Standing overhead presses should be the standard for strength, not bench

Daps
What I meant was I don't know about the standing overhead press being the standard.
I could argue that the barbell squat should be the standard.

Nah you can't argue that, you can have a weak upper body and still squat some weight.

I explained all of this shyt in the first post, read before you comment

I mean can't none of us say what it should be,because its prolly guys who can do OHP for good numbers and can't do 5 pull ups.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I mean can't none of us say what it should be,because its prolly guys who can do OHP for good numbers and can't do 5 pull ups.
I believe in having a balanced body, hams and quads, biceps and triceps, pecs and lats, deltoids, traps, calves, abs.
I really don't like the idea of building one muscle group over another just for looks, or having a top heavy body with no lower body strength.

Daps
I believe in having a balanced body, hams and quads, biceps and triceps, pecs and lats, deltoids, traps, calves, abs.
I really don't like the idea of building one muscle group over another just for looks, or having a top heavy body with no lower body strength.

I know,same here,but no one knows which exercise is best for showing strength

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
No it shouldn't it should be deadlifts or squats

Nah...once again you can have a weak upper body and have decent squat/dead numbers.

Just getting the weight off the ground and setting yourself in position with the weight to press standing takes more strength than a dead lift or a squat.

Doesn't have nothing to do with anything

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

This is what I'm talking about. If you don't have lower body strength you can't pick the weight up and you need upper to get it in the air

A full body strength exercise. If you have done it then you know what I'm talking about, if you haven't then don't comment

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

This is what I'm talking about. If you don't have lower body strength you can't pick the weight up and you need upper to get it in the air
A full body strength exercise. If you have done it then you know what I'm talking about, if you haven't then don't comment

My current OHP starting with a clean from the floor is one rep at 135 lbs.
I'll usually do military press from a power rack and start the barbell at the shoulder height. I have a major leg workout weekly so I don't get anything extra from pulling 135 lbs. from the floor.

Full body strength is to pull from the floor and get it to the shoulders, and then press it, and then bring it back down to the floor as one repetition. That dude just did one clean. He was strong and able to pump out a bunch of presses though.
I

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I know,same here,but no one knows which exercise is best for showing strength
This dude has less triceps than biceps. It's a joke.
Abercrombie-Fitch-2016-Summer-Mens-Fashions-001-800x800.jpg

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
My current OHP starting with a clean from the floor is one rep at 135 lbs.
I'll usually do military press from a power rack and start the barbell at the shoulder height. I have a major leg workout weekly so I don't get anything extra from pulling 135 lbs. from the floor.

Full body strength is to pull from the floor and get it to the shoulders, and then press it, and then bring it back down to the floor as one repetition. That dude just did one clean. He was strong and able to pump out a bunch of presses though.
I

Okay...?

Like the thread says in the title, this >>>> bench as a indicator of full body strength.

Only thing I'd change is you'd have to set yourself first before the counter starts like straight outta strongman. You can't use momentum

Daps
Nah...once again you can have a weak upper body and have decent squat/dead numbers.

Just getting the weight off the ground and setting yourself in position with the weight to press standing takes more strength than a dead lift or a squat.

Doesn't have nothing to do with anything

Yea it does,i dun boxed and wrestled with cats in the joint who was weight room strong but had no type of functional strength at all,the strongest nikkas was cats who was doing both calisthenics and weights.OHP,deadlift,squats or whatever other weight room lift don't mean shyt if you ain't got functional strength

Daps

I do this exercise as well,but it ain't shyt,weights is all about technique,strength and momentum,i don't care if a cat can ohp 400 pounds if he ain't got no wind or functional strength he deadmeat.

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Yea it does,i dun boxed and wrestled with cats in the joint who was weight room strong but had no type of functional strength at all,the strongest nikkas was cats who was doing both calisthenics and weights.OHP,deadlift,squats or whatever other weight room lift don't mean shyt if you ain't got functional strength

Okay, that has nothing to with what I'm talkin about. That's an entirely different topic and on that note none of that shyt you mentioned is functional strength anyway but like I said that's an different subject altogether

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I do this exercise as well,but it ain't shyt,weights is all about technique,strength and momentum,i don't care if a cat can ohp 400 pounds if he ain't got no wind or functional strength he deadmeat.

What the fukk does this have to do with anything :aicmon:

Major organizations and people in general use one weighted lift to judge strength, that's bench. I'm saying this should be the lift instead of bench not any of that other shyt you're talking about.

They're only going to use one lift as the standard, this is what it should be

Daps
Okay, that has nothing to with what I'm talkin about. That's an entirely different topic and on that note none of that shyt you mentioned is functional strength anyway but like I said that's an different subject altogether

Yes it does OHP ain't shyt,I'd rather have a strong squat than a strong OHP,and if rather be able to knock out 30 pull ups straight than having a strong OHP,to each is own,but make the thread lets put some footage up and cut all the talking

Daps
What the fukk does this have to do with anything :aicmon:

Major organizations and people in general use one weighted lift to judge strength, that's bench. I'm saying this should be the lift instead of bench not any of that other shyt you're talking about.

They're only going to use one lift as the standard, this is what it should be

Like I said cut all the talking make the thread post your video and lets get busy,you talk alot,
But I sure didn't see you in the pull up thread with a video posted

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Like I said cut all the talking make the thread post your video and lets get busy,you talk alot,
But I sure didn't see you in the pull up thread with a video posted

nikka you want to argue about dumb shyt, you talking about shyt that has nothing to do with the thread. Watch tv don't watch me, fukk type of shyt is this

I already told you I don't do calisthenics or body weight exercises like that, just weighted so why the fukk would I be in a pull up thread.