Sopranos final scene...what happened?

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Except nobody sees it actually happen. Anybody can make up anything past the credit roll of the final episode and say it happened. I can say Marlo found his way back to the top after The Wire ended. If the creators didn’t show it happen or credit it happening it isn’t canon.
Folks can make up what they want but there have been countless times throughout the course of the show that alludes to Tony’s eventual death. Chase literally said that “it’s all there”.

14 years after the finale and people still talking about The Sopranos ending tells me everything I need to know about its effectiveness.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Boss? He was supposed to be his family.

A boss would fire an employee not kill them :dahell:
Late reply, but breh sounds like one of the many sociopaths I see in the YouTube comments that be constantly justifying Tony’s actions no matter how despicable they were. :mjlol:

Last edited:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Smh how stupid can you be. In the Godfather they had to have it in the bathroom because it was a sit down. This was just some random restaurant where you can walk in with gun. So why would they plant one?

:mjlol: seems to me you're the stupid one. Tony sat facing the door for a reason. I can tell you have absolutely no street smarts.

As well I didn't imply shyt about the godfather.:what:

Daps
Reppin
Chi
The Tony POV is set up throughout the entire scene. Bell rings at the door, Tony’s face is shown then cut to his POV (the ppl entering at the door). This happens repeatedly until the last time when meadow walks in. Bell rings, Tony’s face is shown cut to what he sees which is nothing bc he’s killed instantly.

it’s not “shown” as in the 3rd person bc the entire scene is set up to be in Tony’s POV. Why go all that length of setting up the POV if he’s not witnessing the blackness aka being killed? Why all the foreshadowing with “you probably don’t even hear it when it happens” and sil literally not hearing it as it’s happening in the restaurant?

the writers went lengths to allude to Tony dying without actually showing it bc chase didn’t want to be conclusive bc life isn’t conclusive he also is stated saying he didn’t want to give the audience the satisfaction of seeing Tony shot. He’s also stated S5 was originally going to end with Tony getting called into the city for a sit down and getting whacked too.

the only reason ppl think Tony isn’t dead is bc it’s not shown on screen but all the foreshadowing and POV alludes to him being shot dead while there’s no evidence pointing to him living... You don’t technically see Adriana get shot either....

the show has always built things up to be anticlimactic. There’s never the big showdowns vs nyc...Richie is killed by Janis, Ralph is killed randomly not even in a finale, hits on Johnny sack and Carmine getting called off, Johnny vs Ralph not going down, furio and Carmela never actually hooking up, there’s lots of examples of build ups that end without the huge climax the viewer anticipated

I believe they didn’t show it explicitly bc they wanted to have the opportunity to potentially make a movie or something but that never happened.

Last edited:

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol: seems to me you're the stupid one. Tony sat facing the door for a reason. I can tell you have absolutely no street smarts.

As well I didn't imply shyt about the godfather.:what:

Yes you did you dumb fukk.. Saying he had a gun planted in the bathroom is the dumbest shyt ever. He could have simply walked in with a gun as it wasn't a place you get frisked.

You was basically trying to say this but it makes no sense..

Stop_It_5

Veteran
Daps
Daps
Reppin
Chi
James Gandolfini wanted to make a 'Sopranos' movie before he died

Chase & Gandolfini were both ready to do a movie after getting some time away. James said he wanted Big p*ssy back so they were gonna try to spin his death as one of Tony's hallucinogenic dreams :mjlol:

that would have low key been awful if they brought p*ssy back. Way too unrealistic that Tony and everyone had some collective false memory for years :mjlol: sounds more like movie was a possibility but Pastore is overrating his role in what that’d be in the film. Likely a flashback. he was barely ever brought up in later seasons

heart

Down By Law
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
The Tony POV is set up throughout the entire scene. Bell rings at the door, Tony’s face is shown then cut to his POV (the ppl entering at the door). This happens repeatedly until the last time when meadow walks in. Bell rings, Tony’s face is shown cut to what he sees which is nothing bc he’s killed instantly.

it’s not “shown” as in the 3rd person bc the entire scene is set up to be in Tony’s POV. Why go all that length of setting up the POV if he’s not witnessing the blackness aka being killed? Why all the foreshadowing with “you probably don’t even hear it when it happens” and sil literally not hearing it as it’s happening in the restaurant?

the writers went lengths to allude to Tony dying without actually showing it bc chase didn’t want to be conclusive bc life isn’t conclusive he also is stated saying he didn’t want to give the audience the satisfaction of seeing Tony shot. He’s also stated S5 was originally going to end with Tony getting called into the city for a sit down and getting whacked too.

the only reason ppl think Tony isn’t dead is bc it’s not shown on screen but all the foreshadowing and POV alludes to him being shot dead while there’s no evidence pointing to him living... You don’t technically see Adriana get shot either....

the show has always built things up to be anticlimactic. There’s never the big showdowns vs nyc...Richie is killed by Janis, Ralph is killed randomly not even in a finale, hits on Johnny sack and Carmine getting called off, Johnny vs Ralph not going down, furio and Carmela never actually hooking up, there’s lots of examples of build ups that end without the huge climax the viewer anticipated

I believe they didn’t show it explicitly bc they wanted to have the opportunity to potentially make a movie or something but that never happened.
One of the biggest things people look over as far as the ending of the sopranos was that Jamie-Lynn Sigler who played meadow did an interview after the premiere of the last season where she said there was an alternative final scene that was shot that basically showed tony being shot but Chase went with the more abstract version.

She said both scenes were sad and in one of the the many interviews chase as done, he also confirmed two different final scenes with the same outcome were shot..

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
It's only a terrible ending if you wanted it spelled out and shown that Tony got wacked....:skip:

but that last season gave you clues as to what it was gonna be like when someone gets wacked...

DaddyFresh

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought the ending was genius. And yeah, he got wacced
This. There was a scene where he’s fishing with Bobby and they are talking about what dying from a hit feels like. They say something along the lines of it just goes black. Tony had so many people that wanted him dead by the finale. The dude with the members only jacket that went to the bathroom is the one to most likely have did it. The show was always from tony point of view. So the screen going black was him getting wacked. The only reason they never admitted it after the fact is look damn near 20 years later and people still talking about it. It was actual a genius ending I agree. Tony getting killed on camera, going to prison or living happily ever after would have been way to cliche and cheesy. Everyone gets upset when their favorite show ends especially what they feel its abruptly. But in hindsight that ending aged like wine.