SOHH, Baldur's Gate 3 really about to eat LoadingScreenfield's lunch, huh?

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
baldurs gate is damn near decades old but DnD has exposure from massive tabletop community to literally movies that just came out to podcasts to a whole ass genre within gaming - its not niche if its persistent is consistent across media

i legit do not get why yal be like this lol

The genre is a niche it is not a genre that appeals to general gamers and really boils down to an acquired taste. This particular game seems to be the exception where it seems to have gained the entire gaming communities attention. Prior to this can you name another CRPG title that had everyone buzzing? Even masterpieces in the genre like WOTR didn’t really make any waves among general gamers.

And DnD definitely isn’t mainstream yes attempts have been made to bring it to a wider audience but it never sticks.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
The genre is a niche it is not a genre that appeals to general gamers and really boils down to an acquired taste. This particular game seems to be the exception where it seems to have gained the entire gaming communities attention. Prior to this can you name another CRPG title that had everyone buzzing? Even masterpieces in the genre like WOTR didn’t really make any waves among general gamers.

And DnD definitely isn’t mainstream yes attempts have been made to bring it to a wider audience but it never sticks.
Honestly, I think DnD is somewhat mainstream now. It's having a very successful media run. Stranger Things heavily involves DnD, and I am sure it made some curious about DnD. Plus, there was a DnD film that made profit and received great reviews. I do agree it's not mainstream yet, but I think it's building towards becoming mainstream.

I fully agree about CRPGs not being a popular genre. We've actually had some real good to great ones in the past 10 years and none of them got any buzz despite receiving great reviews. It's why I am shocked this game is blowing up the way it is.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I don't think it's fair to say that Baldur's Gate franchise is Shenmue status. While it's very old, the games are beloved in certain circles and often on Top 10 lists.

The positive word of mouth and organic marketing have really propelled this game with more casual audiences though