‘South Side’ Renewed for Season 3 at HBO Max

Who Not How

Superstar
Daps
This is a safe place you can admit it was awful :mjcry:
You think these brothas are compromised or infiltrated? :patrice:

I remember the first 2 seasons of the Chi were dope then season 3 came and it was terrible.

I can't think of a good reason why this show fell off in such a short period of time :mjcry: I guess Episode 2 was my favorite this season but that's not saying much, there were no standout episodes. It was all mid throughout the season. I haven't rewatched one episode yet and doubt I will for a while. :francis:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Last two episodes were :francis:

I just binged this. Very mid season overall.

The finale was pretty bad. Who thought that was a good idea? Also they over do it with the dikk riding of celebrities when they make guest appearances. The Cordae shyt was awful
Finale was terrible.

Cordae made no sense at all, dude's not even from Chicago so it's not like they were trying to show a local guy some love.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Last two episodes were :francis:

Finale was terrible.

Cordae made no sense at all, dude's not even from Chicago so it's not like they were trying to show a local guy some love.
The South Suburbs episode could have been so much better. Just fell flat. And I didn't really get the rich white family depiction specifically for THAT area.

Could have really did a lot better than that. Out of all the suburbs in the area, that was a miss for what they came up with. They open with a shot of Rich City Skate and I'm like yoooo, then I watch the rest of the episode and I'm like...

:what:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The South Suburbs episode could have been so much better. Just fell flat. And I didn't really get the rich white family depiction specifically for THAT area.

Could have really did a lot better than that. Out of all the suburbs in the area, that was a miss for what they came up with. They open with a shot of Rich City Skate and I'm like yoooo, then I watch the rest of the episode and I'm like...

:what:
Outside of the first shot and the first scene where Turner and her sister were walking in the subdivision, it being in the south burbs didn't play into the episode at all.

Like you said, the white family didn't match out there at all.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
This season has been way too dense with the jokes. They need to let them breathe a lil bit. It's actually felt like a chore turning it on lately. Not because it's bad, but I just get exhausted watching these days :flabbynsick:

I think I read somewhere that Turner look the lead on a lot of the writing this season which may explain the pivot.

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
This season has been way too dense with the jokes. They need to let them breathe a lil bit. It's actually felt like a chore turning it on lately. Not because it's bad, but I just get exhausted watching these days :flabbynsick:

I think I read somewhere that Turner look the lead on a lot of the writing this season which may explain the pivot.

Turner need to stick with acting bc this season was awful. This bytch tryna put herself and her husband out of work :dead:

Felt like they ran out of ideas and just did whatever.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Turner need to stick with acting bc this season was awful. This bytch tryna put herself and her husband out of work :dead:

It still makes me laugh, but yeah I feel you haha

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps

The third season of “South Side” premiered on HBO Max on Dec. 8, and Russell said she’s especially proud of what the show was able to accomplish this season. And for good reason.

“This was the first year where the women in the room ― and all of our women are Black women ― but the women writers, we outweighed the men, which is so rare in a writer’s room,” said Russell, who also writes for the show. “And to be in a room where people respect our voices, and where we really get to make changes, and be in charge of the women narratives.”
Russell said this season delves deeper into the stories of the women of the series. She created Turner and has a routine she follows to get into character.

“Before we shoot, I have to eat a Peppermint Pickle, which is a Chicago hood snack,” she said. “I have to clean my house very thoroughly. I know it’s very strange, but Officer Turner is a very clean person. So, I have to scrub everything down to just get in the proper spirit.”
For Russell, who’s also working on the comedy series “Black Girl Magic” with Gabrielle Union, Turner has been a place to rest her insecurities and find healing through comedy. Her writing is a relatable space for other Black women to see their stories told.
Bashir Salahuddin, the show’s executive producer and Russell’s husband, said it was important this season to follow the lead of the women in the room. He sang Russell’s praises for the care she puts into not only her character, but all of the characters.
“Obviously, she really created her own character. I mean we had some ideas, but ultimately she’s the one who really figured out what that character has to be, and that’s why I think why it’s so good and so resonant,” said Salahuddin, who plays Officer Goodnight. “But she’s not saving that passion just for her own character. So whenever she’s writing for Diallo [Riddle’s] character, my character, other people’s character, it’s that same level of compassion and commitment that she has for her own character.”

I think this is why this season felt all over the place lol

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub