Spotify Is Worth More Than The U.S Recording Industry At $8 Billion

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I pay $5 a month for spotify, I can download all the albums I want at 320KBPS quality, you have to be truly a broke fukk boi to be too cheap to pay for that kind of service
I pay 10 a month but had that 1 a month special for three months.

It's totally worth the money man.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Isn't the music industry a $15 billion a year market?

Yeah after further investigation, these authors done click baited us with the title and so did OP for not posting the full article :dry:. That $6.8 billion dollar figure was the retail value of the music industry last year, that's revenue. Spotify only did $1.3 billion in revenue last year which would be a much more comparable figure. UMG turned down a $8.5 billion dollar offer in 2013 so spottily isn't even worth more than them.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Aye the numbers are fudged.

By the way for Spotify it's all about growth. They haven't won the war yet. In 5 years time they could be x3 as big. If they can get to 30m paying customers - the game will have been won. Then they can worry about profits. They're on 12m paying customers at the moment.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
Because they disrupted the way people consume music and the industry didn't see it coming
Just think about it for a second, how is one distribution avenue of an entire industry going to be worth more than the entire industry itself? That makes ZERO sense. That'd be like saying Netflix is worth more than the entire film industry, Macy's is worth more than the entire clothing/apparel industry.

In any event I pointed out that the title is misleading. They tried to compare Spotify's worth (8.4 billion) to the retail revenue of music (6.8 billion), which is a terrible comparison to make. If you compare Spotify's revenue (1.4 billion) to the retail revenue (6.8 billion) it makes a lot more sense. UMG itself is worth close to 10 billion

Listen

Tell me moar
Daps
Reppin
A few Floors Down from the Daily Grind
Spotify is different than facebook because it came out the gate with a subscription model, which all investors love, while promoting an existing good that had a known market value. Spotify is like musical Netflix from an investor perspective.