SPIN: Is Cody Rhodes A Top 15 Wrestler In AEW??

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I missed the whole run..only saw the Shaq match..have no idea why he's hated. I missed that whole week to week issue.

Ed MOTHEREFFING G

Chances make champions
Daps
Reppin
206 x 734
He's top 10 overall for sure. TSC acts like they objectively hate him because he;s bad and not because he says Republican sh1t. TSC did the same thing with Randy Orton a few years back when he got lower ratings than Val Venis, but everyone swore it was because he was boring and not a good wrestler.
While your orton take is right...do you think it's possible that it is because every character he has portrayed since dashing Cody Rhodes has been incredibly ineffective and when unchecked his promos ramble and come across with a sense of unearned self importance?

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
It's unfortunate for Cody, but I think the success of his creation doomed his chances of maintaining a top spot. They were successful enough in their first year and a half that CM Punk came out of a 7 year hiatus where he pretty much said "fukk wrestling" to join them full time. Given their success, if you're TK, you have to ask yourself whether it's worth it to pay Cody top dollar (and Brandi for that matter) or use that money to either sign new talent or extend a couple younger talents. As I've said a few times, on The Coli, Cody segments were being shyt on pretty much since that one promo before the Ogogo match.
Cody creating a silo for himself in a private corner of AEW was a bad move on his part too.
Its like 90% of the shyt Cody was up to had nothing to do with the rest of the company most of the time.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Truth time. Cody has all the talent to be a legitimate player in pro wrestling, but he's trying to be The Rock when he's more of a HHH or Foley level player. He knows how to put on great matches and cut great promos, but he tries to make every match and every promo a 5 star classic.
punk
mjf
danielson
black
cash
dax
penta
Fenix
LAXx2
quen
Hobbs
lethal
hangman
omega

damn that was easy. I could keep going

Cody's last good match and last compelling promo was against Dustin:manny:
the Nick Aldis stuff was good too, because of the NWA history with his pops. but that's it. AEW shyt been all trash with no self awareness
I know we shyt on Cody(rightfully so) but he's better than damn near everyone you mentioned. Punk is completely washed putting on slow grandpa matches, Omega has been completely exposed since coming to Amerikkka, and Hobbs is still very green in the ring. The only name on that list that Cody can't hold a candle to is the GOAT Danielson.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Truth time. Cody has all the talent to be a legitimate player in pro wrestling, but he's trying to be The Rock when he's more of a HHH or Foley level player. He knows how to put on great matches and cut great promos, but he tries to make every match and every promo a 5 star classic.

And there’s nothing wrong with that, cause Foley is looked at far more favorably than HHH. He’s always been adored and looked at fondly by crowds. If Cody knew how to simply not be extra, he’d be looked at in that light as well.

Tres Leches

Empire Business
Daps
I'd much rather see these 15 people before Cody:

Bryan Danielson
Hangman
Kenny Omega
Darby
Punk
Moxley
Andrade
Satan
Pac
Rey Fenix
Pentagon
Dante Martin
Serena Deeb
Thunder Rosa
Shida

If you don't want to include the women wrestlers, then just substitute them for Miro, Wardlow and Powerhouse Hobbs. I could probably keep going :heh:

Your list is on point I’ll add another name Ricky Starks:mjgrin:

TOAD99

Veteran
Daps
In no particular order

Danielson
Hangman
Omega
PAC
Dante Martin
Ricky Starks
Darby
Lethal
Miro
Punk
Black
MJF
Penta
Fénix
Bald FTR
Andrade

I think that’s about 15, he’s probably top 20 in certain angles and when he’s reined in

El Guapo

Superstar
Daps
I think so. I know we justifiably cIown his promos, but he was still portrayed as a big deal so I'd take that over a lot of the flippy guys. Anyways, I'll go through their roster page and in alphabetical order, let's see who I'd choose to watch over Cody.

Bryan Danielson
Cash Wheeler
CM Punk
Darby Allin
Dax Harwood
Keith Lee
Miro
MJF
Powerhouse Hobbs
Ricky Starks
Sting

So I got to 11 before Cody.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
This.

I wasn't with the "rebook my career in fantasy mode" redux, I didn't even really dig him vs. Dustin, and the Rhodes name was unanimously attached to the worst TV segments in AEW history...

...but he was very solid filler for AEW's infancy, that deserves some respect.

He was never Top 15, though.

Still - he made too many WWE references, overrelied on the the theatrics, and refused to acknowledge when people thought him and his wife were indulgent.

That said, he piggybacked the fukk out of the Elite, and milked their fanbase as much as his blatantly inauthentic ass could. He had no business in NJPW, did Juice Robinson no favors, and I still can't stand he made Omega/Ibushi a triple threat.

Juice robinson?!!?!?!

Dude is tha worst actual wrassler in the whole industry.
Him and cody should never have been in njpw ever.

Cody used his name for the rub he needed.

Cody problem is he is an in house wwe creation and he never worked up his actual inring psychology outside of amalgamating the son in law's theft of stone cold's injured mainevent style of match booking. Into his own original actual work.
Cody is complete nepotism.
To the point he shows none of his background as a grappler.
Plus uses no psychology whatsoever. He is of the same type of theft.
Most grapplers are after kanyon was sharked by supa nova. Where after all the stolen moveset.
There is no psychology between the bell match to match.
So when he is needed to be a worker.
who just so happens to be cody rhodes. There really is no original work there. Similar to when supanova was in wwe. With a trash gimmick and being exposed past stealing kanyon moveset.
Once the innovative moveset was removed he was exposed completely. Which was on him because he never worked on what he was critiqued on.
With cody he just ignores the critique because he is duhtay rhodes son.
When the appeal of any rhodes son after the natural. Is what if that rhodes son was a mat technician with the natural charisma of duhtay.
In that cody falls completely short from just the natural booking of his brother.
Whom was green as the natural.
Yet way better than cody will ever be.
Outside of the rhodes family name.
cody does not want to work and have psychology.
When paired around workers who could give him this edge at every spot.
Cody never worked on his actual workrate.

Example. When he was with arn anderson. Why did he never learn to work a body part?
When he was in njpw.
Why did he never learn to put on a high quality work with psychology.

Him and tama tonga got the same issue.
All nepotism. No actual attention to being original or great.

No ramp up when clearly they should ramp.
Yet they do not put forth an effort.
Beyond an attempt to making their character be bigger.
than the draw and appeal in reality is.

Art Barr

Last edited: