Sony Sacrificed the PlayStation 4 Camera to Beat Microsoft on Price

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I'll be shocked if they don't release with a bundle for a lil more $

Mmm-hmm. I think they'll release a bundle with the PS4 Camera, "Knack" or "Driveclub", & PS+ trial for $500 to attract the family/broad mainstream audience.

ChrisDorner

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Hell
it fragments the market and market developers more reluctant to utilize it. there doesn't really need to be a camera IMO but if there way they should have ate the cost and included it.

I'm not really tripping off of the camera or the light bar so :manny:

I could see someone who was really, really looking forward to using the light bar on the controller a lot but other than that.. I'm sure there will still be a good amount of games (atleast first party) utilizing the tech so it'll be fine either way.

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
Sony said the PS4 eye and the DS4 were developed in concert. Just like the remote play is at the OS level, do we happen to know if Sony also included camera/voice commands at the OS level? I mean the memory allocation supposedly went from 512 to 1GB, when they jacked the memory up to 8GB's. If Sony did this it would be a smart move, simply because you would be able to use the camera for things like voice commands for apps like netflix, or whatever is allocated for games.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Atleast we have the option.. If we want it we can get it, it isn't shoved down our throats.

I can't see how this is a bad thing
Because its not standard, developers have to decide if they want to use extra money on features nobody can use.
If they sell one million pSeyes in 2yrs but the install base is 12million
Do they use those resources on something only 1 million gamers can use (unless they go buy the camera)

The question is what did sony have planned? They work with Dev's and Devs told them what they have planned for Kinect. So they followed suit. Now when game comes out that takes advantage of the camera in cool and innovative ways? Sony can try to have the same features in there games.
Voice control for Madden for example is a MUST for me going forward. No bullshytting, I'm not going back.
Sony will add shyt like that, and they even said "If the game has PSeye function then drop that PSvita remote play shyt"

They not gonna say all that, but have NO PLANS on using the tech. You guys just have to understand that you don't understand nothing right now :manny:
This is a good thing. Hardcore gamers don't give a fukk about a camera. And I don't want to be forced to use it.
Hardcore gamers don't make games, they play them and shut thee fukk up :ufdup:
When hardcore games make use of them (madden) then you'll be like "how did I ever play w/out voice controls" I know I did (Story Tru)
I will admit Kinect 1.0 was ambitious but couldn't deliver what Kinect 2.0 can
Most of us was waiting for that level of Kinectment since day 1. I'm making up words over here, I'm a Kinectimal out this piece
I promise never to say that again unless I'm trying to be corny on purpose
I'm in the camp wanting the camera to be packed with the PS4. I love gimmicky shyt. But this article is filled with inaccuracies.

The decision to sell the camera separately was made well in advance of E3. When you get to watch the Dual Shock 4 trailer released in May, at the end of the trailer it states the camera was sold separately

iJgqRWP.png

Also his math is very bad, how does a camera that retails for 60 bucks make the console a 100 dollars cheaper when the price is 399 without it? This sounds like an opinion piece without sources.

Again I'm in the Camera camp but his math is fishy.
Well for one, May is less than a month away from E3 so not sure what you meant there. They adding RAM, taking away cameras, they don't know what they doing over there. They just want you to fall for whatever basically.

As for the Math, its the Camera and the PS Move, both are $60 bringing that total to $120+tax
Mmm-hmm. I think they'll release a bundle with the PS4 Camera, "Knack" or "Driveclub", & PS+ trial for $500 to attract the family/broad mainstream audience.
And now the insane fanboy wishlist again :laff:
Yeah, they gonna for $100 more give you two launch games (never done in console history btw) $50 PS+ and the Camera $60
If you really think that will be available at launch I really believe you are a crack baby

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
And now the insane fanboy wishlist again :laff:
Yeah, they gonna for $100 more give you two launch games (never done in console history btw) $50 PS+ and the Camera $60
If you really think that will be available at launch I really believe you are a crack baby

Retarted ass nikka, re-read my post again. It's not insane.

I said the option of "Knack" OR "Driveclub". A free TRIAL of PS+, which will probably be 30 days.

I don't think "Knack" and to a lesser degree "Driveclub" will be huge sellers to core gamers. They're both family-friendly games. If Sony were to offer a PS4 bundle that included a choice of either of "Knack" OR "Driveclub" with the PS4 camera & a free PS+ trial for $500, that would be very attractive to the broad mainstream family audience compared to the XB1. It would also guarantee a higher adoption rate of the PS4 Camera. It should be a no-brainier for Sony.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
They not gonna say all that, but have NO PLANS on using the tech. You guys just have to understand that you don't understand nothing right now :manny:

Hardcore gamers don't make games, they play them and shut thee fukk up
When hardcore games make use of them (madden) then you'll be like "how did I ever play w/out voice controls" I know I did (Story Tru)
I will admit Kinect 1.0 was ambitious but couldn't deliver what Kinect 2.0 can
Most of us was waiting for that level of Kinectment since day 1. I'm making up words over here, I'm a Kinectimal out this piece

Just because something the technology is new doesn't mean it is useful. Show me something that will advance my gaming experience in a meaningful way. I'm buying this console to play games. I don't give a shyt about a camera. I already have a much better camera. Motion controls? Voice controls? So now instead of pressing a button to instantly do something, I have to wave my arms around or shout a command? That's not progress, that's called moving backwards.

The Wiimote was a gimmick, albeit a popular one that non-gamers loved. The Kinect is a gimmick. Will the new Kinect be more than a gimmick? Who knows, but I'd rather take my 100 dollars then waste it on a feature I don't care about at all.

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
Eventually, price comes down. That's why I understood the rationale of including Blu-Ray in the PS3. Additionally, the XB1 doesn't cost $900 like the PS3 did. If you want something to be a standard, it can't be an accessory. I'm one of those that loves the Kinect and I can't wait for the second version of it.

man the psmove is still the same price it started as :beli: so are controllers

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Just because something the technology is new doesn't mean it is useful. Show me something that will advance my gaming experience in a meaningful way. I'm buying this console to play games. I don't give a shyt about a camera. I already have a much better camera. Motion controls? Voice controls? So now instead of pressing a button to instantly do something, I have to wave my arms around or shout a command? That's not progress, that's called moving backwards.

The Wiimote was a gimmick, albeit a popular one that non-gamers loved. The Kinect is a gimmick. Will the new Kinect be more than a gimmick? Who knows, but I'd rather take my 100 dollars then waste it on a feature I don't care about at all.
I hear ya, and what your doing is trying to dictate what gets made. You don't make games, your not part of the creative process. You don't even care for the advancement of games. You think you know everything, and any innovations are all trash. Your words.

I didn't get kinect 1.0 to replace all other ways of gaming. I just wanted to try it out :ahh:
somethings it does wonderful, others not so much. Most of the issues are fixed now with 2.0. I've seen it with my own two eye'icles. All the gripes I had, but never reported to anybody. I see they fixed them. So I know what type of experiences they "CAN" offer. You have no idea, your convinced they can't do nothing. They wasted the billions they spent making it/etc. Cuz it wont work for you!!!

But I'm here to tell you they will find ways to make use of it, they already have, and its only gonna expand 100-fold this gen. You'll understand better once the games are in our hands. If you don't agree, thats fine. But you can't deny that THE INDUSTRY disagrees with you. Its not just my personal opinion :hula:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
man the psmove is still the same price it started as :beli: so are controllers

Because it's an accessory, those are where they make money from. The first Kinect cost Microsoft $56 at launch. Sold for $150.

Sony and Microsoft are still going to follow the Gillette model. Give away the razor (console) at a loss, sell the blades for profit (games and accessories.)

Money!!

#Knickstape #Saints #Pelicans
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
I'm not really tripping off of the camera or the light bar so :manny:

I could see someone who was really, really looking forward to using the light bar on the controller a lot but other than that.. I'm sure there will still be a good amount of games (atleast first party) utilizing the tech so it'll be fine either way.

One thing Sony doesn't tho is support their own peripherals, that PS Eye is DOA.