Sony is developing a new game cartridge.

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
I don't know why MS or Sony aren't looking at Read only flash drives as media for games
There is no benefit to either of them as most games are installed and run on a hard disk drive.

I can totally see both offering a version of their current or future hardware without a blu-ray drive.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
There is no benefit to either of them as most games are installed and run on a hard disk drive.

I can totally see both offering a version of their current or future hardware without a blu-ray drive.
As internal drives move to SSD next gen the transfer speeds being the bottleneck with optical, if they still want to have a offline method of game ownership, read only flash is the best way to go, and cheaper per byte than optical

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Most games these days are closer to 100gb than not, I'm reading your replies and it appears that logically speaking you are looking at this as either 100gb or its 1gb.
There are two games I can think of that were 100gb at release, red dead and fallout 76 with its 50gb patch
Are you aware that today's games are constantly updated. I'm talking 5gb, 10gb, 20gb updates? This is routine TODAY :facepalm:
Downloading 10 or 20gb over a long period of time isn't the same as downloading 100+GB of data at one time.
Digital will be what the majority uses. Weirdos like yourself unable to understand that your current gen systems are 100% digital, they do not read disc to run games. Disc only exist now because people ignorant to reality have to be tricked into it

Disc exist for people who cant or dont want to download huge game files along with a day one patch all at one time.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As internal drives move to SSD next gen the transfer speeds being the bottleneck with optical, if they still want to have a offline method of game ownership, read only flash is the best way to go, and cheaper per byte than optical
Optical is cheaper to mass produce than making flash drive/cartridges

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
There are two games I can think of that were 100gb at release, red dead and fallout 76 with its 50gb patch

Downloading 10 or 20gb over a long period of time isn't the same as downloading 100+GB of data at one time.

Disc exist for people who cant or dont want to download huge game files along with a day one patch all at one time.
If your internet is slow you download everything “over a period of time”

Benefit of digital is that you can begin preloads usually two weeks in advance, where as physical discs you still have to install and download 40GB patches day one.

For a person that has slow internet and wants to play a game as soon as possible digital is the best way to go.