Sony could've went with literally any other design and it would of been better than the current PS5

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
interesting if it’s solely aesthetic :ehh:

ps5_model.png

See...

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park

The current form factor is aesthetic, the size of it is not. High frequencies come at a cost.

PS5 production is reportedly cut by 4 million units for launch window

While the PS5 is still coming this holiday, it may be doing so in lesser numbers than Sony originally intended. According to a report from Bloomberg, PS5 production is cut by 4 million units for the launch window ending March 2021, meaning Sony is now planning for 11 million units instead of 15 million.

Bloomberg further reports this issue is due to unexpectedly high failure rates in the system-on-a-chip (SOC) yields that are viable for production. Per Bloomberg sources, Sony is facing "production yields as low as 50% for its SOC." The PS5 specs are pushing extremely high clock speeds for its processing power. It was originally reported back in July that Sony was increasing production to 10 million units. Per this report, production was originally planned to increase again to 15 million.

I don't expect people to follow production of consoles. I do, I'm a nerd in that regard. They are binning 50% of their SOCs. The high clock speeds come at a cost. That is why developers prefabricate wide and slow vs narrow and fast. This is what further makes me thing this smart shift shyt was in direct response to what Microsoft was doing. I'm still going to get one and perhaps for the first time, actually get an extended warranty on it. I never saw it coming with the 360 but this has been the case since I first saw the PS5. It runs hot. Those thermals aren't good.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
The current form factor is aesthetic, the size of it is not. High frequencies come at a cost.

I don't expect people to follow production of consoles. I do, I'm a nerd in that regard. They are binning 50% of their SOCs. The high clock speeds come at a cost. That is why developers prefabricate wide and slow vs narrow and fast. This is what further makes me thing this smart shift shyt was in direct response to what Microsoft was doing. I'm still going to get one and perhaps for the first time, actually get an extended warranty on it. I never saw it coming with the 360 but this has been the case since I first saw the PS5. It runs hot. Those thermals aren't good.

Keep it in a cold room then...:mjlol: My ps4 stay cold...:wow:

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang

Now that you're saying this maybe the people will listen.

If I were to say this they'll say it's an agenda.

Now my issue is it don't matter who tells you, they'll all act like it didn't happen battered housewife style...
Hopefully this is fake news

Report: PlayStation 5 overheating issues causing Sony to panic
Sources say Sony's PlayStation 5 runs so hot it's forcing new hardware cooling and case redesigns

Derek Strickland | Apr 2, 2020 at 3:27 pm CDT (20 mins, 25 secs reading time)

Why hasn't Sony showed the PlayStation 5 yet? Rumor has it the system runs so hot that Sony still hasn't locked down a final design for the console.

New reports suggest Sony is panicking over significant PS5 overheating issues. Supposed unnamed dev sources tell reporters like Windows Central's Dan Rubino and Jez Corden that the console is simply belting out too much heat for the cooling array to handle.

Ad
Everything from the 7nm AMD SoC to the ultra-fast 5.5GB/sec PCIe 4.0 SSD are generating pretty substantial thermals, and Sony's solution may not be on par with the Xbox Series X's huge 130mm fan and vapor chamber cooler. The PS5's variable GPU scaling adds another potential layer of worry to the heat management issues, especially since the console will scale its GPU power on a game-by-game basis.

The heat problems may force Sony to redesign system's cooling and chassis design. Reports say current PS5 design is failing due to overheating and compare it to the Xbox 360's dreaded RRoD thermal issues. Now we understand why the PS5 devkit has massive ventilation.

Previous PS5 concepts show a strange X-shaped case with side ventilation, but this may be inadequate. It's possible Sony's next-gen console could look more like the Xbox Series X's Mini-ITX tower design that pulls heat from the bottom up.

Ad

Read Also: Understanding the PS5's SSD: A deep dive into next-gen storage tech

Ad
With great power comes the need for great thermal dissipation and cooling solutions. Any enthusiast PC gamer knows all about proper push-pull configurations, CPU cooling, heat sinks--the works. Without proper cooling, your components aren't going to last long belting out 4K resolution gaming, especially 1080p 120FPS with ray tracing and other effects turned on.

In the past, Sony has gotten away with passable cooling solutions for its consoles--the PS4 Pro still sounds like a jet engine--but the PlayStation 5 will require something much more specialized to dissipate heat from the 10.9TFLOP GPU, 8-core Zen 2 CPU, 16GB of GDDR6 RAM, and especially the M.2 NVMe SSD.

Read Also: PlayStation 5 specs: 10TFLOPs Navi RDNA 2 2.23GHz GPU, 3.5GH Zen 2 CPU

Apparently Sony has made a special cooling design for the PS5 that'll drive up costs. The overheating reports clash with other past reports of the PlayStation 5's cooling system.

Sources told Bloomberg in February that Sony is spending extra on a more powerful and efficient cooling solution for the PS5. The rise in per-unit manufacturing costs is making it harder for Sony to pinpoint a final consumer pricetag for the console.

Ad
If the reports are true, Sony could buy itself some time by delaying the PS5 due to the coronavirus outbreak. The company was careful not to make strong commitments to shipping the PlayStation 5 in 2020and warned investors COVID-19 could interrupt and delay key first-party PlayStation exclusives.

There's a chance the reports aren't true and it's just another bit of gas for the fiery console war that's raging. It still begs to question why Sony hasn't revealed the PlayStation 5 yet...especially this late in the game. Manufacturing of the console is undoubtedly underway as we speak and I doubt Sony would ship so many systems knowing a good portion of them would fail due to overheating. But then again, they did ship the PS3 with the Yellow Light of Death.

The PS5 will release in Holiday 2020, and it may cost $499.

Check below for more info on everything we know about the PlayStation 5 so far
There's a thread on that topic as well but the community posted up a Jordan gif and called me names. Makes sense why it looks like shyt with no price announced yet. Watch the ps5 get delayed till next winter while they figure out a new design.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Now that you're saying this maybe the people will listen.

If I were to say this they'll say it's an agenda.

Now my issue is it don't matter who tells you, they'll all act like it didn't happen battered housewife style...

There's a thread on that topic as well but the community posted up a Jordan gif and called me names. Makes sense why it looks like shyt with no price announced yet. Watch the ps5 get delayed till next winter while they figure out a new design.

I think that Sony can't afford a delay. If not for anything else, we may see a down clock of speeds. We don't know how long this issue will persist for. However, this has been an easy one to call if you pay attention to things like this.

Every iteration of the console only brought more questions than answers from a visual perspective, from devkit to final console, not to mention the stories that kept popping up. Sony needs TSMC to get this right