Square Enix Doesn’t get enough credit for the Final Fantasy series

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I know it sound absurd to say the Final Fantasy series doesn’t get enough credit as it’s still probably the biggest JRPG franchise in the world but when you really stop and think about it, it’s one of a kind, especially in gaming.

Can you honestly think of any game series that despite having very popular entries completely throws out the formula from one game to the next? They don’t just iterate on what made the last game good, they decide to try something completely new every entry even if it pisses fans off. If you loved FF7, you gotta go play FF7. If you loved IX, you can always play it but you’re not getting 5 different sequels of it.

The exceptions being 1-6, that all played similarly even though 6 really changed a lot of stuff up format wise, by not having any real main characters and having the split narrative.

Now people are criticizing FFXVI because you mostly control one characters and they gone full action combat. Theres also not a lot of high tech in this game like others in the series. Is there any other game series that completely changes the formula every game? I honestly can’t think of much. Thats commendable when so many AAA developers are afraid to venture too far away from what made their last games good.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
I mean that's cool and all. But thats what fukked them up with XIII & XV. It's fine to mess with shyt. Also popular doesn't correlate to quality. At the end of the day quality of the game is all that matters. I don't like Persona 5 as most people here do but they kept the formula basically the same and added features and obviously having a new story. Now XVI looks good and I am excited for it next summer. But suggesting they don't get enough credit is asinine :mjlol:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I mean that's cool and all. But thats what fukked them up with XIII & XV. It's fine to mess with shyt. Also popular doesn't correlate to quality. At the end of the day quality of the game is all that matters. I don't like Persona 5 as most people here do but they kept the formula basically the same and added features and obviously having a new story. Now XVI looks good and I am excited for it next summer. But suggesting they don't get enough credit is asinine :mjlol:

They definitely hurt the brand with all the 13 games and 15 being a disaster but FF7R was a huge success.

I would argue all of the unnecessary spin offs is what hurt the brand the most. Theres a couple good ones like Crisis Core and Tactics, but the vast majority was trash.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Perfection to Perfection

Yeah, im not hating on street fighter but its like the exact opposite of what im talking about here. Street fighter as a series is just an evolution of street fighter 2. They are constantly building on top of that format. When they announce a new street fighter you know more or less what you’re getting.

Street Fighter EX was the biggest departure from the formula.

Canon

Veteran
Daps
they have there misses but I agree with this take

Square is back imo after there hiccups in the PS3/360 gen. gotta cop 90% of whatever they release nowdays.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, im not hating on street fighter but its like the exact opposite of what im talking about here. Street fighter as a series is just an evolution of street fighter 2. They are constantly building on top of that format. When they announce a new street fighter you know more or less what you’re getting.

Street Fighter EX was the biggest departure from the formula.

If you feel that way, I don't know how you can say this about FF when 1 through 10 are literally the same type of games and with slightly different refined takes on turn base combat with a potential job system thrown in.

Final fantasy 15 is just final fantasy 13 and 13-2 combat refined and improved upon and ff7 re is 15 combat refined even more.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
they have there misses but I agree with this take

Square is back imo after there hiccups in the PS3/360 gen. gotta cop 90% of whatever they release nowdays.

The misses are why I appreciate their mentality more.

FF16 could be highly successful, their first all around quality numbered game in years. But you know FF17 will be completely different again despite that.

Every numbered entry is a new ip essentially.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
If you feel that way, I don't know how you can say this about FF when 1 through 10 are literally the same type of games and with slightly different refined takes on turn base combat with a potential job system thrown in.

Final fantasy 15 is just final fantasy 13 and 13-2 combat refined and ff7 re is 15 combat refined even more.

Naw this is a reach beyond the stars.

Final fantasy very clearly deviates from its previous battle systems after 6 and especially after 10.

The stories are different, the traversal is different, the casts are different, different staffs, etc. there are people who love 8,10, 13 and hate 7, 9, 12, and vice versa. Your opinion from game to game can greatly differ.

That’s just not a major thing with sf. They don’t even have the balls to make one without ryu ken and chun li.