St Lucia to adopt Kweyol language in public schools

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Dope, I'm half Lucian. My grandfather and father speak it fluently. I know the curses and some phrases but I think the younger generation was starting to use it less, but it's heavy in some of the songs.

Like people said my Grandfather can have a full conversation with Haitians.

The island was fought over between the French and British a lot of times. Crazy to think that if France won, I might've been born in Montreal or France.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Caribbean-Countries-Map.gif

I understood everything in those videos. St. Lucian Kreyol is very close to Haitian Kreyol.

Me being the child of Haitian and Jamaican parents. St. Lucia is like heaven to me. An Island where Kreyol and Patios are spoken freely.:blessed:

Lot of bicultural people here, hard to find a Black extended family in some of the major metro areas without members who have married cross culturally.

Speaking of Kreyol and Patois, as you know there were constant revolts in St. Domingue. The largest one was set off by an enslaved African from Jamaica,who had been labeled as a "trouble maker"and shipped to SD. Boukman.
They just uncovered/translated a transcript of his first conversation with the Africans in St. Domingue when he landed. His first words were
Where is the Curry goat?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Dope, I'm half Lucian. My grandfather and father speak it fluently. I know the curses and some phrases but I think the younger generation was starting to use it less, but it's heavy in some of the songs.

Like people said my Grandfather can have a full conversation with Haitians.

The island was fought over between the French and British a lot of times. Crazy to think that if France won, I might've been born in Montreal or France.
What is the other half?

And yeah, the wars and conflicts across Europe played out and spilled over across the Americas.
I had to listen to the lady in the 2nd post video twice to make sure I heard her clearly. She said the island changed flags 14 times. I thought I was misinterpreting her French. Fourteen!

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
What is the other half?

And yeah, the wars and conflicts across Europe played out and spilled over across the Americas.
I had to listen to the lady in the 2nd post video twice to make sure I heard her clearly. She said the island changed flags 14 times. I thought I was misinterpreting her French. Fourteen!

Yea they call it the "Helen of the West Indies after the Helen of Troy because of the constant fighting to acquire it. My Mother's side is from Grenada.

Mega

Superstar
Daps
I understood everything in those videos. St. Lucian Kreyol is very close to Haitian Kreyol.

Me being the child of Haitian and Jamaican parents. St. Lucia is like heaven to me. An Island where Kreyol and Patios are spoken freely.:blessed:

Just booked my ticket.:wow:
I am heading down to St. Lucia on the 26th for my birthday weekend.. :blessed:

Last edited:

Mega

Superstar
Daps
It’s unfortunate that French is viewed as the bummy language in the island. Not going to front I use to think the same would happen to even Haiti at one point when I was younger
You use to think what would happen to Haiti?

Last edited: