Spotify Is Worth More Than The U.S Recording Industry At $8 Billion

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Even as a tech guy i think this shyt gonna fall sooner or later. The example used earlier is the perfect example. Snapchat worth more than Sony but Snapchat brings little to the table while Sony has multiple departments :francis:
Sony peaked outside of games tbh

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
He ain't lying :francis:. This shyt going to come to a halt soon though and I wonder what the windfall in Silicon Valley's going to look like. Ya'll should watch Shark Tank, it's almost as if, if you graduate from Stanford and start your own "startup" somebody's going to give you $1 million dollar valuation off GP. shyt doesn't make any sense.
:childplease: will people stop using phones/ipad--tablets? will people stop buying ultrabooks??

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
:childplease: will people stop using phones/ipad--tablets? will people stop buying ultrabooks??

First I'd like to say, my statement as well as others on this topic early in the thread was based on false information. We were all specifically looking at the "Spotify worth more than U.S. Recording Industry" which was misleading at best.

Ppl using phones/tablets isn't the issue. Snapchat getting a $10-$15 billion valuation is. There wasn't a decline in internet/computer usage that popped the first dot com bubble. There wasn't a decline in the use of homes that caused the real estate crisis either. When something is overvalued, it's overvalued no matter how many people use it.

brehbreh

Rookie
Daps
But first, let's talk about Spotify. Jackson has invested mainly in physical products so far—vitamin drinks, fashion, headphones. But he's looking to invest in tech startups. "I have some ideas now," he says. "I don't want to discuss the deal until the papers get signed because everyone else will get excited—and then we get scattered."

When pressed, Jackson flashes a knowing grin. I ask him whether he's investing in a small music-related startup. "Well, they're really well established companies that I'll end up being involved in," he says. Like Spotify? "Those are the kinds of guys I want to hang out with, down there in Silicon Valley," Jackson answers coyly. He says he knows Parker but declines to go into any more detail. But clearly he's impressed by streaming services like Spotify, which he says, "are the future of music—the experience with Napster gave them the insight—all the information [they needed]."

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All it takes is 1 law to end Spotify..there isn't exactly widespread agreement on its benefit to the industry. Artist don't get a fair share not to mention producers, writers, engineers. Artist could also threaten to pull their music off..

Jack Don the G

What am I? A farmer?
Daps
I dont think Spotify is that worried about their competitors. They are more worried about record labels forcing them to close the free version which is the gate way to the paying costumers. While I was student I had the free version, but as soon I had an income I started paying. I already had all my playlists.

The record labels and artists are stupid if they gonna try pulling the music from the streaming services or make stuff exclusive for one of the services. Will only make people start illegally download music again.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin
First I'd like to say, my statement as well as others on this topic early in the thread was based on false information. We were all specifically looking at the "Spotify worth more than U.S. Recording Industry" which was misleading at best.

Ppl using phones/tablets isn't the issue. Snapchat getting a $10-$15 billion valuation is. There wasn't a decline in internet/computer usage that popped the first dot com bubble. There wasn't a decline in the use of homes that caused the real estate crisis either. When something is overvalued, it's overvalued no matter how many people use it.

All it takes is 1 law to end Spotify..there isn't exactly widespread agreement on its benefit to the industry. Artist don't get a fair share not to mention producers, writers, engineers. Artist could also threaten to pull their music off..
I wasn't talking about spotify per se. More like the app market.

and if Spotify was to fall off, another company would take its place because the demand is strong for that kind of service.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
This tech bubble really is something else. How is an industry app going to be worth more than the entire industry? :dahell:
People believe that the prospect for streaming is looking nice.
Spotify already has people spending more than what the average high spenders spent in the 90s.

Universal bought EMI's label for about 2 billion and Sony ATV bought their publishing division for billion 2 billion, which would mean that it was worth about 4 billion. EMI was the smallest of the 4 majors, so mathematically, it's impossible that the 4 majors are worth less if UMG and Sony Music are counted as US based.

The figure is not about the value of the US industry, it's the "value" of the revenue from physical, digital, video, ringtones and streaming sales in the US, which makes a lot more sense.
http://riaa.com/media/D1F4E3E8-D3E0-FCEE-BB55-FD8B35BC8785.pdf

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
I haven't downloaded a single song since i started paying for spotify. Best app ever made brehs.

If you got a college email it's only 5$ instead of 10 :youngsabo:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Not only is Spotify one of the top competitors when it comes to streaming services but it is also the most valuable. The Wall Street Journal reports that Spotify is now worth more than the U.S music industry. They recently acquired $400 million more in funding, which made their worth skyrocket to $8.4 billion. The recording industry is reportedly worth about $6.8 billion.

Spotify also topped their competitor Pandora, who ranks below them with a worth of $3.5 billion. The service needs the cash to fund their business model where artists and rights holders are paid 70 percent of their revenue as royalties.

Spotify’s worth has spiked since last year, being valued at $5 billion.
Be worth more than the content providers you need brehs. :mjpls: