SPIN: How many of y'all growing up thought Rouge from X-Men was a light-skin or mixed Black woman?

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
From what I've read, the series peaked with Uncanny 111-143 as far as I'm concerned.

Claremont/Byrne/Austin >>>>>>>
the X-men vs Magneto in his volcanic base >>>>>>>
Proteus >>>>>>>
X-men vs the Hellfire Club >>>>>>>>
Dark Phoenix Saga >>>>>>>>
Days of Future Past >>>>>>>>

I liked the Dave Cockrum and Paul Smiths runs as well.
The series started falling off to me when they undid the death of the Phoenix (Jean should've stayed dead after Dark Phoenix IMO), and the sins started to pile up, especially the lasting damage they did to the character of Cyclops just for the sake of having another X-book out they could market.

There were still good stories from time to time (Mutant Massacre had some dope moments and I hear great things about the original Genosha storyline and the return of the Brood), but it doesn't seem to be as consistently enjoyable post-200. Maybe it's different for some of you who have read more of the material past that point. I liked Claremont's swansong (X-men 1-3 with Jim Lee), and Astonishing though. Age of Apocalypse is supposed to be legendary as well.

Anyhow, more on topic: Rogue's 90's design is iconic, but I'm also partial to her mid 80's look when Romita Jr. was on the book:

rogue-bigcostume4.jpg

I liked her Paul Smith look as well...

rogue-classic2.jpg

The boots and hair on romita silvestri drew and made better.
The short hair rogue with two.many issues I never like but Claremont was excellent at swaying you to fall in love with characters you loathed.
Like jubilee,..when jubilee first showed up.
It was like, why and who is this little young ass girl.
Xmen are adults, and kitty is in xcalibur.
Yet, after jubilee cared for logun.
I really enjoyed jubilee as a character.
till the crossovers continued to ruin a great opening character in jubilee.

The xmen were stagnated until the seige perilous.
After that xmen got great cause storm was the leader and used the Roma decision with the seige perilous to hunt.
I enjoyed all the xmen hunt you from Australia arc/lila/starhammers/skrulls/xavier/lilandra saga.
imo, after that it lost its direction.
Especially, once xmen 1 and lee left.
Imo, lee and Claremont fukked up xmen a bit, after 278.
In the shadow king arc, Xavier should have never been recrippled.
The new energy of seeing him fly around with lilandra was so good.
That when he unmasked,...i feel the potential for a lot of great Xavier is with them kick'n ass was lost.
When, it should have been elongated and made into a larger portion of what the xmen should have been moving forward.
After Xavier came back, the xmen should have hunted still and Xavier should have been able to walk/float/fly and kick ass with both blue and gold x teams.
[Xavier should have been able to at the very least.
Get a chance to punch mags in the new xmen book.
Including, have a real chance to physically resolve the conflict with mags. Especially since mags was gifted the school in xmen 200.]

Art Barr

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The short hair rogue with two.many issues I never like but Claremont was excellent at swaying you to fall in love with characters you loathed.

After that xmen got great cause storm was the leader and used the Roma decision with the seige perilous to hunt.
I enjoyed all the xmen hunt you from Australia arc/lila/starhammers/skrulls/xavier/lilandra saga.
That when he unmasked,...i feel the potential for a lot of great Xavier is with them kick'n ass was lost.
When, it should have been elongated and made into a larger portion of what the xmen should have been moving forward.
After Xavier came back, the xmen should have hunted still and Xavier should have been able to walk/float/fly and kick ass with both blue and gold x teams.
Including, have a real chance to physically resolve the conflict with mags. Especially since mags was gifted the school in xmen 200.]

Art Barr

You've definitely read a lot of the post-Romita jr work than I have, I'll have to peep some of the stories you were talking about, especially the Austrailia stuff. It's hard for me to read because of how much I miss the characters that leave for X-Factor and Excalibur, but Storm is still :salute: you're not the only one online I've seen that's a big fan of their "Outback" era. Not gonna lie it would be :wow: to see that lineup in love action (more on that another time)

How was the inferno storyline? I know it crosses over with Mutant Massacre which was hit and miss to me. The X-men vs Marauders fight the sewers was fire, I liked Colossus snapping Riptide's neck like :Birdman: , the Thor stories were legit and the one on one battles where Wolverine and Psylocke got their turns to battle Sabertooth were dope. (IIRC that was the first time Logan and Sabertooth fought in the comics, circa 212) After that it fizzled out to me a little bit.

I thought it was corny though the way the Marauders caught that monster L against Power Pack :mjlol:
Despite being established as these treacherous killers in the other books and bodying most of the X-men.
Wasn't really feeling Louise Simonson's writing style in X-factor either, but that's just me.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Sheryl crow was not always heroin blonde biker waif looking and used to be marketed with ethnic pr.
Sheryl crow used to be a bit more ethnic looking.
when all I wanna do is have some fun came out.
Sheryl crow and this other black chick, imani copolla.
Both crow and copolla had the same curly dark hairstyle.
that was viewed as eclectic and both were fine as fukk back then.
It was when both debuted.
So, I know exactly what happened with the whole Sheryl crow shyt.
Sheryl crow looks totally different.
from the crow later gens became familiar with.
Plus, they never played up crow's ethnic connection to mike jax.
When, she was known as kid rock's gf, too.
Plus, both copolla and crow kinda wore shyt at the time.
That kinda had no basis, or connection.
As most races would not infringe on the others look in the pop realm.
shyt was still kinda segregated in popular culture compared to now.

Later on crow changed her look, but her and copolla had that weird what in the fukk are they confused thing going on.
Plus, they were playing up crow was ethnic
By pr'n her mike jax background credits in thriller.
To make it seem like she could crossover to black music.

imani copolla
DEBUT
61n-hHXCLrL.jpg

220px-Imani_Cowgirl_Cover.jpeg

LATER
littlejackie-080308.jpg

on her debut, black women did not really take public chances to much like this.
Unless you were mad eclectic and being eclectic like this was taboo.
All because of Lisa bonet and the cosby/sex movie/married to Lenny kravitz goes crazy and locks her on an island.
Then the subsequent Lenny kravitz album j card photo controversy that he is still trying to recover from.
Which may never happen because it was so explicitly lame.
Nobody could fukk'n get past it and it had no place and kravitz could not explain it and all the bonet weird shyt going on.
Plus, bonet ruined her career being weird for no reason.
She probably can't even explain what the fukk she was on.

So, copolla was lumped into that weird eclectic weirdness.
Since she was black and flopped.
[wiki, writes about copolla with inaccurate dates and makes it seem like she set the world on fire with cowboy and did not, at all]

Meanwhile,....
Sheryl looked like copolla in look and was white.

So, back then crow was this weird kinda mix of what the fukk is she.
When crow debuted she had a totally different look.
Than the look crow adopted.
to relaunch as a biker bar chick with the shytty blond die job and heroin muscle atrophy ribcage physique.

Crow was night and day different on debut.
from the crow the next Gen became familiar.
As a matter of fact looks wise she was a totally different woman.

When she first showed up, it was like who in the fukk is that and her look was totally different.
Later on I guess when we all became settled with her look.
After her image change from kid rock visibility.
Originally, her and imani copolla were kinda like who and what the fukk are these two fiyoine bytches races supposed to be.

Art Barr

:ohhh: I didn't know this.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY

Art Barr
Jubilee is EASILY one of my favorite X-Men
That "unofficial" Wolverine sidekick shyt always made me laugh
I thought that was cool

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol: i still can't fathom being 6 or 7 years old and not knowing she's white. Especially when you had a cat like Bishop on the show, who was clearly black. How could you think the two of them are even remotely the same racially

Hold it Bishop is an aborigine.
So he is really black-ish