Sony Reaches Programming Deal With Viacom for Online Pay-TV Service

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
http://gizmodo.com/sony-has-locked-up-viacom-for-its-online-tv-service-1149697702

Everyone and their dog is trying to create some kind of streaming future for TV, but deals with content providers have proven incredibly difficult to nail down. But the Wall Street Journal reports that Sony has apparently cleared that hurdle, striking an agreement with TV giant Viacom.

Sony Is Going to Make a Cable Killing Streaming TV Service Later This Year
Variety reports that one of Sony's big fish announcements this year will be a broadband TV service that'll compete directly with cable. The … Read…

The deal would let Sony's rumored internet TV service offer Viacom content (MTV, VH1, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, etc.) in addition to its own massive library of television series and films. WSJ reports that there are still a few details to iron out with Viacom, but once the ink is dry, Sony might have something really awesome on its hands. Apparently it's also in talks with Disney, Time Warner, and CBS for an even more expansive offering.

A successful Sony streaming TV service would also bolster PS4 in the living room. Microsoft has obviously been making a similar push with the Xbox One, but this makes it very clear that Sony is very serious about the exact same space.

But the timing here is key. Sony has already had to stall the service once because cable companies have such tight control over content. And Intel, Google, and Apple are also hard at work on their own competing services. Still, it's the first major breakthrough we've seen with a content provider that matters. Most encouraging of all? The WSJ says Sony aims to launch by the end of the year, which means the future of TV might not be as far away as we thought.

==================================

:lupe:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I think that alacarte shyt will be the future. I know intel been working on it for a minute

<insert joke about the ps4 being a glorified cable-box>

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I think that alacarte shyt will be the future. I know intel been working on it for a minute

<insert joke about the ps4 being a glorified cable-box>

Cable companies will fight back by raising internet prices as cable subscriptions fall. That bandwidth cap gonna have to be upped as well.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Cable companies will fight back by raising internet prices as cable subscriptions fall. That bandwidth cap gonna have to be upped as well.

they been fighting it. but it just opens the door for someone else to sneak in and steal the isp market from them. I really feel like it's inevitable. people are tired of paying for 100+ channels they don't watch

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
they been fighting it. but it just opens the door for someone else to sneak in and steal the isp market from them. I really feel like it's inevitable. people are tired of paying for 100+ channels they don't watch

Mmm-hmm, like what Google is doing with their fiber service.

Smooth3d

All Star
Resting in Peace
Daps
Reppin
Tulsa,Ok
Bu bu bu bu bu the Ps4 is for the gamers! Gamers don't watch tv! :laff: Im happy if this comes true because Im getting a PS4 too, but you can not deny its a little hypercritical.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
Basically, the cable monopoly is coming to a close.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Bu bu bu bu bu the Ps4 is for the gamers! Gamers don't watch tv! :laff: Im happy if this comes true because Im getting a PS4 too, but you can not deny its a little hypercritical.

Cable Box not required, already being done now (albeit limited), is not a glorified overlay for an existing cable box, again already being done, Sony made sure people knew it was a GAMING CONSOLE first and foremost unlike MS who led off with all that TV shyt.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

nikka.....I've been saying that the PS4 will have most the media/social/OS features as the Xbox1. It's nuts to think a Electronics/Media-Entertainment giant like Sony would not eventually promote those features for casuals, especially since they've always done it for their previous consoles.

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
nikka.....I've been saying that the PS4 will have most the media/social/OS features as the Xbox1. It's nuts to think a Electronics/Media-Entertainment giant like Sony would not eventually promote those features for casuals, especially since they've always done it for their previous consoles.
I'm surprised they haven't hit up skype to make a deal too.:patrice:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
wait....wait....Rekka....Rekka.....you know what...nvm

noneedupset.gif

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
:ohhh: Does anyone realize that this Pay-TV service will allow Sony to subsidize the entire price of a PS4/PS Camera bundle for new customers?

I'm surprised they haven't hit up skype to make a deal too.:patrice:

Microsoft owns Skype. But, Skype is already on the PS Vita. And it's in Skype's best interest to be on the PS4 instead of letting a competitor like "Google Hangouts" take that marketshare on the PS4.