Sony acquires Bungie for 3.6B

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Gizmo going full blown stan over an IP that is on the Mt. Rushmore of GaaS games (his absolute favorite genre, as he's mentioned plenty of times) is some funny shyt :mjlol:

Now Bungie is the crown jewel FPS developer and he's never even played their 2 IP's :dead:

What a sight to behold :blessed:

Thank you Jim Ryan for showing me the error of my stan ways

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
How much is Bungie worth? Destiny 2 player base and sales numbers - Pro Game Guides.

Destiny 2 is estimated to have a player base of 38.8 million players. It is the second most popular MMO of all time, second only to World of Warcraft. It also boasts a respectable average of around 700 thousand daily users. For a game released in 2017, Destiny 2 performs extremely well. Of those 38.8 million players, 39 percent of all players play the game on Steam. PlayStation hosts the most players on consoles with a substantial 38 percent of the player base. That leaves Xbox consoles with 22 percent of the player base and Stadia players who make up the final one percent.

Destiny 2 is the second best-selling FPS franchise in the US next to Call of Duty. In its first weekend, Destiny 2 has been estimated to sell 1 million copies, and a total of 92 million units were sold in the first week at retail. Destiny 2 is now estimated to bring in anywhere from $100-$500 million dollars in revenue every year.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
I was DEEEEEEEP into Destiny 1, but they lost me with Destiny 2 when they released it on consoles at 30fps
:unimpressed:

The PC community wasn't really poppin' in D2 either, this would have been a bigger move if it happened before D2 dropped when D1 was at it's absolute pinnacle.
:wow:
That 30fps decision was moronic.

Chef

All Star
Daps
I’m not trying to be malicious or throw shade but what about Bungie has fallen off compared to what the competitors offered? Please remember Fallout 76 was not that long ago and we don’t known how Starfield looks. Halo Infinite is great shooter and a great Halo game but it isn’t feature complete. It also took 343 three games to get it right.

I think Bungie and Arkane Studios have the best art direction in shooters(Dishonored 2:wow:). Bungie has strong talent across the board, their type of game may not be for you and that’s fine, I’m not here to convert anyone. If Bungie has secured resources to improve, it’s a win for all platforms.

I think the best FPS team Microsoft has now is between iD and Arkane. Hopefully my comments won’t be taken as fanboy bait but I think it’s a fair conversation to have. :yeshrug:

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
It's worth a bag, sure. But 3.6 billion is a different beast especially since you are essentially getting one franchise.

That's half as much as Zenimax and M$ got like 10-12 franchises that were proven earners. I'm sure the figures are just estimates but looking into it they say Destiny might pull in 100 to 300 million a year at best. You know how many years it would take for Bungie to amass 3.6 billion? :picard:
Bethesda have maybe 2 real earners , Scrolls & Fallout.

Destiny has a 1m+ daily active users across all platform plus one of the best teams in FPS next to Respawn. The synergies with Sony’s other studios and general long term goals shouldn’t be under stated either

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Sony bought to have a big next few weeks

bought bungie
Gt7,horizon , White Queen releasing

:shaq:

State of Play Wednesday

9jRVc2.gif

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Look into the news about the expansion this February if you’re curious. Bungie said they’re paying more attention into single player aspect. They haven’t said much about it but I feel where you’re coming from, the need for a strong narrative shooter.

I'd play it in a heartbeat. Just like with TitanFall, didn't like the 1st. Loved the second. Only play COD single player same with Halo even tho I have played a little bit of Halo MP. Not something I plan to grind through tho.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Look into the news about the expansion this February if you’re curious. Bungie said they’re paying more attention into single player aspect. They haven’t said much about it but I feel where you’re coming from, the need for a strong narrative shooter.
its actually wild because d1 and 2 both got shyt for how they launched but you could legit argue that destiny has the best persistent, ongoing story in gaming right now. even with ff14 doing numbers in its own right

Tim Lord

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Acquisition season!

This is the best move (in terms of acquisitions) Sony could’ve done. I’m not saying that this is an answer to Bethesda or Activision-Blizzard, but buying Bungie to secure a solid FPS/shooter on the platform and to leverage their ability build live service games, is a the best move they could’ve made given the circumstances.

Also, I’ve been impatiently waiting to see Bungies next game.

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Really feel like these recent grabs are gonna destroy gaming. People are gonna have to pick sides even more because of "exclusives." I hope some deals can be worked so games under the MS/Sony banner can still be played on the other's platform.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
not sure why xbots are heated. this deal benefits everyone, sony, microsoft, and bungie.

its the right and most noble move sony has made. Power to the Players

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Makes sense for both parties. Sony needs some multiplayer games and something that isn't in third person. Sony also has everything in house to turn Destiny into the IP that Bungie thinks(I do as well, Destiny's potential lore and story wise is damn near limitless) it can be. Sony owns film studios and they own Crunchyroll and Funimation so they basically have the anime game on lock as well. Look forward to seeing what they can do with the IP.