Sonic Frontiers (PC, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PS5, PS4) (November 8, 2022)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I like SkillUp, but I don't think this is something in his taste. The pop in is really bad in his game compared to other reviewers.

Yeah, doesn’t seem to be his thing but he’s not exactly an outlier either.

With way a 72-73 is kind of where I expected this to land. I was hoping it was close to an 8 than the typical sonic 7 though. I’m sure it’s enjoyable enough for most sonic fans.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, doesn’t seem to be his thing but he’s not exactly an outlier either.

With way a 72-73 is kind of where I expected this to land. I was hoping it was close to an 8 than the typical sonic 7 though. I’m sure it’s enjoyable enough for most sonic fans.

Shame... They probably costing themselves whole points because of the pop-in. I hope they can patch it

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Sega really gotta open the check book for a sequel. This got massive potential... Put this open zone formula together with Mario Odyssey multiple different worlds/theme or even just a massive open world planet with different biomes.

That would require a AAA budget and development team.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Sega really gotta open the check book for a sequel. This got massive potential... Put this open zone formula together with Mario Odyssey multiple different worlds/theme or even just a massive open world planet with different biomes.

That would require a AAA budget and development team.
Like it's crazy to me. Aren't Sega and Nintendo devs friends at least in real life? They should easily be able to sit together somewhere in Tokyo, get some Ramen and talk about why Mario is shytting on Sonic games.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Like it's crazy to me. Aren't Sega and Nintendo devs friends at least in real life? They should easily be able to sit together somewhere in Tokyo, get some Ramen and talk about why Mario is shytting on Sonic games.
It's really wild how Super Mario Odyssey has outsold the last 25 years of Sonic games... One game on one platform outsold everything they did for the past 25 years

The difference... Nintendo invested in the Mario IP at a quality standard while Sega tries to dollar general their way to making Sonic games.

Sonic IP is as popular as ever. Sega got to invest in getting Sonic up to that Mario level again.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
This definitely is sounding like a 7.5-8 game that could be 8-9 with a few patches.

Most of the complaints are just relatively minor technical issues like pop in. In any case I already pre-ordered so I guess I'll see in a day. Although it's premature since the game isn't out yet, but I wonder if there will be DLC.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I played about 30 minutes of it last night.

Quick impressions:
Controls felt a bit "loose" if that makes sense in the platforming levels. The two levels I played were VERY short, much shorter than I anticipated. I hope this isn't the case for later levels. I almost thought it was a tutorial.

Graphics look a bit underwhelming even on PC. FPS is capped at 60, cutscenes are 30fps. The cutscene visuals appear low res and the graphics doesn't seem to give you this next gen impression. It's clearly a cross-gen game.

The music is a bit mellow for a Sonic game tbh in the overworld. Nothing really stood out cept level 1-2 which seemed to be kind of alright.

The gameplay seems tight so far. The combo moves and homing attacks feel solid. I think this mechanic can stay for future Sonic games if they continue this quasi open world trend.

The overworld so far seems really basic and has nothing really interesting going on. It's just floating rails and bumpers with boxes of rings all over the place for no apparent reason. I'd prefer had they kept this overworld but instead used themed levels such as Super Mario Odyssey but this may be subject to change as I play more.

The story so far is very basic and isn't really telling you anything. These non-sonic-looking enemies just appear out of nowhere and I'm just fighting them for what? The game is trying to go for a serious tone but the dialogue doesn't mesh with the tone from Sonic so far.

So far I like it, I only spent about $25 on it(went half on Steam with my cousin). I'll play more today before the real deal comes out God of War.