Square Enix Doesn’t get enough credit for the Final Fantasy series

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Good thread.

I'm a FF OG. Started my first journey in the streets of Baron when Ice Cube was the world's deadliest rapper and the US remembered how to win a war on some invade Mysidia shyt.

Square's rep in the nineties was obviously legendary. Not too mention they worked fukking hard and earned it. Their influence is Dylan-esque where its in the DNA of everything after it whether its obvious or not.

The thread seems to be more about gameplay mechanics. I can speak through both nostalgia and historical fact that they were innovators ahead of their time. Sometimes it didnt work. Most of the time it did. As much as I enjoy shared universes, the self contained approach gave them the freedom to experiment on a macro scale.

Here's my problem. It could be because I'm relatively a fossil in gamer years. Every FF game was self contained and expontentially evolving but its dichotomy stuck to the key elements that "felt like a Final Fantasy experience.

Some of that was keeping up with the new. Some of it being that it introduced to younger audience. Some of it was losing OG visionaries.

For me, a 36 year old brand loyalty fan, I lost touch with the new generations of innovation. The newer games didnt feel like an FF experience to me anymore. The once cutting edge was sacrificing the essential traditions to try to keep up.

They were no longer the leaders of the pack and like every empire has begun to crumble. There were some growing pains for me with 10 but it still had the FF soul. I had reservations but I loved it and was relieved the torch was in good hands. Seemingly.

11 was another experiment. I couldnt tell you if it was good or bad because I'm not a MMORPG gamer. I respected the fact Square was still adding new things for the franchises. I have regrets with 12 because Im interested in the story but I stopped early because of the battle system. Also 12 only seemed to have onlu a faint FF feel to it. Maybe I should revisit it.

I think that says more about my age than it does anything else. The sequels to the games were mixed to me. They were in a way a betrayal to one of FF's major strengths. I do appreciate and enjoy the fact that the FF7 sequels/spinoffs expand the lore properly if nothing else. I have concerns with how much the remake is going to fukk with the source material. So far so good.

Like many other OGs 13 was the dealbreaker for me. I so wanted to like it. I said fukk the critics and those who tried to talk me out of it. This was Final Fantasy we were talking about.

13 was a perversion of the sacred series that was so near to my heart. You broke my heart, Fredo.

I havent played any FF after that. I read comments and articles about the newer releases out of loyalty and nostalgia. I'd be open to trying one of them if someone was to steer me in the right direction. I try not hate on it grumpy old man style. Eveything after 10 seems like it should been called something different.

But hey, if nothing else I got incredible experiences visiting the universes of mainline 1-10, their sequels, and of course Tactics.

Incredible run.

Not complaining.

Just go play Zodiac Age, 12 is one of the best mainline entries and the QoL additions to the re-release was enough to push it over the edge. Imo its one of most final fantasy ass final fantasy games since IX.

It has a robust and diverse class system, its still strategic and somewhat turn based (pretty much where xenoblade series got its combat design), it has tons of mythological creatures and sub-human species, increasingly strong end-game bosses, a more mature storyline, airships, open world….

The only thing you could possibly say is lacking is the main villain but he’s still better than a lot of FF villains, people just don’t like him because he’s not in direct conflict with the main cast.

91Vi-YhJOAL.jpg

Last edited:

nairdas

I've Destroyed Whole Planets
Daps
Reppin
NULL
FF series isn't as popular as it once was that's why it seems like they don't get the credit they deserve. Back in the day tho nikkas couldn't shut up about the damn series. Had me hyped for X and I had never played any previous ones before that. So think it's just popularity of the series has waned.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think Final Fantasy is still as popular as it’s ever been, i just think other series have outpaced it, particularly western AAA franchises.

Its still the biggest JRPG series by far

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Good thread.

I'm a FF OG. Started my first journey in the streets of Baron when Ice Cube was the world's deadliest rapper and the US remembered how to win a war on some invade Mysidia shyt.

Square's rep in the nineties was obviously legendary. Not too mention they worked fukking hard and earned it. Their influence is Dylan-esque where its in the DNA of everything after it whether its obvious or not.

The thread seems to be more about gameplay mechanics. I can speak through both nostalgia and historical fact that they were innovators ahead of their time. Sometimes it didnt work. Most of the time it did. As much as I enjoy shared universes, the self contained approach gave them the freedom to experiment on a macro scale.

Here's my problem. It could be because I'm relatively a fossil in gamer years. Every FF game was self contained and expontentially evolving but its dichotomy stuck to the key elements that "felt like a Final Fantasy experience.

Some of that was keeping up with the new. Some of it being that it introduced to younger audience. Some of it was losing OG visionaries.

For me, a 36 year old brand loyalty fan, I lost touch with the new generations of innovation. The newer games didnt feel like an FF experience to me anymore. The once cutting edge was sacrificing the essential traditions to try to keep up.

They were no longer the leaders of the pack and like every empire has begun to crumble. There were some growing pains for me with 10 but it still had the FF soul. I had reservations but I loved it and was relieved the torch was in good hands. Seemingly.

11 was another experiment. I couldnt tell you if it was good or bad because I'm not a MMORPG gamer. I respected the fact Square was still adding new things for the franchises. I have regrets with 12 because Im interested in the story but I stopped early because of the battle system. Also 12 only seemed to have onlu a faint FF feel to it. Maybe I should revisit it.

I think that says more about my age than it does anything else. The sequels to the games were mixed to me. They were in a way a betrayal to one of FF's major strengths. I do appreciate and enjoy the fact that the FF7 sequels/spinoffs expand the lore properly if nothing else. I have concerns with how much the remake is going to fukk with the source material. So far so good.

Like many other OGs 13 was the dealbreaker for me. I so wanted to like it. I said fukk the critics and those who tried to talk me out of it. This was Final Fantasy we were talking about.

13 was a perversion of the sacred series that was so near to my heart. You broke my heart, Fredo.

I havent played any FF after that. I read comments and articles about the newer releases out of loyalty and nostalgia. I'd be open to trying one of them if someone was to steer me in the right direction. I try not hate on it grumpy old man style. Eveything after 10 seems like it should been called something different.

But hey, if nothing else I got incredible experiences visiting the universes of mainline 1-10, their sequels, and of course Tactics.

Incredible run.

Not complaining.

I agree with most of this, except I didn't consider 13 a dealbreak and still been heavy into the series enough, but 13 was a mistep, as was 15 a bit as well.

Dope thread.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I actually agree with OP.

Maybe “credit” isn’t the right word? But its DEFINITELY impressive how SE has been able to innovate from game to game with multiple successes within the franchise.

I think maybe we should be saying that the success of the FF franchise and its massive influence shouldn’t be taken for GRANTED. I know people have had their issues with certain games. People seemed to abhor the 13 franchise and i’ve heard middling reviews on 15 but both of those games sold into the millions worldwide and spawned spinoff franchises like films, anime, and merchandise that were all very successful.

Hell look at FF7. They made an entire compilation franchise like what, ten years after the OG and each game sold millions. Now their REMAKING the 20 year old classic and selling it one at a time as a trilogy of games that are GUARANTEED to do blockbuster film numbers. Thats impressive no matter how you want to cut it.

100%!

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Ff13 was better than 15, I always say it’s one of the best in the series 13> 15,10,9,8,2

Ff always had the best storytelling and characters but the problem imo is the game engines they use, the gameplay on their recent games have been jaggy, trash

Babylon live service game that failed, forsaken was not impressive they should have kept that demo, outriders,the latest valkary profile and star ocean????

These are mediocre games

And SE has been milking the ff name remake after remake of the old games, mobile gatcha games and now that are making blockchain games … they have eliminated a lot of the good will they had with their core customers…

They got dragon quest they got nier

This is not the same company that squaresoft was

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
And lemme just say if Final Fantasy 16 doesn’t reach elden ring levels of hype/goty then I consider it a failure