Star Wars Outlaws (2024)

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Between AVATAR and Star Wars you just know Disney Is running their pockets too :sadcam:
It's why licensed IP are a major risk. Insomniac spiderman made it look easy, but people like to forget that most licensed IPs don't meet expecations and end up costing studios a lot of money due to licensing fees. I assume license costs back then wasn't as high as they are today. Studios were able to handle lukewarm responses to those games, but that can't really happen today. We all saw what happened to Midnight Sun.

Ubisoft should be fine, but the profit margin for these games aren't are crazy due to licensing fees and higher targets. Personally, I think Disney should lower their fees because you're going to get less risks and studios willing to take on their IPs. So far we've only had the major publishers touching their games, but it feels like missing out on quality due to high fees

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It's why licensed IP are a major risk. Insomniac spiderman made it look easy, but people like to forget that most licensed IPs don't meet expecations and end up costing studios a lot of money due to licensing fees. I assume license costs back then wasn't as high as they are today. Studios were able to handle lukewarm responses to those games, but that can't really happen today. We all saw what happened to Midnight Sun.

Ubisoft should be fine, but the profit margin for these games aren't are crazy due to licensing fees and higher targets. Personally, I think Disney should lower their fees because you're going to get less risks and studios willing to take on their IPs. So far we've only had the major publishers touching their games, but it feels like missing out on quality due to high fees
Thats why it annoys me when people say “it’s X it prints money” having a game of a popular IP alone ain’t always enough to make a hit game, there are far more failures than successes especially now when they aren’t just developed in 6 months to tie into movies for a quick cash grab.

The more disney gives out their popular IP and receives bad scores and sales the value for licensing them will start to drop.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Thats why it annoys me when people say “it’s X it prints money” having a game of a popular IP alone ain’t always enough to make a hit game, there are far more failures than successes especially now when they aren’t just developed in 6 months to tie into movies for a quick cash grab.

The more disney gives out their popular IP and receives bad scores and sales the value for licensing them will start to drop.
Yeah, I think Insomniac Spiderman and some of the EA stuff like fallen order and battlefront are the outliers. Say what you want about Battlefront but the game sold pretty well tbh. Disney better hope that Indiana Jones and Blade deliver because they'll run into the risk of only 2 devs people are milling to purchase licensed games from. I know you can mention Kingdom Hearts, but those games are released like every 7 years.

Disney is playing a dangerous game with high licensing fee because you're going to get less quality because big publishers are risk averse. If I were WB I would be offering favourable licensing deals to recover. They have worthwhile IPs, but would be wise to attach IPs to quality devs and lower the fees

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Yeah, I think Insomniac Spiderman and some of the EA stuff like fallen order and battlefront are the outliers. Say what you want about Battlefront but the game sold pretty well tbh. Disney better hope that Indiana Jones and Blade deliver because they'll run into the risk of only 2 devs people are milling to purchase licensed games from. I know you can mention Kingdom Hearts, but those games are released like every 7 years.

Disney is playing a dangerous game with high licensing fee because you're going to get less quality because big publishers are risk averse. If I were WB I would be offering favourable licensing deals to recover. They have worthwhile IPs, but would be wise to attach IPs to quality devs and lower the fees

Thats why EA already cancelled one of their Star Wars games, not worth it for them anymore

Blade i expect to do well, i think there’s enough people wanting a new blade game/movie to draw interest and Arkane Lyon is a really good studio that just never puts out appealing IP to casual gamers.

Indiana Jones it’s clear they made a mistake with that one since they are now porting it to ps5 in less than 4 months.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Ubisoft+ allows you to play games day 1. I know the service is on Xbox and PC, but unsure if its on playstation

Really.

ODqCyqh.jpeg

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...

But I seeing all kinds of Marvel card games and shyt

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Looking like this'll be a "Wait for Black Friday" Ubisoft special, which is unfortunate.

What seems the most frustrating, at least from what I've seen so far, is that the character movement looks about as stiff as it does in the Division series. It kind've works for those games because I think people have an accepted level of movement jank in cover shooters in general, let alone third person Tom Clancy games/tactical cover shooters.

I was hoping maybe Massive was overhauling locomotion for the game since this was going to be something slightly different, but that looks like that ain't happening. That said, Massive is great at overhauling a game, so if the game sells well enough, I can see Ubisoft giving them time to work this one over a bit.