Square Enix Doesn’t get enough credit for the Final Fantasy series

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Street fighter is the definition of iterative. It went from this to this

street-fighter-2-turns-30-years-old-1612640448410.jpg

To this

maxresdefault.jpg

SF is also a competitive series. Usually when they make major changes to these sort of games there's backlash (ex. SFV).

Daps
Squaresoft had something special going for awhile and they deserved the credit in the 90s. Around 2003 is when the quality issues started.

I remember there was one E3 where they showed the trailers for XIII and Versus XIII...and some psp game. All the while FFXII still hadn't been released.

They were also following XI that many people in the US couldn't play do to the lack of gaming PCs at the time and slow internet. X-2 was a weak sequel.

So for me, it went from X (2001) to XIII (2010) which is a long time.

XV looks bad so I skipped. VIIR has given them a solid battle system/game design to build on, though they ruined the original story in my opinion. I do like XIV a lot though, that's been their saving grace.

I'm on the fence given the inconsistency over the years. I want to play XVI, but I've got a Steamdeck and Final Fantasy just isn't a system seller for me anymore. PC or bust.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Top 3 gaming company to me: Nintendo, Squaresoft, Capcom.

I guess the uniqueness is why I really loved FFII (FFIV most people know it as) because the base version made it an entire story with characters dropping in and out of your story. You simply can't pick and choose who to be in your party. I thought that was great fo the story.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
O
Top 3 gaming company to me: Nintendo, Squaresoft, Capcom.

I guess the uniqueness is why I really loved FFII (FFIV most people know it as) because the base version made it an entire story with characters dropping in and out of your story. You simply can't pick and choose who to be in your party. I thought that was great fo the story.

I got FFIV as a hand me down back in the day when i first got my SNES. I had absolutely no clue wtf i was doing the first 12 times i played it, i think i pretty much bushed it every single time at the mist dragon. Then I think one day I played it again and it just clicked and it was life changing. I’ve followed FF ever since…which made me like JRPGs, which made me like single player-adventure games.

Kain is still one of my favorite FF characters.

tumblr_p4d6ixjnMw1tb5j2jo2_500.gif

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
True.

Each FF game is vastly different from one another. They're not just one big continued series with the same cast. Similar to the Tales of series which does the change up the formula thing each game.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
The dozens of FF7 spinoffs sort of invalidates this take, but i don't mind because i love that property.
but thats just a more recent pivot, growing up each new FF game was its own entity.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The dozens of FF7 spinoffs sort of invalidates this take, but i don't mind because i love that property.
but thats just a more recent pivot, growing up each new FF game was its own entity.

Yeah, but even then FF7 spinoffs were completely different genres and even the remake is a different story, they could have played it way safer and they didn’t.

There are square enix games of different franchises that have more in common than one final fantasy game to another.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They get too much credit. The series has been selling based off that for over a decade. The last universally liked new game in the series was Final Fantasy X. I won't comment on VII Remake because that's not a new game but XII, XIII, and XV were all looked at very mixed and the last two were kinda shat on. Not into MMOs so no comment on XI or XIV.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They get too much credit. The series has been selling based off that for over a decade. The last universally liked new game in the series was Final Fantasy X. I won't comment on VII Remake because that's not a new game but XII, XIII, and XV were all looked at very mixed and the last two were kinda shat on. Not into MMOs so no comment on XI or XIV.

This is a lie, 12 got high scores, back in the day Famitsu gave it a perfect score also.

Zodiac Age came out and also crushed buildings, there was a lot of excitement for that release. One of the best remasters square enix ever put out.

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
Need some black people in 16, every trailer shows all white unfortunately. That game looks fire nonetheless.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I was a big fan of the series in the 90s and early 00s but stopped playing after FFX back in like... 2002 or something.

Once i could start playing as black protagonists in epic story-driven campaigns like GTA: San Andreas and (more commonly) create custom black protagonists in big rpg-esque fantasy/sci-fi epics like Fallout, Obsidian, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, etc... i found myself caring as much for FF as FF did with having black folks in their stories.

The only FF i've played since LeBron was drafted to the league is FF7:Remake.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I was a big fan of the series in the 90s and early 00s but stopped playing after FFX back in like... 2002 or something.

Once i could start playing as black protagonists in epic story-driven campaigns like GTA: San Andreas and (more commonly) create custom black protagonists in big rpg-esque fantasy/sci-fi epics like Fallout, Obsidian, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, etc... i found myself caring as much for FF as FF did with having black folks in their stories.

The only FF i've played since LeBron was drafted to the league is FF7:Remake.

ms2wNsR.gif