here. Everyone glowing over Rey.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
Movie review: The Force is back, baby
B+

Quibbles? Sure, a few. Finn isn’t really fleshed out, and Poe is re-introduced with a sudden flimsy explanation. And with its basic premise of family dissonance, as well as so many other familiar touchstones, some may think the film too similar to the original.

But let’s face it; the original “Star Wars” was great. There are way worse role models. Simply put, “The Force Awakens” makes you feel good about “Star Wars” again.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
I feel like he kinda gave some spoilers in that review, but :whew: I'll take a B+
I personally wouldn't click on anything, unless it specifically states non-spoiler. I put the text in the box because I wanted to be safe.

But everyone who doesn't want spoilers, should act smart around this time, they're gonna be pouring in within an hour or so.

Rotten Tomato - Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Last edited:

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
take it as a grain of salt since I'll probably won't watch until the 720p is out, this is the first movie in a trilogy with multiple characters of course most of em won't be flesh out until the end, it's one thing to want to see a strong black character but wait until you see the final product before y'all start to get you're panties in a bunch :snoop: y'all sounding like the white Star Wars nerds everyone despise now

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I personally wouldn't click on anything, unless it specifically states non-spoiler. I put the text in the box because I wanted to be safe.

But everyone who doesn't want spoilers, should act smart around this time, they're gonna be pouring in within an hour or so.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Word. :ehh: the wait for this Jedi council review tho :why: