Square Enix Doesn’t get enough credit for the Final Fantasy series

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
This is a lie, 12 got high scores, back in the day Famitsu gave it a perfect score also.

Zodiac Age came out and also crushed buildings, there was a lot of excitement for that release. One of the best remasters square enix ever put out.
That was reviewed in a different era where most AAA games got high scores. The reception to it was somewhat mixed. I should know because I thought the game was solid and defended it from people but it marked the beginning of a decline it’s arguable they still haven’t recovered from. There were many that didn’t care for Vaan, and the fake MMO battle system.

I said universally loved. IV is, VI is VII is. IX almost is but got some criticism from some fans. X is. Outside that either the games were early as hell and not commented on as much, were MMOs or had some level of mixed reception.

Games like VIII which I liked and it reviewed well but it’s talked about very mixed and heavily criticized. That’s what I mean by mixed reception.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town

It's like it finally dawned to SquareEnix what i was speaking of here:

Once i could start playing as black protagonists in epic story-driven campaigns like GTA: San Andreas and (more commonly) create custom black protagonists in big rpg-esque fantasy/sci-fi epics like Fallout, Obsidian, Mass Effect, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Dark Souls, etc... i found myself caring as much for FF as FF did with having black folks in their stories.

And they realized to reach a larger global market maybe not every franchise mc has to be some boy band cac-looking asian.

I hope they do a good enough job with Frey (with good reception) that she'll get a similar run as Aloy

Kaydigi

Akatsuki
Supporter
Daps
It's like it finally dawned to SquareEnix what i was speaking of here:

And they realized to reach a larger global market maybe not every franchise mc has to be some boy band cac-looking asian.

I hope they do a good enough job with Frey (with good reception) that she'll get a similar run as Aloy

I still think that first reveal did a lot of damage to the game . Everything I’ve seen since that looks good though.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I still can't believe you all think sf is the same but FF is different

There's a reason that some people only play sf2, 3, 4, 5, alpha, or ex series.

Yeah ken Ryu and Chun LI and friends might be in all the games and have some of the same moves. But mechanically all those games play super different.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I still can't believe you all think sf is the same but FF is different

There's a reason that some people only play sf2, 3, 4, 5, alpha, or ex series.

Yeah ken Ryu and Chun LI and friends might be in all the games and have some of the same moves. But mechanically all those games play super different.

But its still street fighter at the end of the day, you know all the exact moves and almost the same combos from game to game. You know what characters are gonna be in it, you know what their stories are gonna be like, you know the modes its gonna have, etc.

Each Final Fantasy game is a new IP in all but name and some key iconography

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Need some black people in 16, every trailer shows all white unfortunately. That game looks fire nonetheless.
Their track record on black characters is a bit cringey,
d6qcj5y-fc612084-4404-42b1-84fb-2f0fb2d2d1f8.gif

the other one i'm familiar with was based on Mr T's mannerisms Barrett.

might need to hire some black writers before putting too many brehs in their games.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Sazh is widely considered the best character in the main party outside of Fang. Didn’t find him that upsetting. He was obviously on the side of comic relief and his mannerisms were a bit off but he was the best of one of the worst parties in JRPG history.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I actually agree with OP.

Maybe “credit” isn’t the right word? But its DEFINITELY impressive how SE has been able to innovate from game to game with multiple successes within the franchise.

I think maybe we should be saying that the success of the FF franchise and its massive influence shouldn’t be taken for GRANTED. I know people have had their issues with certain games. People seemed to abhor the 13 franchise and i’ve heard middling reviews on 15 but both of those games sold into the millions worldwide and spawned spinoff franchises like films, anime, and merchandise that were all very successful.

Hell look at FF7. They made an entire compilation franchise like what, ten years after the OG and each game sold millions. Now their REMAKING the 20 year old classic and selling it one at a time as a trilogy of games that are GUARANTEED to do blockbuster film numbers. Thats impressive no matter how you want to cut it.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
OP is right, they could’ve easily stuck to a formula until they produced a dud and then began to tweak it to perfection. Instead, they took risk. I’ll never hate a company for not playing scared.

I will hate a company for not giving people what they want. When are we getting the second part to 7? Am I the only one hoping for a 6 (u.s. 3) remake? If I can’t get a remake make a fukking sequal to 6.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
13 was crap and 15 was mid, don't care about the MMO ones, they have a lot to prove with 16 in my eyes.

BulletProof

Just a B@stard Living in a Suit
Daps
Reppin
Neck ties and boxing gloves.
Good thread.

I'm a FF OG. Started my first journey in the streets of Baron when Ice Cube was the world's deadliest rapper and the US remembered how to win a war on some invade Mysidia shyt.

Square's rep in the nineties was obviously legendary. Not too mention they worked fukking hard and earned it. Their influence is Dylan-esque where its in the DNA of everything after it whether its obvious or not.

The thread seems to be more about gameplay mechanics. I can speak through both nostalgia and historical fact that they were innovators ahead of their time. Sometimes it didnt work. Most of the time it did. As much as I enjoy shared universes, the self contained approach gave them the freedom to experiment on a macro scale.

Here's my problem. It could be because I'm relatively a fossil in gamer years. Every FF game was self contained and expontentially evolving but its dichotomy stuck to the key elements that "felt like a Final Fantasy experience.

Some of that was keeping up with the new. Some of it being that it introduced to younger audience. Some of it was losing OG visionaries.

For me, a 36 year old brand loyalty fan, I lost touch with the new generations of innovation. The newer games didnt feel like an FF experience to me anymore. The once cutting edge was sacrificing the essential traditions to try to keep up.

They were no longer the leaders of the pack and like every empire has begun to crumble. There were some growing pains for me with 10 but it still had the FF soul. I had reservations but I loved it and was relieved the torch was in good hands. Seemingly.

11 was another experiment. I couldnt tell you if it was good or bad because I'm not a MMORPG gamer. I respected the fact Square was still adding new things for the franchises. I have regrets with 12 because Im interested in the story but I stopped early because of the battle system. Also 12 only seemed to have onlu a faint FF feel to it. Maybe I should revisit it.

I think that says more about my age than it does anything else. The sequels to the games were mixed to me. They were in a way a betrayal to one of FF's major strengths. I do appreciate and enjoy the fact that the FF7 sequels/spinoffs expand the lore properly if nothing else. I have concerns with how much the remake is going to fukk with the source material. So far so good.

Like many other OGs 13 was the dealbreaker for me. I so wanted to like it. I said fukk the critics and those who tried to talk me out of it. This was Final Fantasy we were talking about.

13 was a perversion of the sacred series that was so near to my heart. You broke my heart, Fredo.

I havent played any FF after that. I read comments and articles about the newer releases out of loyalty and nostalgia. I'd be open to trying one of them if someone was to steer me in the right direction. I try not hate on it grumpy old man style. Eveything after 10 seems like it should been called something different.

But hey, if nothing else I got incredible experiences visiting the universes of mainline 1-10, their sequels, and of course Tactics.

Incredible run.

Not complaining.