Software Development and Programming Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Yo, so the the bootcamp Im in (100Devs) wants us to do a nice project that means something to us for our portfolio. I decided to make a sort of Trucker Journal. Website where you basically can make notes about shippers/receivers/brokers you deal with. I used to drive trucks and remember having notebooks filled writing down various notes/routing about all the places I picked up and dropped off to. If I wanted to remember what notes I had for a certain place, I wouldve had to flip through a bunch of pages. Wouldve been nice if I could just search and find the info I wrote.

Rough mark up of it. MVP is due 9/27. We just went over auth in class. Really excited to make this.

14d6afa0184f7f031c7184bdc0a53dd4.png

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
So I will officially be starting the new job in couple weeks. Current job is actually going to let me leave early, so I'll have about a week off. I'm excited brehs. AWS shop, using Python/Pyspark/SQL. And it looks like I'll have a manager that won't be so busy and pulled in different directions, so my continual development will be a focus. Plus they have training/conference budget. Im ready to be outside a couple times a week.

Had two companies come in late with offers, but I prefer to not to break my word for either of them. Hopefully I can get myself to architect/lead role quickly.

Daps
So I will officially be starting the new job in couple weeks. Current job is actually going to let me leave early, so I'll have about a week off. I'm excited brehs. AWS shop, using Python/Pyspark/SQL. And it looks like I'll have a manager that won't be so busy and pulled in different directions, so my continual development will be a focus. Plus they have training/conference budget. Im ready to be outside a couple times a week.

Had two companies come in late with offers, but I prefer to not to break my word for either of them. Hopefully I can get myself to architect/lead role quickly.

What kind of salary does a job like this pay? If you don't want to say it here, can you pm me?

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
What kind of salary does a job like this pay? If you don't want to say it here, can you pm me?
No problem. Total salary, in NYC winds up being in the 175-200k range. The lead role, I'm assuming gets above 200k, as I have a friend who graduated my school a year before me, and he's above 200k. I also could have got to around that in Charlotte, NC as well, though the base salary would've been lower.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No problem. Total salary, in NYC winds up being in the 175-200k range. The lead role, I'm assuming gets above 200k, as I have a friend who graduated my school a year before me, and he's above 200k. I also could have got to around that in Charlotte, NC as well, though the base salary would've been lower.
How many yoe do you have?

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
How many yoe do you have?
About 10 years. Though, I've been seeing people with less years get into the space earlier in their careers and they're able to get to 125-150k earlier than I was able to. I'm non entirely sure if that's mainly FAANG/Fortune 100 companies or if that's the market in general.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I did create the website using Hugo, but never published any posts. Its been sitting there idle for a long time now. Not sure if I got any interesting shyt to post, really.
Have you tried just writing rough draft blog posts in like a notes area? I know people with blogs usually suggest having a backlog of material first.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Yo, so the the bootcamp Im in (100Devs) wants us to do a nice project that means something to us for our portfolio. I decided to make a sort of Trucker Journal. Website where you basically can make notes about shippers/receivers/brokers you deal with. I used to drive trucks and remember having notebooks filled writing down various notes/routing about all the places I picked up and dropped off to. If I wanted to remember what notes I had for a certain place, I wouldve had to flip through a bunch of pages. Wouldve been nice if I could just search and find the info I wrote.

Rough mark up of it. MVP is due 9/27. We just went over auth in class. Really excited to make this.
Routing is basically done on all of this. Im using Materialize (CSS), EJS, Mongo/Mongoose, Express to build it. I wanted to try my hand at Tailwinds CSS since it looks cool, but getting it to work with EJS has been a pain, so went with materialize(Traversy Media used it in a Auth/Nodejs vid and it seemed ok).

Im not a CSS guy, so just went with a card layout for most of my stuff :francis: :lolbron:
7de12f0c5f818c9ce5a64b2c5181b25f.png

View All Companies page. Switched to shorter squares instead of the rectangles because they were too long imo. Was just meant to give a quickview of your entries. You can hit view to be taken to a page that gives you all the info.
a9e8a4754e7644c5c9f85a7d6e7d7dda.png

Journal page
e0f665060386ff5dec8fc52993124feb.png

Signup/Login/Add Company,/Add Broker pages are just basic input form looking with no styling. The view all brokers page will look like the view all companies page.

Working with EJS is kinda fun. Writing the logic and stuff to spit out html is cool. Having it loop through all the documents in the db with forEach and being able to apply the html and stuff how you want it was cool. Using the ternary operator for the html was interesting too. I just wrote a ternary operator to check if email for the company is in the db. If it is, list it and if not put "Email not given". Was cool using it in routing too. For each of the "view page" buttons I just had ejs take the unique db ids for each company and add that as a parameter to the routing.

Overall really enjoying it so far. Doing the smallest stuff, like setting up the unique routing for the company pages using req.params/mongo id had me like this when it worked:
200w.gif

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
so how many of you guys leave your zoom video on during meetings without realizing it?

I feel like it happens to me on a weekly basis lol , so far nothing out of the ordinary has happened .

Mike809

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx
Turn video on :picard: ? I wish the fukk I would get Jeff Toobin'd :skip:
They don't make me turn the video on or anything like that.

It's just that sometimes when i hop into a zoom meeting , the video is turned on by default and i don't realize until several minutes later which
then i turned it off.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
They don't make me turn the video on or anything like that.

It's just that sometimes when i hop into a zoom meeting , the video is turned on by default and i don't realize until several minutes later which
then i turned it off.
I have a built in camera cover so even if that happened I'm safe. Came in handy when I was sharing my screen and some keyboard shortcut lined up with Teams or WebEx or some shyt.

It happened and a young Nap trying to be funny was like hey Obreh, are you black :mjpls: ?
I thought I was going to have to come see his ass about some shyt :dame: . But then he was like your video is blacked out.